Worst Trade in CBJ Franchise History?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
In fairness, I hope we aren't going to evaluate a defenseman solely on the number of goals he scores.
Because of the circumstances under which he was acquired, in the eyes of some, Seth Jones will forever suck no matter what happens nor whatever subsequent circumstances may come about. Likewise, because of the circumstances under which he was shipped out, in the eyes of some, Ryan Johansen will forever suck no matter what happens nor whatever subsequent circumstances may come about. It's their cross to bear.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Third for me is the Wiz for Karlson/Borque trade. Karlson may wind up as a decent 3rd line center who can PK, but that's not worth trading our best PP QB since Quint.

I don't know if you've noticed but Wiz's body is kind of done. Jarmo sold high on him.

CBJ Bob

Summer Time Blues
Jun 20, 2002
In Hiding
Visit site
I voted fro the deal that brought Federov here. I'm surprised it hasn't garnered more votes. Federov was old and expensive. We did get a couple of good months from him though. Beauchiman (sp) was young, cheap and loaded with potential. The worst trade of the McLean ERROR (IMO).

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
I voted fro the deal that brought Federov here. I'm surprised it hasn't garnered more votes. Federov was old and expensive. We did get a couple of good months from him though. Beauchiman (sp) was young, cheap and loaded with potential. The worst trade of the McLean ERROR (IMO).

Bauchemin was also just picked up off waivers from Montreal a year before the trade, after not being able to crack the Habs roster. He looked like an AHL player, and our defense was so awful that he was able to make our lineup.

In hindsight, of course we look silly for trading the Bushman, but who would have figured he'd transform into a legitimate NHL contributor playing with Scott Neidermayer?

The trade was a last ditch effort to try to make something of Zherdev. It didn't work, but Tyler was about done and FB was a prospect that couldn't cut it elsewhere (not unlike Ron Hainsey, actually). I don't think it matches up with the Gaborik and Carter debacles.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Federov was old and expensive. We did get a couple of good months from him though.

I'll leave off the hindsight portion beyond we say almost not of his "loaded potential". As far as Federov, he preformed pretty well for two seasons - not two months. He had checked out for the most part, but he was still fairly productive. No, it wasn't worth his salary, but I don't think the trade was all that bad.

That final season here was a bit of a disaster, but I didn't mind his first two seasons. It was nice watching him and man was he talented. He had to be since he wasn't all that invested.

No it wasn't a great trade, but hardly something I would have used against DM. Letting Ray Whitney go for a year on his contract was infinitely more stupid. Letting go of Dave King was right up there.

On a side note, our head coaches outside of Arniel haven't been that bad in our history. GG wasn't ready, but that was on DM not GG. Our GM's have been pretty poor and I'm starting to sour on this FO.

Last edited:

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I'll leave off the hindsight portion beyond we say almost not of his "loaded potential". As far as Federov, he preformed pretty well for two seasons - not two months. He had checked out for the most part, but he was still fairly productive. No, it wasn't worth his salary, but I don't think the trade was all that bad.

That final season here was a bit of a disaster, but I didn't mind his first two seasons. It was nice watching him and man was he talented. He had to be since he wasn't all that invested.

No it wasn't a great trade, but hardly something I would have used against DM. Letting Ray Whitney go for a year on his contract was infinitely more stupid. Letting go of Dave King was right up there.

Yes, yes and yes.

Fedorov was never as bad here as his haters made him out to be. That deal got CBJ out of the Marchant contract, Wright was a throw-in and while losing Beachemin is bad now, he wasn't exactly highly thought of at that time (again, as others pointed out CBJ snatched him for free off waivers). Credit to him for upping his game (with a much better team, it is fair to note), but I've never gotten too hung up on deals where an unheralded player happens to blossom elsewhere. Glencross being another.

Not totally absolving the CBJ of blame. Why couldn't those guys be good here and/or why didn't CBJ see what other team's eventually found?

The organization's done plenty of things to anger me over the years but being one of several teams to not be a good fit for an unheralded player who winds up having future success? That's never bothered me that much.

The Whitney decision, however, was bad not just in hindsight, but also at that time. That's one reason that one still sticks with me.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
The Whitney decision, however, was bad not just in hindsight, but also at that time. That's one reason that one still sticks with me.

Whitney was the worst player personnel move by far I agree (second was naming Nash captain)

Doug was worried about 1 more year and the guy is still playing! Additionally Doug at some point said he could only play LW and was blocking Nash but at other points after his time with the CBJ he played the RW and even a little C.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Whitney was the worst player personnel move by far I agree (second was naming Nash captain)

Doug was worried about 1 more year and the guy is still playing! Additionally Doug at some point said he could only play LW and was blocking Nash but at other points after his time with the CBJ he played the RW and even a little C.

True this. :rant:

I was so pissed after this bone-headed move by XGMDM that I damn near dropped my season tickets.

To this day, this infuriates me. I know this is a trade thread, but by far this was DM's worst move ever.

Didn't he eventually acknowledge that he made a huge mistake? Probably not with his super sized ego, but I seam to remember that maybe he did, in a weaker moment.

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
Probably not the worst, but among the worst in my mind is the Jason Chimera/Chirs Clark trade. Clark was largely forgettable here (does he still work for the Jackets in player development?), but Chimera has been a solid player for the Caps. His grit and versatility would have been great for the Jackets these last few seasons.

EdwardG

Let's Dance!
Mar 17, 2009
Columbus
Carter trade was the worst and the dumbest. I don't understand why they traded for a star player like that without first finding out if he wanted to be here. It was a bad situation made worse by Carter's deplorable attitude.

paragon

May 5, 2010
Carter trade was the worst and the dumbest. I don't understand why they traded for a star player like that without first finding out if he wanted to be here. It was a bad situation made worse by Carter's deplorable attitude.
And the return Carter brought. Johnson is a poor man's Phaneuf that makes less money.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com

From what I heard they did, but a certain president wanted the trade to happen. Not to mention the guy just signed like a 10 year contract and was a year removed from the Stanley Cup finals....i think he wanted to stick around. I'd like to think i'd act differently, but man, that would be a hard one not to be royally pissed off about, especially when we were DEAD last.

Inquiring Minds

Jul 12, 2007
Grandview, Ohio

What are the rules about tampering?
And if you are Philly, are you going to want us talking with Carter before the trade is finalized? A) Do you want Columbus to see his attitude and B) Do you want Carter to know you are shopping him? Then you are stuck with his attitude if the deal falls through.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I don't know if you've noticed but Wiz's body is kind of done. Jarmo sold high on him.

I think it's too early to say this. Anaheim didn't really utilize him at all but he could definitely still skate well. Then he just had a bad injury that hampers many athletes. We'll have to see how he returns.

I agree it was good that Jarmo sold high on him to Anaheim, but not because he can't still be effective due to his body.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
Re: Whitney

Nobody could have predicted the rule changes coming out of the lockout. It gave the Whitneys, Brieres, etc. the careers they had.

I would have given him the 4th year, but in hindsight it's easy to gloss over that this was also the era. And he already had a significant back injury.

The biggest misstep was early when we drafted or acquired these big bodied players. The rule changes opened the game and required skaters. We didn't have much of that in the cupboard.

brianhatesu

Aug 8, 2003
Dayton
Visit site
Also regarding Whitney, nobody knew how they were going to handle the lockout year that they knew was coming. So the 4 year deal could possible turn into 5 with the possibitly of the player sitting out a year. Most times a player of Whitney's age would have a hard time recovering from the layoff.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
True this. :rant:

I was so pissed after this bone-headed move by XGMDM that I damn near dropped my season tickets.

To this day, this infuriates me. I know this is a trade thread, but by far this was DM's worst move ever.

Didn't he eventually acknowledge that he made a huge mistake? Probably not with his super sized ego, but I seam to remember that maybe he did, in a weaker moment.

He turned around and made the same mistake with that defenseman that went on to play for Colorado. Name escapes me right now.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
I chose Gaborik trade, because it was just bad coming and hot steamy **** going. On his trade to LA, I knew a month before the trade deadline Jarmo was going to dump him for nothing and said he would be better staying for the playoffs.

The whole "he doesn't fit our style of play" because we're a blue collar team was BS. Gaborik played 8 seasons with the Wild under Jacques Lemaire. Other than Gaborik not being quite as physical (checking) due to injury history, there's nothing Todd Richards was doing on the ice that Gaborik couldn't handle.

Jarmo panicked that Gaborik may only be healthy a couple weeks and dumped him. Gaborik's always been injury prone, so shouldn't have been any surprise to Jarmo. But when healthy, Gaborik was always productive. It was only our 2nd trip to the playoffs and we sold at the trade deadline "for the future...brick by brick...it's not a sprint...blah...blah...****ing blah". Oh, and our future? We've been rewarded with two league door mat seasons. :rant:

I didn't choose Jeff Carter, cause I blame Carter more so than anyone. I don't recall any player EVER acting like that in any major sport, seriously... hiding in his house for a week after the trade?...how can a GM even suspect a player will act like a pouty little *****?

The Clarkson trade has potential to move up the rankings if it costs us a key player in an expansion draft. The decision not to have some insurance on Horton was definitely one of the worse management decisions in franchise history. What a disaster. You give out your largest contract and don't protect the team? Jarmo's reasoning was like listening to someone rationalize that since they couldn't get flood insurance on their home, they decided to skip fire and theft insurance too. Now, in addition to the $30 million cap/salary lock-up for 6 years, we may lose a player that we can't protect because we may be required to use protection Clarkson.:shakehead

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I didn't choose Jeff Carter, cause I blame Carter more so than anyone. I don't recall any player EVER acting like that in any major sport, seriously... hiding in his house for a week after the trade?...how can a GM even suspect a player will act like a pouty little *****?

Happens every once in a while in NFL (draft) - John Elway forced a trade, Bo Jackson said he wouldn't play and went to baseball a few years.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
Can I provincially add whatever return we get if we're crazy enough to trade down from 3OV this year? I feel like that's going to burn us badly, if it comes to pass.

PubOFH

Nov 17, 2005
Johnstown, OH
Easily Beauchemin, Wright for Fedorov. We lost out on a number 1 Defenseman and a top Character guy for a washed up, lazy, overpaid has been. But then again...nobody ever said Doug MaClean made good trades or moves. That guy set our franchise back decades.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Easily Beauchemin, Wright for Fedorov. We lost out on a number 1 Defenseman and a top Character guy for a washed up, lazy, overpaid has been. But then again...nobody ever said Doug MaClean made good trades or moves. That guy set our franchise back decades.

Been waiting for that Pub! Nice to see you drop by, now and then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad