Worst Trade Ever ?

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
The Racers were pretty set on selling him off. That said, he would have been '79 eligible, I think, and the Colorado Rockies had 1st overall. But, he could have also have been '80 eligible. Montreal picked 1st in '80. But, I'm not sure Colorado would have traded the pick had Gretzky been available.

So, he likely would have gone to the Colorado Rockies.

That is an interesting thought...

Actually no one knows if Gretzky would have gone 1st overall. At the time alot of GM's doubted that Gretzky could make it at the hard hitting NHL level due to his size and his lack of psyical play. I know in the 79 draft Rammage was going 1st overall because he was the "prize" of the draft and in 80' Montreal was for sure going to take Savard at #1 but shocked the hockey world with taking Doug Wickenhiser (one of the worst 1st overall picks of all time)

Don't get me wrong, some GM's were really high on Gretzky but back then if he was drafted i wouldnt be surprised if he went 5th-12th overall.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
This is the Rockies we are talking about. I have no doubt Miron would have been stupid enough to trade that pick.

Gretz might have save the Rockies.

Like i said i doubt Gretzky would have gone 1st overall in either of those drafts. Alot of players have put up insane numbers in juniors and wernt drafted till 2nd, 3rd rounds. Rob Brown is a good example. Back then no one had any idea that Gretzky would be putting up 200 point seasons.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Many players put up huge numbers in junior in their final year. There are very few who do it in their draft year. Some do and bust (Brendl) but it's not that common.

Also, remember, he would have had a 100 point season in the WHA under his belt

JaymzB

Apr 8, 2003
Toronto
Like i said i doubt Gretzky would have gone 1st overall in either of those drafts. Alot of players have put up insane numbers in juniors and wernt drafted till 2nd, 3rd rounds. Rob Brown is a good example. Back then no one had any idea that Gretzky would be putting up 200 point seasons.

If I'm not mistaken, the reason Sam Pollack traded for the 1st overall pick in 1980 was under the old rules Gretzky would have been available, and he wanted to pick Wayne. I'm not sure when the trade for the pick occured, but I think it was during the 78-79 season??

I just wasn't sure if WHA players from a defunct team automaticly went into the draft, or if there was a dispersal type draft that occured.

Padan

Aug 16, 2006
To Vancouver:

Geoff Courtnall (246 points in 292 games for the Canucks)
Cliff Ronning (328 points in 366 games)
Sergio Momesso (141 points in 269 games)
Robert Dirk

To St. Louis:

Garth Butcher
Dan Quinn (played only 14 games for the Blues)

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Many players put up huge numbers in junior in their final year. There are very few who do it in their draft year. Some do and bust (Brendl) but it's not that common.

Also, remember, he would have had a 100 point season in the WHA under his belt

Gretzky had a ridiculous year as a 16 year old in the OHL then dominated the junior tournament and was perhaps the best player in the WHA in the regular season and the playoffs as a 17 year old. While I believe that there were doubts about Gretzky with some NHL GMs at the time becuse he was small and thin but I think he goes first overall. He dominated as a 17 year old in the WHA. Anyone who scouted him in the WHA would have wanted to draft him. Someone would have traded up to first overall to get him.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
If I'm not mistaken, the reason Sam Pollack traded for the 1st overall pick in 1980 was under the old rules Gretzky would have been available, and he wanted to pick Wayne. I'm not sure when the trade for the pick occured, but I think it was during the 78-79 season??

I just wasn't sure if WHA players from a defunct team automaticly went into the draft, or if there was a dispersal type draft that occured.

Says the trade was in 1976

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Daniel Briere to Buffalo for Chris Gratton

Teemu Selanne to anaheim for Chad Kilger ,and Oleg Tverdosky

Dave Babych for Ray Nufeld

daverx

Mar 9, 2004
ONT,CANADA
To Detroit - Kris Draper
To Winnipeg - $1

Drafted 62nd overall in the 1989 Draft by the Winnipeg Jets, Draper did not see much action in his early years. He is a rarity in that he played in the AHL and NHL before playing junior in the Ontario Hockey League. After playing just 20 games in the 4 seasons since he was drafted, he was traded to Detroit in 1993 for a dollar.[1] Draper would quickly become a valuable fixture in Detroit's rotation.

Does not get much lower than that for value:shakehead

J0e Th0rnton*

We are not talking value. We are talking, pound for pound worst player for player trade.
I don;t know why people keep bringing up draft picks. Nobody ever knows how well a player is going to turn out. Tons of "sure things" in drafts go on to have mediocre careers or disappoint(Alexander Daigle, Trevor Kidd, etc)

Thinking player for player trades, Boston Robbed Vancouver for Neely. Then the Neely trade in reverse, Thornton shipped for a 2 3rd liners and a 4th Dman.

Of all time. Gretzky being sold for cold hard cash.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
My Leafs have had some doozies, i.e. Tom Kurvers for a first rounder (niedemayer)

if NJ didn't draft niedermeyer would this trade even be considered? I still think it was a terrible deal and perfect example why you don't trade a draft pick that is more then 1 year away from you trading.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Thinking player for player trades, Boston Robbed Vancouver for Neely. Then the Neely trade in reverse, Thornton shipped for a 2 3rd liners and a 4th Dman.

I'm not sure the Neely trade was quite as bad at the time as people make it seem like. Barry Pederson looks to have been a hell of a player right up untill the time of the Neely trade.

In his 6 NHL seasons up till that point he had 408 points in 347 games, and 52 points in 34 playoff games. He was only like 25.

Looks like injuries did him in though, while Neely more than doubled his production as soon as he arrived in Boston.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
So Gretzky could have ended up a Canadien? That would have been unreal.

The vast majority of WHA players had their rights owned by an NHL team. Gretzky was one of the exceptions, not sure who else was.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
To Detroit - Kris Draper
To Winnipeg - $1

Drafted 62nd overall in the 1989 Draft by the Winnipeg Jets, Draper did not see much action in his early years. He is a rarity in that he played in the AHL and NHL before playing junior in the Ontario Hockey League. After playing just 20 games in the 4 seasons since he was drafted, he was traded to Detroit in 1993 for a dollar.[1] Draper would quickly become a valuable fixture in Detroit's rotation.

Does not get much lower than that for value:shakehead

A canadian dollar...that they were never paid.:biglaugh:

Northern Dancer

The future ain't what it used to be.
Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC
if NJ didn't draft niedermeyer would this trade even be considered? I still think it was a terrible deal and perfect example why you don't trade a draft pick that is more then 1 year away from you trading.

It was actually worse than that. The Leafs were tied with Quebec Nordiques for last over-all a month AFTER the above trade. The Leafs and Nordiques then made the following trade 'to Toronto, Lucien Deblois,Aaron Broten and Michel Petit for Scott Pearson and Toronto's 2nd round choices in 1991'.

That trade effectively allowed Toronto to improve somewhat that year and guaranteed that Quebec would finish LAST over-all giving them the famous Eric Lindros pick the following year. In my opinion the Leafs did that trade to prevent them the dubious honour of trading the rights to Eric Lindros for Tom Kurvers!!!

So the bottom line is that Toronto could have possibly ended up with Eric Lindros as a rookie without the Kurvers NJD trade and the subsequent cover-up trade with Quebec.

:banghead:

JaymzB

Apr 8, 2003
Toronto
So Gretzky could have ended up a Canadien? That would have been unreal.

The vast majority of WHA players had their rights owned by an NHL team. Gretzky was one of the exceptions, not sure who else was.

Makes sense now that I think about it.

Yeah, just imagine Gretzky with the Habs after 1980. How many cups do they win? How much longer does Lafleur play? How many do the Oilers win? Any? Does Gretzky get as many points? More? Less?

As a Hab fan, I certainly would have loved to find out.

Wetcoaster

In previous threads we concluded that the Dryden trade is the worst ever.

To Boston:
Guy Allen (5 seasons of minor pro)
Paul Reid (Never played minor pro)

To Montreal:
Ken Dryden (6 cups, 6 1st all-star selections.)
Alex Campbell (1 season of minor pro.)

Final result, 1 NHLer and that player is a hall of famer.
That is the one for me.

Also failure of the Rangers to sign Gordie Howe to a contract when he attended their training camp ranks up as one of the biggest blunders of all time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad