Worst Rangers trade of all time

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Poti was a pretty good player on a terrible team. He had a significantly better career than York. I heard from the Islanders trainers that York was an epic ****** too, which made me sad because I was such a big fan of him on the Rangers.

Frankly, the people that hated Poti tend to be the same goofs that hated Zubov. And there is still a lot of them in the older-than-40 crowd. Playing with jam and running around hitting people is more important than keeping the puck out of your net or scoring goals. Where does that sound familiar?

I dont see how anyone can, without bias, say that Poti was terrible for the Rangers... but good for you for loving Zubov. I loved Zubov. Everyone should be required to love Zubov.

Poti wasn't bad and people hated Zubov??

Not in my circles, ever. I mean, I'm trying to be 100% unbiased on this, I can't for the life of me think of any NYR fan I've even known that hated Zubie.

Poti wasn't a great player but plenty of people in hockey made a big deal about him. You should read what our GM said about him back then, you would have thought we had landed the next Bobby Orr.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

Not in my circles, ever. I mean, I'm trying to be 100% unbiased on this, I can't for the life of me think of any NYR fan I've even known that hated Zubie.

Yeah, can't say I remember it that way.

Poti wasn't a great player but plenty of people in hockey made a big deal about him. You should read what our GM said about him back then, you would have thought we had landed the next Bobby Orr.

His aversion to physical play aside, the biggest issue I had with Poti was he was a supposed to be an offfensive defenseman who did't produce as such. And he had all the gifts to be.

Eventually, he devolved into a serviceable defenseman who relied on using a freakishly long stick. And seemed satisfied with being that.

He could have been so much more.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Nor I
His aversion to physical play aside, the biggest issue I had with Poti was he was a supposed to be an offfensive defenseman who did't produce as such. And he had all the gifts to be.

Eventually, he devolved into a serviceable defenseman who relied on using a freakishly long stick. And seemed satisfied with being that.

Not sure if he could have been. Or rather, that would have required a complete rewiring of his brain. It is one thing not to be a physical player, it is quite another to go out of your way to avoid contact. In that aspect, Jeff Bloomberg could have been more assertive.

ghouston6

Feb 7, 2016
I know Craig Mactavish was a big part of the cup winning team but how about the deadline trade Smith made with Edmonton for Todd Marchant

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I know Craig Mactavish was a big part of the cup winning team but how about the deadline trade Smith made with Edmonton for Todd Marchant

There are two components to evaluating any trade, in my view.

1. Is it a good swap of assets?
2. Did it work out the way it was intended?

To me, it has to fail on both of these levels to qualify as an answer to this question. Marchant for MacTavish probably qualifies for the first one, but not the second one. All of the deadline deals in 1994 fall in this category with the possible exception of the Gartner-Anderson one.

MSL deal maybe doesn't fit the first criteria, but also fits the second.

The Zubov deal, the Kurri deal, the Hodge deal, the Carpenter deal... None of these had the intended outcome and none of them were good asset swaps.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Everyone will look back on the '94 trades and wonder. The one thing that everyone knows as iron fact is that the Rangers won the Cup. Once in 75 years is a lot.

Could they have won more with Amonte, Weight, Marchant? Possibly. It us undeniable that it hurt not having them. But the Cup was the Cup.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005

I've probably never met a Ranger fan under the age of maybe 42 that disliked Zubov. But the older crowd was/is pretty hateful in general. The younger crowd is still hateful, but as a rule they love and revere anything '94 related. With the old guys, aside from maybe Graves I don't think there was a Ranger of my generation that they universally loved. Everyone on that '93 team got ripped. They hated Messier when he came back and even Leetch got a ton of crap before they won the cup, half of them wanted to trade him for Chelios.

As for Zubov, he was soft and he was soviet. Those were two things that tended to irk older fans. When the Rangers signed Stu Grimson to an offer sheet with the idea that they were going to trade Zubov for a forward there was dancing in the streets of sunset park.

So yeah, I am legit shocked that the bold is true. Then again Zubie was a '94 hero and everything and everyone involved in '94 has been glossed over.

Poti was a producer when he was used in a role suited for him, which mainly happened when Leetch was banged up. Poti had 8 points in 11 games after getting acquired and led the Rangers D-men in points and was 7th overall in the league in his first full year, on a team with below average scoring and a mediocre PP. I'm pretty sure he is the last Rangers defenseman to finish the season in the top 10 in D-man scoring.

And he got booed mercilessly for his efforts. Which sounds about right.

Mandar

The Real Maven
Sep 27, 2013
The Tarheel State

In a thread titled "Worst Ranger Trades of all-time".....out of the many, many examples, this one is brought up?

I counter your sample above with the infamous Cam Connor for Don Murdoch deal.....awful..... :eek:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I don't recall any fans I knew that hated Zubov at all. Poti was a different story and during the time of this board. The toughness over skill wasn't the case with Zubie IMO.

I remember him getting quite a bit of heat from fans back in 1995 for a number of reasons.

I wouldn't say that he was hated, but he certainly wasn't beloved either.

Even in the infancy of the internet, there was a lot of frustration over his aversion to shooting the puck, his ability to withstand a physical game and his defensive choices.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad