Worst GM in the league right now

Who is the worst GM in the league right now?

• Total voters

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
he's one of the worst. Didn't he trade every 1st rounder dating back from 2011 to 2017 or something insane like that?

Yeah he was pretty bad.

You can't really fault him for the Toews and Kane contracts. Kane has been worth every penny. Toews deserved to be paid. He was the captain. Nothing he could do there. And Toews hasn't been a total disaster.

But giving up a 1st for Ladd? Seabrook deal? Firing Quenneville? Trading Bradman? Yeah. Not good whatsoever.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
You can't really fault him for the Toews and Kane contracts.

won't fault him on those ones, not even the Keith or Seabrook signings either. It was their core, their heart and souls of the team. But trying to circumvent cap penalty by saying Hossa has allergies to hockey equipment is quite funny.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
The funny thing is the top 3 (Benning, Dubas, Bergevin) are all a part of the larger Canadian markets. Coincidence? I think not... don’t get me wrong I feel Benning has earned top spot. Idiotic UFA signings and his communication skills are lacking.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I guess Bergevin is off the list again for the time being. His acquisitions have paid off in the playoffs. While some of the other GM's have not.

Last edited:

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Stan Bowman doesn't get enough heat on these boards. He's destroyed that team. A team, by the way, built to win three cups by Tallon.

Him and Kekalainen.

Poll seems to be dominated by the loud section of Habs fans here who still aren't over the Subban trade and have this kind of Bergevin derangement syndrome. There was a poll on the Habs board and 50% wanted the Habs to lose to the Leafs if it helped get Bergevin fired. Really weird gutter crew there of Bergevin obsessed haters.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Him and Kekalainen.

Poll seems to be dominated by the loud section of Habs fans here who still aren't over the Subban trade and have this kind of Bergevin derangement syndrome. There was a poll on the Habs board and 50% wanted the Habs to lose to the Leafs if it helped get Bergevin fired. Really weird gutter crew there of Bergevin obsessed haters.
Bergevin's moves have been difference makers in the playoffs, he did one thing right that tipped the scales in the playoff series against the Leafs. He signed Perry, which was reported wanted to go to Toronto but Dubas chose to sign Simmonds instead. Bergevin picked correctly, Dubas did not. This is a good example of a GM making a difference in a playoff series. Perry scored the game winning goal in game 7, and has been very effective in the playoffs while Simmonds and the Leafs are out.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
When this fairy tale run ends what’s going to happen to the Habs next year?

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Bergevin's moves have been difference makers in the playoffs, he did one thing right that tipped the scales in the playoff series against the Leafs. He signed Perry, which was reported wanted to go to Toronto but Dubas chose to sign Simmonds instead. Bergevin picked correctly, Dubas did not. This is a good example of a GM making a difference in a playoff series. Perry scored the game winning goal in game 7, and has been very effective in the playoffs while Simmonds and the Leafs are out.

Little bit too much credit here, Bergevin offered Simmonds more money than Toronto and settled on Perry. A lot of his moves have aged well, but he's still created a lot of his own problems on the roster

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
Snow built almost that whole team. I’m very fair to the Islanders, but they have a terrible GM. His decision’s are not good.

Snow brought in many of the players we still have, but were not able to find any real tangible success beforehand.

when Lou was first hired the isles organization was rotten from the inside out. His first order of business was firing snow and weight and hiring trotz who turned the team around completely and naming himself GM. Not to mention he brought Mitch korn with him who has been amazing for our goalies

he traded and signed pageau who has been our best all around forward and clutch playoff performers He let lehner walk and signed varlmov who has been great and was the usher in for getting Sorokin here, who refused to play under snow. He brought Leo over from Toronto who is great on D and does a lot of the little things. Brought Martin back who is great on the culture. Brought Andy green in who has been a superb and solid middle pairing value D man, signed mayfield to an insanely cheap contract, and most recently brought in palmeri over who is our leading playoff scorer and Zajac who filled in nicely for Whalstrom who got hurt last round.

it’s hard to look at this team in the summer of 2018 when he was hired and Tavares walked and think any of what they’ve been able to accomplish was possible. He has brought the team more success in his 3 years here than we’ve had since the dynasty days.

Saying he is the worst GM in the league is beyond a bad take..

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
When this fairy tale run ends what’s going to happen to the Habs next year?
Just get stronger. They will let go of Tatar (who is a healthy scratch) and move Drouin (unless he is fit to play next season). Likely lose one of Jake Allen / Chiarot in the expansion draft.

Re-sign Danault and Armia.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Snow brought in many of the players we still have, but were not able to find any real tangible success beforehand.

when Lou was first hired the isles organization was rotten from the inside out. His first order of business was firing snow and weight and hiring trotz who turned the team around completely and naming himself GM. Not to mention he brought Mitch korn with him who has been amazing for our goalies

he traded and signed pageau who has been our best all around forward and clutch playoff performers He let lehner walk and signed varlmov who has been great and was the usher in for getting Sorokin here, who refused to play under snow. He brought Leo over from Toronto who is great on D and does a lot of the little things. Brought Martin back who is great on the culture. Brought Andy green in who has been a superb and solid middle pairing value D man, signed mayfield to an insanely cheap contract, and most recently brought in palmeri over who is our leading playoff scorer and Zajac who filled in nicely for Whalstrom who got hurt last round.

it’s hard to look at this team in the summer of 2018 when he was hired and Tavares walked and think any of what they’ve been able to accomplish was possible. He has brought the team more success in his 3 years here than we’ve had since the dynasty days.

Saying he is the worst GM in the league is beyond a bad take..

I’ll give him credit for hiring Trotz. That’s about it. Any goalie would play well for Trotz. Varlamov wasn’t some genius signing. It was Trotz and Korn.

Some of these other decisions like Pageau, Palmieri, Zajac fit into the identity Lou wants out of that team and it’s brought some success, but it’s going to be a terrible bottoming out at some point with a lack of picks/prospects and bad contracts for older non-elite veterans. If it doesn’t lead to a Cup, was it worth it? He doesn’t understand what leads to a Cup in the current league. I think he’s going to run that team further into the ground, and there will likely be no Cup coming for it. Winning matters, but not at the expense of making sensible decisions.

I commend the Isles for how they’ve developed under Trotz and the success they’ve had, but I think it’s in spite of Lou. I think with a good GM they might actually have a team that could contend for the Cup with teams like Tampa, Colorado, and Vegas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad