Worst coaching ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lixxiq

@Lixxiq
Jan 27, 2007
Augsburg, GER

1:23 to go - Crosby forechecks, wants the puck back.
1:09 Malkin plays the puck deep without any other players chasing the puck. A giveaway.
1:05 Again good forechecking by Kunitz who goes behind the net
0:44 another bad giveaway. This time by Kunitz.
0:40 RIGHT HERE WE ARE DEAD. Alfredsson got the puck, Kunitz behind the net and there's no other player forechecking, being aggressive, putting pressure on them.

I mean, the goal was awesome. you definitely have to admit that, but we begged for it and I totally don't get this.
We didn't even try to pass the puck around. There's always a guy open. It's powerplay! Don't just give the puck away. Don't let them pull their goalie. (Well, the goal was so easy, it wasn't even necessary to pull the goalie)

I'm really really pissed off because this was completely needless. Completely.
And every guy with the slightest sense of hockey saw it coming with Kunitz (on top of that behind the net) the only guy in Ottawa's half and no forecheck at all.

As much as I like Coach Bylsma, but playing the puck deep twice, no forecheck at all, I think this one's totally up to him!

Last edited:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Bylsma's a ****ing idiot, but he's not to blame for what happened at the end of regulation. Even if he told them to play passive and fall back on the power play--which I don't think he did with Kunitz, Malkin, Sid and Letang out there--the players on the ice botched that play.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
The players ****ed up, but I guarantee it wasn't their choice to have 1 ****ing for-checker. And is they're gonna play a prevent D, how about you put your ****ing defensive players on the ice?

Top PP: Win the game in the offensive zone.
Defensive players: Win the game in the defensive zone
Trying to win the game in Dzone with the top PP: ****ing embarrassing loss

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
It's a situation that you have to look at, shake your head, shrug and just laugh at how amazing it is that it unfolded that way.

Throw all of your big guns out there for a PP with a minute and a half to go, yet have them play a passive, prevent-defense style? I don't even know if Bylsma is that stupid. I think we just witnessed some brain-dead, clowny hockey to end regulation last night.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Lesson learned, game over, on to game 4...

Bad playoff hockey by the coaches and the players. The Pens seem to zone out every once in a while. It gives the Sens a breath but we'll see how they respond next game.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston

Bad playoff hockey by the coaches and the players. The Pens seem to zone out every once in a while. It gives the Sens a breath but we'll see how they respond next game.

Lesson learned? How can you say that when DB continues to try to play the prevent? They did it last game and looked like ****. If DB learned from his mistakes he would have more that one ****ing PO series win in the last 4 years.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada

I don't think it was bad playoff hockey by the players really. Sure there were a few turn overs but the number was relatively low. Outside Iginla who was just a space filler all night and did nothing, Neal who looked really slow, and Sutter who missed about 4 golden chances to score. I think the D was really pretty good tonight, Martin was great. Malkin was flying around almost all game, even if he did **** up and let Alfie walk down the seam on the tying goal.

Bylsma screwed up by having Geno out there in the last 1:30 on the PP. Should have been Sid Sutter Dupuis Letang Martin. Sutter shoulda been on the ice over Malkin if for no other reason than insurance if Sid gets kicked out of the faceoff.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Lesson learned? How can you say that when DB continues to try to play the prevent? They did it last game and looked like ****. If DB learned from his mistakes he would have more that one ****ing PO series win in the last 4 years.

It's not straight prevent though, its not like the Pens weren't jumping when they got a chance to pick off passes and go in for rushes. They just werent sending 3 guys to forecheck. Pens held Sens to 1 shot in last 8+ minutes in game 2 and held them to 3 shots in last 8 mins game 3. Dunno what you wanted him to learn from playing the prevent though? It worked in game 2?

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
It's not straight prevent though, its not like the Pens weren't jumping when they got a chance to pick off passes and go in for rushes. They just werent sending 3 guys to forecheck. Pens held Sens to 1 shot in last 8+ minutes in game 2 and held them to 3 shots in last 8 mins game 3. Dunno what you wanted him to learn from playing the prevent though? It worked in game 2?

The 5-8 min before the PP was prolly the best hockey they've played all year. The Sens couldn't get the puck in the Ozone for more than 5 sec before the Pens got it back. Then the PP comes and they completely chance everything that was working for them all game.

How many leads have the Pens blown over the years under DB? I remember a time where if the pens were down by a goal goin into the 3rd I knew they were gonna win. Now, if they're up by 2 going into the 3rd I'm nervous cause I know they'll sit back and try to hold onto the win.

Gooch

May 28, 2008
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
I was livid through the whole entire overtime and most of the time after the game. This loss was completely on the coach, watching that lazy PP again it's clear that it was instructed to be like that and not just simply of the players playing lazy like such. When you sit back and allow the other team to "get to their game" like Bylsma allowed it was only a matter of when, not if Ottawa scored.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
They were playing an excellent trap with 4 players on their blueline all 3rd period long until that ****ing PP. For some crazy reason, they were so passive and almost not moving there and allowed free zone entry to the Sens on that tying goal. Kunitz was forechecking - OK, Sutter tried to hold the trap - OK, but he was the only one. Martin, Letang and Malkin were doing nothing. Not holding the trap, not covering the net or the players, completely out of positions. Massive structural fail on that one and a collective mistake really (Bylsma included).

That said, I am not worried at all. We are playing fine, it´s not like Ottawa is putting us under pressure like the Isles did. Next game is still pretty winnable.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Worst ever? Clearly nobody remembers the Eddie O Experiment.

Also, most odious use of hyperbole on the Pens board in the last 6 hours?

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
There's been worse but you do have to wonder what Eaton was doing. Lost his stick then chased the puck like a rabid dog instead of going for the man and protecting the net.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
No, we don't need a separate thread for this... for many reasons, not the least of which is the OP is based on a bad assumption: that player mistakes are always the result of coaching problems / a bad play called by the coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad