Worse spot after game 4 - LA series or Pittsburgh series

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
Pretty self explanatory. Are we in as deep a hole as in the Pittsburgh series? Do you think we're better off winning game 4 than winning game 1? Or are we in a worse position?

Poll incoming.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Worst spot vs. LA because the Rangers were thoroughly dominated tonight in comparison to game 4 vs. the Pens.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
I'd say worse only because LA is better than Pittsburgh and the Rangers matched up better against Pittsburgh.

Either way, win Game 5 and the tone of the series completely changes.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Worse now, Kings are much better than the Pens. Girardi and Staal look dreadful, nice to get a win though. Keep it going Friday.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I would say LA because they're a mentally strong team. Even if we beat them in game 5 we have to do it again two more times.

Once we beat the Pens in game 5 I was extremely confident because that team doesn't respond well to adversity. Once you start the ball rolling down the hill, that team unravels.

Riverdale

Jan 14, 2012
LA

Pittsburgh, while one of the best teams in the East, struggles in the playoffs. The Kings are elite and are a massive hill to climb; whether you are down or not.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
Does anybody else think the Rangers just do not draw strength from home ice the way other teams seem to, the way it proverbially works in sports?

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Obviously we are in a worse spot now. LA is a better all around team than Pitt. They can beat you in a number of ways - skill, grit, etc. And they make their opponents pay for their mistakes.

Also, lots of our players are struggling now and they weren't earlier against Pitt. Girardi, Staal, Richards, etc. are all playing worse than they were 2 rounds ago.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Worst spot vs. LA because the Rangers were thoroughly dominated tonight in comparison to game 4 vs. the Pens.

Um. Do you remember game 4 against the Pens? Rangers only put 15 shots on goal in that game, no period with more than 6, looked thoroughly dominated all game long, not just the last 30... and they lost. This after getting shutout the two prior games.

That being said, team's come back from down 3-1 around 8% of the time. Teams come back from down 3-0 about 0.0000000001% of the time. We're still in a worse spot despite the win.

Hockey Team

Hunger Force
Dec 30, 2009
New York, NY
Um. Do you remember game 4 against the Pens? Rangers only put 15 shots on goal in that game, no period with more than 6, looked thoroughly dominated all game long, not just the last 30... and they lost. This after getting shutout the two prior games.

That being said, team's come back from down 3-1 around 8% of the time. Teams come back from down 3-0 about 0.0000000001% of the time. We're still in a worse spot despite the win.

Well coming back from 3-0 is no longer a relevant stat, since it's now 3-1.

Just like if a series ends up 3-3, it doesn't really matter how it got there.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Well coming back from 3-0 is no longer a relevant stat, since it's now 3-1.

Just like if a series ends up 3-3, it doesn't really matter how it got there.

Please, that's nonsense. The team won 1 game of the 4 they need to win in a row in order to complete a comeback. The mountain is exactly the same height as it was before the game tonight.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Please, that's nonsense. The team won 1 game of the 4 they need to win in a row in order to complete a comeback. The mountain is exactly the same height as it was before the game tonight.

Nah, I disagree.

Now it's 3-1. What are the stats on teams coming back from 3-1?

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
Teams that get swept are in the same category as teams that lose in 5, 6, or 7. Team's that win 4 in a row are in the other category.

That's not how statistics work.

Teams that are swept were also down 3-0 series. Let's say as an example (and to keep it simple) that out of a 100 instances when a team went down 3-0 in a series, 6 teams managed to win. Let's also say there were 15 sweeps.

Statistically six out of 100 teams would come back from being down 3-0 or 6%. Six out of the remaining 85 teams (7%) would come back from being down 3-1.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
That's not how statistics work.

Teams that are swept were also down 3-0 series. Let's say as an example (and to keep it simple) that out of a 100 instances when a team went down 3-0 in a series, 6 teams managed to win. Let's also say there were 15 sweeps.

Statistically six out of 100 teams would come back from being down 3-0 or 6%. Six out of the remaining 85 teams (7%) would come back from being down 3-1.

Nice overcomplication, but it doesn't work for what we're talking about. There's only two kinds of teams in this scenario. The ones that win 4 in a row and the ones that don't.

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
Nice overcomplication, but it doesn't work for what we're talking about. There's only two kinds of teams in this scenario. The ones that win 4 in a row and the ones that don't.

I simplified it, I did not complicate it.

Actually it's not, since the scenario has changed. They don't need to win 4 in a row, they need to win 3 in a row.

If you look at probability of winning four straight (provided two equal teams, discounting outside factors like fatigue and refs), it's 6,25%. The probability of winning three straight is 12,5%.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I simplified it, I did not complicate it.

Actually it's not, since the scenario has changed. They don't need to win 4 in a row, they need to win 3 in a row.

If you look at probability of winning four straight (provided two equal teams, discounting outside factors like fatigue and refs), it's 6,25%. The probability of winning three straight is 12,5%.

They need to win 3 more in a row. The scenario is no different. They still need to put together a stretch of 4. You can't separate the scenario just because part of it is in the past now.

Look, I'm rooting for them to do it. I really hope they do. But there's a reason why this has only happened 4 times in NHL history. I'm just keeping any "belief" down, because there's really not much hope. Let the players take it one game at a time. That's their job. Not much point in us doing it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad