Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
IMG_5132.jpeg

Reactions: Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Latvia plays one of the best U18 tournaments in my memory. Down vs USA tho but at least we're winning the shots battle :laugh:

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Connelly 1 goal 2 assist so far
Eiserman nets another(currently at 6 in 2 2/3 games

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Leenders reminds me of Dostal a fair bit, quick twitch athlete but also technically sound. Probably the best combo of talent and refinement among goalies in this draft, but average size may keep him out of the first couple rounds.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I'm liking Hemming in the U18's. He's been on a tear on the PP, where all of his points come from. I think he's 4g + 1a and +1 rating in three games.

Many of his recent scouting report is he's projected as a 3rd line physical, power forward. His usage at the Liiga level is a 4th line physical forward, which has neutered his offense. And it feels like at ES play at the U18s, he's not helping Helenius out. It's all on the PP. At least there's some offensive ability there. If he can be good defensively, be physical, and have sound puck possession, then he might be a good get in the late first round - where he's been seen recently dropping. But if Hemming can translate some scoring at ES too, then his stock might incrementally rise.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Canada is routing Kazakhstan in the final minutes (11-3) but this kid has all three goals for the losing side.

Huge kid and he stands out for having surprising quick bursts. Showed some hands around the net. Might be playing his way into a late round flyer.

(Edit - just won player of the game for Kazakhstan)

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Btw it's worth watching a Canada game in this tournament just to marvel at how good Gavin McKenna is, I honestly do think he's better than Bedard at the same age. Vision and IQ are through the roof, manages to be so elusive and smooth at the same time. Button mentioned a Kucherov comparison mid game, I can see traits of a few of the very best.

It's crazy that his late bday won't even have him draft eligible next year. He's clearly the standout top guy for Canada despite being eligible for this event for next year. When prospects can do that for Canada/US/Sweden etc, the hit rate has to be quite high. Especially when none of it is early physical dominance, this kid is just super talented.

Last edited:

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Slovakia with the surprise, sort of. Feels like if Latvia would be there, we'd have the same chance (little, but still). We won Slovakia in the group phase... Oh well :laugh:

Semi's are always when it starts to get interesting

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Also note Matthew Schaefer's involvement on both goals. He was the first overall pick in the 2023 OHL draft and should be a top prospect for next year's draft, where he'll be one of the youngest eligible prospects with a September 5th bday.

Reactions: ohcomeonref

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad