World Junior no shows - updated

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I've updated the thread for 2023. I believe that this edition of the tournament has the fewest missing players due to the NHL since the lockout in 2013. There are a few murky situations like Edvinsson and Kasper, but I'm going to classify them as refusals and not players who were withheld based on what I've read. If I've missed any players from this year or any others let me know.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
This is an awesome list you maintain! So frsutrating to always look back and see that the Czechs rarely had a 1st round talent after 2005 but, when we did, they didn't play.lol Hemsky, Voracek, M. Michalek, Chytil, Zacha and for a nation with a limitied pool those injuries hurt!

Slovakia in summer was an atrocity! I felt so bad for them. Having said that.. not sure if Ondrej Molnar fits the criteria of a 'no show'. If he does please include a footnote:

Slovakia - Ondrej Molnar (floorball)

I also thought Slovakia was missing 3 guys.. and not sure if the 3 Swedish D qualify but they are missing some key ones!

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
fewest missing players
I think you're right. What's interesting is that this tourney does not have a 2005 type vibe at all. Most nations have their best rosters available (within reason) and this feels like a relatively tame tourney going in.

Reactions: Statsy

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
This is an awesome list you maintain! So frsutrating to always look back and see that the Czechs rarely had a 1st round talent after 2005 but, when we did, they didn't play.lol Hemsky, Voracek, M. Michalek, Chytil, Zacha and for a nation with a limitied pool those injuries hurt!

Slovakia in summer was an atrocity! I felt so bad for them. Having said that.. not sure if Ondrej Molnar fits the criteria of a 'no show'. If he does please include a footnote:

Slovakia - Ondrej Molnar (floorball)

I also thought Slovakia was missing 3 guys.. and not sure if the 3 Swedish D qualify but they are missing some key ones!

A good number of players missing is generally a positive sign for hockey in a country. Look at the Czechs in 1991 with Holik, Reichel, Nedved, and Jagr all missing. A harbinger of things to come when those guys and that generation was in its prime. I know that Sweden has some defencemen missing but other than Edvinsson's debatable case they aren't really suitable for this thread. A list of injured WJC players would be too difficult to pull off both in terms of research and also determining who would have made a WJC team had they been healthy.

I think you're right. What's interesting is that this tourney does not have a 2005 type vibe at all. Most nations have their best rosters available (within reason) and this feels like a relatively tame tourney going in.

It just seems like most rosters at the tournament are pretty underwhelming for whatever reason. The thing that would have built hype massively for this tournament is Russia being involved and a final chance to see Michkov vs. Bedard at this level.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
A good number of players missing is generally a positive sign for hockey in a country. Look at the Czechs in 1991 with Holik, Reichel, Nedved, and Jagr all missing. A harbinger of things to come when those guys and that generation was in its prime. I know that Sweden has some defencemen missing but other than Edvinsson's debatable case they aren't really suitable for this thread. A list of injured WJC players would be too difficult to pull off both in terms of research and also determining who would have made a WJC team had they been healthy.

It just seems like most rosters at the tournament are pretty underwhelming for whatever reason. The thing that would have built hype massively for this tournament is Russia being involved and a final chance to see Michkov vs. Bedard at this level.
That definitely would've been a marketing point from TSN! And I was excited for it. I see Michkov slipping in draft rankings but everytime I saw him play I couldn't help but think NHL Superstar for a decade or more.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
That definitely would've been a marketing point from TSN! And I was excited for it. I see Michkov slipping in draft rankings but everytime I saw him play I couldn't help but think NHL Superstar for a decade or more.
Is he slipping because of the war or his play?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Is he slipping because of the war or his play?
Lots of factors from what I can tell but I'm definitely not the expert on this

Playing in MHL and not KHL
Has been injured
Won't come to NHL for a few more years because of his contract (eg. you draft Bedard, he's in the lineup in October.. you draft Michkov and you don't see him for a few seasons but he probably shows up like Kaprizov did and takes over)
HF is more north american oriented and amateurs (like me) don't see him at all because he's not at the big tourneys (eg. I don't give a shit how he does against a Kazakh U20 team) which isn't his fault
The posters that know a lot about prospects get real cranky because the draft rankings should be free of all those factors (eg he should be 1 or 2 in his draft ranking based on his ability but in a mock draft he's probably 3 to 5 based on those factors)

Those are my guesses.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Lots of factors from what I can tell but I'm definitely not the expert on this

Playing in MHL and not KHL
Has been injured
Won't come to NHL for a few more years because of his contract (eg. you draft Bedard, he's in the lineup in October.. you draft Michkov and you don't see him for a few seasons but he probably shows up like Kaprizov did and takes over)
HF is more north american oriented and amateurs (like me) don't see him at all because he's not at the big tourneys (eg. I don't give a shit how he does against a Kazakh U20 team) which isn't his fault
The posters that know a lot about prospects get real cranky because the draft rankings should be free of all those factors (eg he should be 1 or 2 in his draft ranking based on his ability but in a mock draft he's probably 3 to 5 based on those factors)

Those are my guesses.
Fair enough and thanks!

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I have updated the thread to reflect those players missing in 2024 to the best of my knowledge. Reminder that injured players don't count in this exercise. As the NHL roster freeze has set in I don't expect any changes regarding players being released.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
What exactly is the reason for no Kemmel?
Nashville was a hard "no" on the subject, apparently.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Nashville was a hard "no" on the subject, apparently.

Hate it when this happens. In the NHL i get it. Kulich is doing better in AHL and is going. Poitras was in the NHL and is going.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I didn’t realize either of those players had been released, that’s great. Poitras is especially surprising.
I was very surprised... I think he's in for a big tourney and might really help Canada Gondor that third straight (I think) gold.

Reactions: Reddawg

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I was very surprised... I think he's in for a big tourney and might really help Canada Gondor that third straight (I think) gold.
1703120810990.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad