World Junior Championships (All WJC talk here)

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
Did you know there were rumors that the Nordiques offered players like Owen Nolan and Peter Forsberg to Ottawa so that they could pick Alex Daigle 1st overall?

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Did you know there were rumors that the Nordiques offered players like Owen Nolan and Peter Forsberg to Ottawa so that they could pick Alex Daigle 1st overall?

tumblr_m7zxfy8h0S1rzjlc4o1_400.gif

Martini*

Whatever you have includes Toews, Kane, Keith, Hossa, and Sharp.....really? You want to trade what ever we have to get him?
Well, Keith and Hossa are unmoveable on account of their contracts, so right there, a team picking that high in the draft isnt gonna try, and in Hossa's case, his age and injury concern pretty much leaves him a Hawk for the rest of his career...not that I mind.

Sharp? If thats what it takes for a future number one defenseman? Sure, see ya. I mean, this forum routinely talks about how great many Hawk prospects are even without actually watching them, I would say then the forward depth wouldnt miss Sharp and his strong two way play. But alas, he is signed long term and again, I highly doubt any team that reloading for the future would care to take on Sharps contract.

Toews? Nah, and I highly doubt any team would even ask for him.

Kane? Sure, so long as something else was coming back with Jones, catch ya later. Kane is great and all, but just by looking at Blowmans draft history, he seems to pick forwards who are a bit defensive minded, and the possiblity of TT actually coming over and replacing Kane, after what little I saw as of late, puts the Hawks in the drivers seat of replacing Kane with a decently talented, similar player, and also getting a future number one defenseman who makes the Hawks that much stronger, and getting a stop gap while waiting for TT? Why the hell not?

From the looks of things, the Hawks have decent replacements coming thru in the pipeline. Seth Jones's dont come around too much.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Well, Keith and Hossa are unmoveable on account of their contracts, so right there, a team picking that high in the draft isnt gonna try, and in Hossa's case, his age and injury concern pretty much leaves him a Hawk for the rest of his career...not that I mind.

Sharp? If thats what it takes for a future number one defenseman? Sure, see ya. I mean, this forum routinely talks about how great many Hawk prospects are even without actually watching them, I would say then the forward depth wouldnt miss Sharp and his strong two way play. But alas, he is signed long term and again, I highly doubt any team that reloading for the future would care to take on Sharps contract.

Kane? Sure, so long as something else was coming back with Jones, catch ya later. Kane is great and all, but just by looking at Blowmans draft history, he seems to pick forwards who are a bit defensive minded, and the possiblity of TT actually coming over and replacing Kane, after what little I saw as of late, puts the Hawks in the drivers seat of replacing Kane with a decently talented, similar player, and also getting a future number one defenseman who makes the Hawks that much stronger, and getting a stop gap while waiting for TT? Why the hell not?

From the looks of things, the Hawks have decent replacements coming thru in the pipeline. Seth Jones's dont come around too much.

I'd like to see us start moving in prospects and seeing how they do.

Kane/Toews - i wouldn't support moving.

Hossa - whether he could be moved or not, i wouldn't support it.

Sharp - i'd move if we had someone to replace him.

Keith - i wouldn't move (contract aside)...but we need to get a handle on our D in general. Who in our system can come in, stick, contribute???? <-- i don't mean as a replacement to keith - i just mean in general.

Nothingman*

Actually, Canada did dominate the tournament up to that point. They lost one game. Losing one game doesn't suddenly mean the US, Russia, Sweden or Finland are suddenly on the same level as Canada. Teams like the US, Sweden, Russia and Finland certainly have their share of talented players and any one of those teams, as has been proven over the last couple years, can beat Canada and any other team in a single-game elimination, but I ask this: Which country supplies the NHL with the most NHLers? Which country has the most top-50 scorers in the NHL last year? The year before? It's still Canada and then everyone else, one game doesn't change that fact.

No it doesn't. But there are more leagues than the NHL. And to hang your hat on past history is what will get a country left in the dust. I like the parity and not knowing who is going to win it year to year. It is more fun than the Olympics to me.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

We already have 2 Dmen that are better, and will probably always be better than Jones.

Martini*

We already have 2 Dmen that are better, and will probably always be better than Jones.
That remains to be seen. But, somebody who has been compared to Pronger, and is that well rounded at his age, not to mention size and his, god forbid, intangibles, I will roll the dice and take my chances if all it takes is Sharp or Kane in a package.

I mean, just read this forum, the Hawk prospects are just that darn good.

RomersWorld*

That remains to be seen. But, somebody who has been compared to Pronger, and is that well rounded at his age, not to mention size and his, god forbid, intangibles, I will roll the dice and take my chances if all it takes is Sharp or Kane in a package.

You might. No actual NHL GMs would. Nobody who really understands the game would.

But yeah, you might.

Any Colour You Like

Regular bean eater
Nov 13, 2011
Boston U

:help:

*sigh* There is no way that we would give up Sharp or Kane "in a package" for somebody that you completely incorrectly described IMHO.

Martini*

You might. No actual NHL GMs would. Nobody who really understands the game would.

But yeah, you might.
Its a GM's job to make his team better, last time I checked. Seth Jones makes this team better considering they dont have a problem scoring goals but a huge area of concern letting them in their own net.

:help:

*sigh* There is no way that we would give up Sharp or Kane "in a package" for somebody that you completely incorrectly described IMHO.

http://www.thescoutingreport.org/2013-nhl-draft-preliminary-top-30-1-15/

http://jrhockeyrecruit.com/2012/11/seth-jones-scouting-report-2/

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/e...ospects-big-board-seth-jones-is-no-1-prospect

Yes, because not only me, but everybody who has seen the kid play is wrong.:shakehead

Sir Psycho T

More Cowbell!
Oct 1, 2008
Redwood City, CA

If I am giving up Sharp or Kane + I'd better be getting more then a ? back. Yes I would package Kane or Sharp if I got a legit Top 4 Dman and maybe a goalie back. But for a ?, NO!

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Congrats to the US! That was a great game!

The bronze medal match was not so satisfying :facepalm:

after the Canadians lost, the Russians taunted the bench and our very own Philippe Danault sort of swung his stick at them

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Congrats to team USA. USA junior program has come a long way. Maybe the Hawks scouts will look at USA talent especially at d and goal a little differently.

Id love to see the Hawks make an offer to get Gibson. Highly unlikely Anaheim would trade but Id offer plural prospects plus for him. One of several USA players from the PA connection, Saad, Gibson, Trocheck.

Martini*

If I am giving up Sharp or Kane + I'd better be getting more then a ? back. Yes I would package Kane or Sharp if I got a legit Top 4 Dman and maybe a goalie back. But for a ?, NO!

Yes, because franchise defenseman like big, gold medal winning Seth Jones come around often and getting him his draft year shouldnt be that hard to do.:shakehead

It takes something to get something, and you get a franchise defenseman at any cost if you have the chance. He brings so much more in value then just on the ice, and thats something a team such as the Hawks have to and probably have considered.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Yes, because franchise defenseman like big, gold medal winning Seth Jones come around often and getting him his draft year shouldnt be that hard to do.:shakehead

It takes something to get something, and you get a franchise defenseman at any cost if you have the chance. He brings so much more in value then just on the ice, and thats something a team such as the Hawks have to and probably have considered.

You keep talking as if Jones is already that player. You don't move all star talents for prospects when your team is built to play for the Stanley cup.

Martini*

We have 2 franchise D men already. LET'S SELL THE SHIP SO WE CAN GET A 3RD GUYS!!!11
Last time I checked, the Hawks won a Cup with three excellent defenseman and havent come close to one since. Seth Jones makes the Hawks and actual contender just on depth alone with his skill set.

You keep talking as if Jones is already that player. You don't move all star talents for prospects when your team is built to play for the Stanley cup.
LOL Whut? This team isnt getting anywhere near a Cup until all those prized prospects get into the NHL, dont kid yourself. The Hawks, with their putrid defense after the first pairing, are mediocre and I am being generous by saying that.

A Cup contender? Really?:help:

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011

Who gives a **** if Jones won gold medal.. it's a team accomplishment, not an individual one. As to the bolded, you don't know what that "something" in Jones will be or how long it will take for him to become what ever he may be. Jones isn't guaranteed to become a franchise Dman, and you'd be insane to trade a proven NHLer, who scores 65-85 points, because a player has a "chance" to be great, nevermind packaging something else with that player. Last I checked, most of the people on this board want to fire Bowman because he hasn't done enough to improve the team now; so you trade Sharp/Kane, which makes your team significantly worse today, to take a chance on an 18-year-old kid turning out to be a stud? Lawl.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Last time I checked, the Hawks won a Cup with three excellent defenseman and havent come close to one since. Seth Jones makes the Hawks and actual contender just on depth alone with his skill set.

LOL Whut? This team isnt getting anywhere near a Cup until all those prized prospects get into the NHL, dont kid yourself. The Hawks, with their putrid defense after the first pairing, are mediocre and I am being generous by saying that.

A Cup contender? Really?:help:

This team's holes are the tertiary pieces. Filling those is much simpler than getting a roster together with the high end talent we have.

This team is much better then people give it credit for.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
Well, RNH ended up passing him, but TT finished as the 4th best scorer in the tournament.

Not bad considering he was one of the youngest players there.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs

No it doesn't. The kid is a PROSPECT. He hasn't even played hockey against men yet and you're acting like he's the second coming :laugh:

Martini*

Who gives a **** if Jones won gold medal.. it's a team accomplishment, not an individual one. As to the bolded, you don't know what that "something" in Jones will be or how long it will take for him to become what ever he may be. Jones isn't guaranteed to become a franchise Dman, and you'd be insane to trade a proven NHLer, who scores 65-85 points, because a player has a "chance" to be great, nevermind packaging something else with that player. Last I checked, most of the people on this board want to fire Bowman because he hasn't done enough to improve the team now; so you trade Sharp/Kane, which makes your team significantly worse today, to take a chance on an 18-year-old kid turning out to be a stud? Lawl.

This team isnt going anywhere until those prospects become NHL'ers. And considering Blowman seems to like the players he has either traded for or chose in the draft, you cannot pass on a franchise defenseman who will become the best defenseman on the Hawks faster then slower.

I get it. The glimmer of hope that this team, constructed as it is at the moment, might get some players who peak at a certain time and might make a dent in the playoffs, with thoughts of the Cup year still fresh in so many Hawk fans heads. But the thing is, that team had a surplus of depth of which has been proven to be probably the greatest group of talent the Hawks might have ever seen, with many of those players being huge difference makers for other teams since the purge. That, isnt here anymore, and wont be until these highly reguarded prospects in this forum are on the team. Many which make the Hawks so top heavy in forward prospects that there can be a trade to actually fix what is wrong with the Hawks, namely, the defense.

You are not gonna win a Cup with a pylon like Nick Leddy playing top four minutes, sad but true. You are not winning anything with the scrap heap defenseman Blowman has kicked the tires on hoping to catch lightning in a bottle. But, what you will do, is get a projected franchise defenseman, an american kid no less, who has been compared to Pronger taking the burden off of the Hawks top pairing which would in turn make Keith play better then he has since his Norris year by doing the one thing nobody on this defense can actually do...give him a rest here and there.

Again, the Hawks have no problem scoring goals, they have a problem letting them in their own net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad