Post-Game Talk: World Junior Championships 2020 in the Czech Republic: Canada Wins 2020 Gold

Who are your three podium teams?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don’t love the US team nearly as much this year as I usually do. I almost always have them on my podium prediction but didn’t this year.

The forward group is pretty top heavy, and the blue line looks weaker than normal to me.

They are really banking on their goal scoring wingers and their goaltending in this tournament. Which isn’t necessarily the worst plan given they have Caufield and Knight, but I just feel like they are lacking some depth this year.

I like Canada and Sweden best for this one. I think 3rd will be a battle between Finland, Russia, and the US teams.

USA will have elite goaltending in net. Russia and USA have a big advantage in net in my opinion.

We will see, but it has been a while since two caliber goalies like that have been at the world junior championships. Remember the kind of difference the big time nhl netminderd have made at this tournament traditionally too.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
USA will have elite goaltending in net. Russia and USA have a big advantage in net in my opinion.

We will see, but it has been a while since two caliber goalies like that have been at the world junior championships. Remember the kind of difference the big time nhl netminderd have made at this tournament traditionally too.

Knight is really good. I liked him a lot last year. I guess part of my stubbornness of not putting Askarov top 5 is I'm not sure he is that much better than Knight was last year.

So I agree with you on that.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
Will Russia even ride Askarov? He’s a double under ager and they almost never rely on those young players. I think it’s insane but it won’t shock me.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Will Russia even ride Askarov? He’s a double under ager and they almost never rely on those young players. I think it’s insane but it won’t shock me.

We will see, I think he enters as their backup but can steal the job. He will get to play games and get a crack. Given how crazy dominant he has been internationally, I am almost counting on him to wrestle the job away even that young. I like the other starter Russia has for this event as well. Just think it is an advantage regardless for those two teams. Finland should have a good option as well from the U18s a couple years ago.

Last edited:

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
We will see, I think he enters as their backup but can steal the job. He will get to play games and get a crack. Given how crazy dominant he has been internationally, I am almost counting on him to wrestle the job away even that young. I like the other starter Russia has for this event as well. Just think it is an advantage regardless for those two teams. Finland should have a good option as well from the U18s a couple years ago.
We'll see about Daws, and Hlavaj also draft eligible. Those guys came out of nowhere and are having great years. I don't know if Hlavaj is going to see action, but you'd love to see him put to that test.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Russia, Canada, USA, Finland or Sweden , there is not favorite team to win. Can you guess who win scoring title? I have no clue

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
I don’t know about you guys, but my favourite Christmas gift comes every year on the 26th! Can’t wait to watch our prospects play!!

Reactions: Go Wings

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I don’t love the US team nearly as much this year as I usually do. I almost always have them on my podium prediction but didn’t this year.

The forward group is pretty top heavy, and the blue line looks weaker than normal to me.

They are really banking on their goal scoring wingers and their goaltending in this tournament. Which isn’t necessarily the worst plan given they have Caufield and Knight, but I just feel like they are lacking some depth this year.

I like Canada and Sweden best for this one. I think 3rd will be a battle between Finland, Russia, and the US teams.

I'm with you on this one. I think they have enough talent to take it all but I don't like the dynamic of this team.

From what I watched this summer in Plymouth, the defense had some really good moments but did not inspire great confidence. The offense was far too reliant on Caufield's line. If Knight gets injured the goaltending drops off significantly. I don't see above a bronze unless the depth players really step up.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Veleno Assistant Captain

Apparently minimal NHL experience carries a lot of weight for Team Canada. Considering Veleno and Smith have both captained the team before, I was surprised to see Hayton get the captaincy.

Either way, I feel like Veleno being slotted as the first line center next to Lafreniere still speaks volumes of how Joe is viewed as a player in this age group.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Looking at the lineup for CZE/RUS and it appears the two 17 y/o D on the Czech squad are forming their second D pair. This should be interesting.

*Brews pot of coffee*

Zetterbeer

Aug 4, 2018
Ontario
Rough outing for Askarov so far, 4 goals on 13 shots. Dorofeyev looks good for Russia, still wish we had him in our system.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Watching more than one game is going to be important to this discussion.
I was already against a goalie at zero games...

Look, I'm not writing off Nico Daws here. Askarov gave up some powerplay goals, and a nice goal on a 2 on 1. There was only 1 goal that was questionable, but that was his chance to rise above all the excusable stuff and change my mind about taking a goalie in this top 5. I'm out. Take 2 goalies in the next 2 rounds, I don't care pick 3. Take Hlavaj and Malik. Take Daws and take Skotnikov, too. Just not a goalie in round 1. Celebrate 10 year anniversary of McCollum pick by not doing that again.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad