World-Famous 10th Semi-Annual Beacon Prospect Poll: #1 NYR Prospect

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
With all our prospects eliminated from the WJC, now is the time to get back to ranking our prospects. We will rank our top-25 kids and the 5 who will remain in the poll, but won't make the top-25 will become Honorable Mentions.

Please write who you want added to the poll, and give a reason for it. This makes the discussion here more lively.

THE RULES

WHO IS A PROSPECT: We can't all have different standards based on what we each want personally. We are on the HF board, so let's follow their rules. The standard for what's a prospect is here: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/whatmakesaprospect

* Please don't write that so-and-so should or should not be a prospect. It's not up to each individual here to decide, it's up to the HF rules. Therefore, since no NHL games were played, all the prospects from the summer are still eligible because no NHL games were played

HOW TO RANK PROSPECTS: Based on their value in a hypothetical trade or waiver draft. This takes into consideration a prospect's ceiling, how close he's to making it, his health, work ethic, the whole deal. Imagine there was a prospect waiver draft and you could keep only one prospect. That guy is our #1 prospect. Then imagine we had one more waiver protection. That guy is our #2 prospect.

CATEGORIES: We'll be ranking the top 20 prospects.

- The top 5 will be "Top Prospects"
- The second 5 will be "Second-Tier"
- The third 5 "Projects"
- The fourth 5 will be "Suspects"
- The fifth 5 will be "Long Shots"
- The remaining 5 prospects who made it into the poll, but were not voted into the top-25 will be listed as "Honorable Mentions," their order being determined by how many votes they got in the last round.

The first 6 options in the poll are the top 6 prospects from the winter who haven't graduated.

The previous rankings from the summer of 2013:

TOP PROSPECTS

1. LW Chris Kreider
2. C J.T. Miller
3. D Dylan McIlrath
4. C Oscar Lindberg
5. RW Jesper Fast

SECOND TIER

6. RW Danny Kristo
7. D Brady Skjei
8. C Cristoval Nieves
9. LW Marek Hrivik
10. C Michael St. Croix

PROJECTS

11. LW Andrew Yogan
12. LW Pavel Buchnevich
13. G Cam Talbot
14. D Sam Noreau
15. D Conor Allen

SUSPECTS

16. LW Anthony Duclair
17. D Calle Andersson
18. LW Adam Tambellini
19. C Steven Fogarty
20. RW Josh Nicholls

LONG SHOTS

21. RW Thomas Spelling
22. LW Ryan Bourque
23. D Ryan Graves
24. C Kyle Jean
25. G Jason Missiaen

HONORABLE MENTIONS

26. G Mackenzie Skapski
27. D Tommy Hughes
28. RW Michael Kantor
29. G Scott Stajcer
30. LW Jason Wilson

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Kreider is the obvious choice at #1, even more so than before.

Please do not leave dumb comments that YOU don't consider him a prospect. Nobody cares what YOU think the standard should be. Maybe I still think Brian Leetch should be a prospect, that doesn't mean anything. This is the HF and their standard applies. According to the HF standard, Kreider qualifies.

Add Skjei, a pretty obvious add given his play this season.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Talbot, Allen, Buchnevich, Duclair and Kantor should all go significantly higher.

St. Croix, Noreau, Fogarty, Nicholls and Missiaen will likely fall. Nieves and Hrivik will fall a little too.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
This one is easy, Kreider for sure.

I don't think Skjei is a clear cut. Buchnevich made his WJC team and had as good a tournament thus far.

They've both performed in their roles admirably, but I guess Buchnevich is going to be boom or bust, whereas Skjei is a safe pick.

Add Skjei.

Edit: Oh, and Conor Allen is in the NHL currently, maybe he should get a bigger consideration than Skjei, even if they have different ceilings.

Edit 2: Also, Talbot.

Hmph.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Kreider. Miller is the easy #2, and I honestly think he might be a better player than Kreider (love both of em).

Add Skjei or Buch, either one will do.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I am assuming Kreider will get himself to 50 votes pretty quickly without any significant number of votes going to anyone else. If and when that happens, we'll move on to the next round. Considering how many times in a row he's been our top prospect by a wide margin, we don't need to wait the usual 24 hours to rank him. This is more of a formality than anything else so that people don't say that I just placed Kreider at #1 for no reason other than my opinion.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Kreider Add Talbot. As of right now with the way he is playing, I don't see how he won't be the undisputed #2 prospect. But I am sure blind love for Miller will have him at #2.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
That wasn't directly in reference to you. Just these boards in general. Though you didn't offer any argument as to why it is incorrect. What has Miller accomplished to where he deserves to be over Talbot other than his draft position?

I just love the kid as a prospect having seen him play in the AHL. He made that league his ***** in the short time he was down there, to be frank. And he had a very solid stretch for a 19 year old last season.

I think he's a future high end 2C. 55-60 pt guy that can play a two way game and physical.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I just love the kid as a prospect having seen him play in the AHL. He made that league his ***** in the short time he was down there, to be frank. And he had a very solid stretch for a 19 year old last season.

I think he's a future high end 2C. 55-60 pt guy that can play a two way game and physical.

This is where you lose me. He had 4 points in 22 games. I agree that Miller will be a contributor for us. Maybe sooner, maybe later but at some point the kid will be a solid player on this team. I just think that based on what has been done this season, I can't justify saying Miller is a better prospect. If not for Talbot we would have as many points as the Islanders.

I definitely think Miller is 3 or 4 but based off of NHL production, it is Talbot for me all the way in the #2 spot.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
This is where you lose me. He had 4 points in 22 games. I agree that Miller will be a contributor for us. Maybe sooner, maybe later. I just think that based on what has been done this season, I can't justify saying Miller is a better prospect. If not for Talbot we would have as many points as the Islanders.

I definitely think Miller is 3 or 4 but based off of NHL production, its Talbot for me all the way in the #2 spot.

I'm talking in the AHL. And he was 19 with next to no pro experience, I don't know what you expect from a mid round pick at that stage in his development. He didn't put up a ton of points at the NHL level but he made plays.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
That wasn't directly in reference to you. Just these boards in general. Though you didn't offer any argument as to why it is incorrect. What has Miller accomplished to where he deserves to be over Talbot other than his draft position?

What has Talbot done? Half-a-season. He's been good, but undrafted and much older than J.T. He's going to probably be a serviceable back-up in his career. Miller has a much higher impact upside and is already playing an okay game at the NHL level despite inexperience.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
What has Talbot done? Half-a-season. He's been good, but undrafted and much older than J.T. He's going to probably be a serviceable back-up in his career. Miller has a much higher impact upside and is already playing an okay game at the NHL level despite inexperience.

Fair enough. Id like to see a bit more production out of Miller though than 3 points in 23 games this year and 4 points in 26 games last year. That is the only thing that concerns me.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Voted Miller because Kreider is not a prospect. After this season he'll be well over 100 pro games.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007

I'm kind of hoping he'll be our Schneider. Sure Vancouver couldn't use both Luongo and Schneider, but they got a top-10 pick for for Schneider. Would be great if we got something like that for Talbot in a season or two.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Voted Miller because Kreider is not a prospect. After this season he'll be well over 100 pro games.

Jesus...

One, he is a prospect according to HF rules. Two, after this season, we'll have another poll in the summer. The number of games played is based on what he's done as of today. To say that he'll have more games than allowed in the future means nothing. In 10 years, Lindberg will have a few hundred games under his belt, but right now he's still a prospect.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
After this season, neither will Miller

btw people, Talbot isn't either

We discussed it over the summer and the HF rules allow for an exception for a player who theoretically should be too old to be a prospect, but if he is still viewed as a prospect by the team, he can count as one.

Clearly Talbot isn't a washed up minor leaguer who's too old to hope to make the NHL. I'm looking at him in the Rangers jersey on my TV as I am typing this. We'll graduate him when he plays too many games or if he suddenly collapses and proves he's not NHL caliber.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad