GDT: World Cup of Hockey [Flames Edition]

Ynnek

Oct 24, 2011
New Brunswick
Team NA knocked out and with it my interest in the tournament. Absolute shame that we didn't get to see Canada vs NA. Would likely have been phenomenal hockey.

Oh well. Time for Treliving to get to work on Gaudreau.

Same here I no longer have interest in watching as Canada will win easily.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I was actually happy to see NA go out; I think they derserve to play on...
But getting Johnny signed and in camp >>>>>>>> meaningless tournament.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Sweden tied with 4.30 remaining with a deflected Karlsson shot. OT next, tune in if you can.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I was expecting and hoping for a 3-on-3 OT. By NHL rules its of course normal 20 min OT.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Well, looking at replay from goalcam that surely looked a lot like kicking motion. Really surprised they reviewed it that quickly.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I mean, it's not like I'm super into this tournament, but I don't see a reason to be butt hurt about it, I enjoy the high level of hockey.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I enjoy the Team Europe underdog story. Especially after how badly Johnny and Friends owned them to start the tourney, they've managed to beat Czech, Swedenx2, USA. I believe it was Sportsnet that was predicting they would be lucky to win a single game and yet here they are.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I mean, it's not like I'm super into this tournament, but I don't see a reason to be butt hurt about it, I enjoy the high level of hockey.

Because of the general feeling that the NHL wants this to replace the actual best-on-best, all-countries-eligible tournament that is the Olympics.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Because of the general feeling that the NHL wants this to replace the actual best-on-best, all-countries-eligible tournament that is the Olympics.

If that's the case, it definitely needs work, but, I'm still not angry at it, it makes total business sense as to why the NHL would want their own tournament.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
If that's the case, it definitely needs work, but, I'm still not angry at it, it makes total business sense as to why the NHL would want their own tournament.

Business sense for the NHL isn't what fans want, though. They want best-on-best international hockey every 4 years. I think the World Cup would've been much better regarded if they'd just done that, with a proper qualifying process for all of the smaller European nations.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Business sense for the NHL isn't what fans want, though. They want best-on-best international hockey every 4 years. I think the World Cup would've been much better regarded if they'd just done that, with a proper qualifying process for all of the smaller European nations.

And if/when that happens, there will be time to criticize it, I just don't see the point right now. Can't expect them to whip up an Olympics level tournament in their first go.

Plus the NHL has been talking about pulling out of the Olympics for ages now. I'd prefer this tournament to nothing.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I would say this closer resembles best on best than the Olympics. Nothing "best" about the Koreans losing in double digits every game in the next Olympics

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
The final was tonight? :laugh: or possible final anyways...

World Cup of Hockey: no1Curr edition.

Now! Time to get this season rolling!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad