GDT: World Cup of Hockey Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
Like everyone on this board, I don't get why Tortorella is coaching this team. Seriously, why? What are his qualifications? It's unbelievable how much mileage one Stanley Cup win can buy you in this old boys club. I can't wait to see his old school meathead approach fail miserably in Columbus too and see him driven out of the league. What was Jarmo thinking, too :shakehead

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
Did anyone predict USA to be out in 2 games in the group stage? Jesus.

I don't know, I think a lot of people were low on team USA.

We've seemingly struggled in international competition for a while, now.

Poorly built teams, zero structure, and not even close to the level of skill to be able to make up for it.

It looks like the players just don't care. They're just plain sloppy. If the coaches tried to implement a system, they did an awful job of getting the players to buy in.

US hockey needs to pretty much blackball all the skaters on this team. Last Olympics they were bad. Olympics before they weren't really that good (Miller was outstanding and got them a Silver). Now this stinker of a tourney.

I'd rather have Yoe coaching this team than Tortz. They really can't score any less than they already have, but would be better defensively.

On the bright side the Wild will have all their players in camp (besides Nino).

I agree with this 100%. This crop of 25+ US-born players have looked uninspired for way too long.

Parise, Suter, Oshie, Kane, Pacioretty, EJ, Buff, they all look incredibly ineffective. And the bulk of them looked ineffective back in the Olympics, too.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Just another illustration of how far back we still are, as much as we hate to admit it. Wheeler, Pacioretty, Stepan, Carlson, etc... all look like great players until it's best on best, but it's just not enough. There's a lot riding on Gaudreau, Eichel, Matthews, Jones and Hanifin; to bad that we won't see 3 of those guys until 2024.

Back to back bad showings by the Pavelski, Kesler, Parise, Backes, Suter; if they do go to the 2018 Olympics, I wouldn't be too disappointed (but I would be surprised) if most are left at home.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Wild leadership group:

Koivu - done.
Parise - done.
Suter - done.

Yaay for 2016-2017: the Wild will character their way to the Cup.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Wild leadership group:

Koivu - done.
Parise - done.
Suter - done.

Nope BB will coach us too the Cup. We just have to win every series in 5 games. :sarcasm:

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Just another illustration of how far back we still are, as much as we hate to admit it. Wheeler, Pacioretty, Stepan, Carlson, etc... all look like great players until it's best on best, but it's just not enough. There's a lot riding on Gaudreau, Eichel, Matthews, Jones and Hanifin; to bad that we won't see 3 of those guys until 2024.

Back to back bad showings by the Pavelski, Kesler, Parise, Backes, Suter; if they do go to the 2018 Olympics, I wouldn't be too disappointed (but I would be surprised) if most are left at home.

They also should have not left Okposo, Tyler Johnson, Kessel, Faulk,Shattenkirk etc. at home.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Hold on with the harsh judgement of Team USA. Canada is insanely talented. Bergeron is their #4C, for god sakes. And on top of that, for all Quick is an excellent goalie, Price is even better.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Hold on with the harsh judgement of Team USA. Canada is insanely talented. Bergeron is their #4C, for god sakes. And on top of that, for all Quick is an excellent goalie, Price is even better.

It's also the Europe game and the 2014 bronze medal game. No doubt that Canada is the better team, but after back to back eggs, it's time to move on from the 2003 draft class IMO.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013

I have not liked the us roster since the day it was constructed. These results are kind of predictable.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
What a ****ing joke.

Fire everyone at USA hockey and get people in there who have modern perspectives.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Oh well, not to worry folks - we got Suter and Parise locked down ... for another NINE years.

I was happy that day thay announced the deals; devil in the details, shortsightedness, Minnesota inferiority complex, all to blame.

The insanity of pro sports.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
That was so terribly depressing. You'd never think Patrick Kane won the Hart and the scoring title last year if you only watched him in this tournament. Not to only pick on him, as every one of those players looked like they couldn't care less about this tournament.

What a ****ing joke.

Fire everyone at USA hockey and get people in there who have modern perspectives.

Dean Lombardi put the roster together and I'm assuming he also made the decision to make Torts head coach. I'd say he's most deserving of being the first one to the proverbial guillotine after this international embarrassment.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Easy for Kessel to troll when....even if he had been picked...he'd have been replaced due to injury.
Good luck getting picked in the future after being an *******.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Wild leadership group:

Koivu - done.
Parise - done.
Suter - done.

That's the scary part. We had ZERO leadership last year, and at the moment, it looks like nothing is going to change. I remember a lot of people begging for Parise to get the "C", but in terms of leadership, hell no. There were too many shenanigans from Parise and Suter last year in terms of Oates and the PP. And then when we desperately needed someone to step up and take charge during that downward spiral, all 3 kept quiet in their little corners. The only leadership change is going to be the coach. Hopefully he can smack the veterans around and dissolve that silly divide in the lockerroom. I would like to live long enough to see one season where this team comes together and works hard as a TEAM for one season from start to effing finish! One more nosedive mid-season, and I'll go loco.

As for the World Cup....#$@! it. Pointless anyway.

Last edited:

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
Easy for Kessel to troll when....even if he had been picked...he'd have been replaced due to injury.
Good luck getting picked in the future after being an *******.

Easy for him to troll when it's a post to twitter, Lou's been doing it for years and he's got quite a following.

And I sincerely doubt he gives a damn about upsetting the fools that put this team together. They don't deserve another shot, so who cares if they don't like him. And frankly, who cares about not being a part of team USA if this is a roster that USA hockey is happy with? It was clear as day that most of these guys didn't work in the last olympics, it's not like they've gotten any younger.

I'm embarrassed that this is the "best" they could do. Second worst team in the tournament.

gobbluth

Jan 31, 2015
Has granlund always been such a quick skater? Haven't watched him for a long time, thought he was "slow"...

Make

Apr 15, 2004
Finland
Has granlund always been such a quick skater? Haven't watched him for a long time, thought he was "slow"...

He's definitely looked fast out there imo. Maybe another step in development? Though his problem has been concistency and stamina in a 80-game season. He can have great couple of games (see playoffs) but he hasn't been able to sustain a high level of play for an entire season.

He was really good against Sweden though.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Nobody on US is looking good (except Quick). US turned into the Oilers of the last few years defensively.

Disagree, because...

They also should have not left Okposo, Tyler Johnson, Kessel, Faulk,Shattenkirk etc. at home.

This ^

Team USA management/coaching didn't ice the best team possible. They "built a team to beat Canada" which should have come with a huge asterisk and subtext that said "IMO, LOLZ". We left off some excellent players.

I'm not saying we could have beaten Canada's team because, well, it's Canada - But we're definitely not bad, especially when it comes to defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad