GDT: World cup of hockey 2016 thread (Part 2 - The Finale)

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
What's the issue that it's becoming? Please explain and use examples

-He's the highest paid goalie in the league at a whopping 8.5 million
-He's no longer deserving of it as there's three or four indisputably better goalies at this point
-He's here at that price until 2021 and won't be getting any better - such is the aging process
-The Rangers have no cap space

How do we not see the issue?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
-He's no longer deserving of it as there's three or four indisputably better goalies at this point
-He's here at that price until 2021 and won't be getting any better - such is the aging process

Lol who?

And please expand on your answers.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
So basically you think they're clearly better because you say so?

Congrats dude, You've outdone your self.

They have better numbers over a massive sample size.

Is Kane better than Zuccarello because I said so? No, it's because he scores more over a massive sample size.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Is Kane better than Zuccarello because I said so? No, it's because he scores more over a massive sample size.

Massive? Please.

PS. Henrik Faces more HD scoring chances than any of those guys, especially Holtby who IIRC was near the top of the league in fewest faced.

If you don't want to factor that in, thats your prerogative, but if thats the case the you shouldn't be surprised when people here have a really tough time taking you seriously.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He's 7th in save percentage since 2012.

Factoring in his HDSC against, that's very good. It's not the best. There's goalies who have done more with less.

AGMongoose

Sep 30, 2007

The bolded is not exactly true. It depends on what numbers you are looking at. I prefer to look at SV% on 5v5. If you look, Lundqvist has better numbers than either Holtby or Schneider. Only Price and Rask have better numbers than Lundqvist over the last several years. And there are question marks regarding both - Price's injury and Rask's bad last season.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
If you think Lundqvist is better than Price, Holtby, and Schneider in 2016-17 I don't know what to tell you. Better career, easily. Not now.

He's better than Holtby, who benefits from a very strong team in front of him. Price I'll give you though he needs to stay healthy and show his Vezina season wasn't a fluke (not that I think he'll drop down to being bad or something, he's a great goalie). Schneider is also close, currently.

That's also 3 goalies and not 4-5

Lundqvist's play hasn't dropped yet, I don't know why we need to act like he's currently an issue. I do agree you have to worry how things will work out when his play finally does take a definitive dive and what the cap space will be like, but at that point I'm also far more worried about finding a good replacement. Cap space and an average goalie doesn't do a ton to help this team.

It's fine to worry about how the Rangers will manage their cap space but realistically the choices they have made in other areas are far more detrimental to the team now and in the future than the money invested in Lundqvist.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If you think Lundqvist is better than Price, Holtby, and Schneider in 2016-17 I don't know what to tell you. Better career, easily. Not now.

Wasn't aware I was taking a math test.

Price was out hurt all last year. He's had injury issues ever since Kreider crashed into him. Saying he's better or more valuable than Hank?---I don't think so.

Last couple times Henrik and Holtby have faced each other in the playoffs--Henrik won the battle. IMO the Caps have a better D as well. Holtby's a great goaltender and it's arguable he's at Henrik's level (or close) but better? Nope.

Schneider has he ever played in a playoff game? Maybe--I can't remember it. He is a great goalie but his team's have accomplished squat. I'd let Devils fans push that ****--until he actually gets his team over a hurdle or two maybe we can reopen that debate then.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Price was out hurt all last year. He's had injury issues ever since Kreider crashed into him. Saying he's better or more valuable than Hank?---I don't think so.

Last couple times Henrik and Holtby have faced each other in the playoffs--Henrik won the battle. IMO the Caps have a better D as well. Holtby's a great goaltender and it's arguable he's at Henrik's level (or close) but better? Nope.

Schneider has he ever played in a playoff game? Maybe--I can't remember it. He is a great goalie but his team's have accomplished squat. I'd let Devils fans push that ****--until he actually gets his team over a hurdle or two maybe we can reopen that debate then.

So we use the crappy team in front of Hank as an excuse for Hank, (fairly, I think) but it Schneider's fault that he has an actual turd playing in front of him instead of a hockey franchise? Not exactly fair.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Schneider is great, I think it's fine to argue about who's currently better, him of Lundqvist. Most teams in the NHL, including the Devils, had better D than the Rangers last year though.

Ultimately though...if you want to keep one of these great goaltenders you have to give them a lot of money. Price is going to get an obscene contract in 2 years. Holtby as well. You either pay them or they walk and your team is worse for at least awhile.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don't wanna take away from the World Cup so I will conclude there, but I'm happy to field grievances in the Lundqvist thread.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I don't wanna take away from the World Cup so I will conclude there, but I'm happy to field grievances in the Lundqvist thread.
I mean it's now a best of three against Canada, I don't think it matters anymore. :laugh:

Unless Canada drops the first game, then it could be interesting.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Europe could make some noise here. They're got underrated talent and seem to be rallying around the whole misfits vs the world thing.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Europe could make some noise here. They're got underrated talent and seem to be rallying around the whole misfits vs the world thing.
raw

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
C'mon now, if Boston University and friends can beat the Soviets, Europe can beat Canada.
In a series? Nah. Maybe if Halak goes batty. Real talk: they're screwed. :laugh:

But, not going to pretend like I wouldn't thoroughly enjoy Team Canada losing.

Last edited:

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

Lmfao at 3-4 goalies INDISPUTABLY better than Lundqvist.

You're usually not prone to hyperbole though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad