Confirmed with Link: World Cup of Hockey 2016 Sept- Oct in Toronto

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Why is that sad? I love best on best tournaments

That's why it's sad, because it's not.
It's the NHL allstars (and friends) preseason exhibition tournament.

Other than Karlsson, did any other Ottawa players get named to one of the teams?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Interesting that out of the nine forwards 8 of them have played centre, not sure if Benn has too.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
The sad thing is, by the time this comes around I'll probably be hockey-starved enough to actually take an interest in it.
Why is that sad? I love best on best tournaments
What’s really sad about all this, is the “WCoH" is the old "Canada Cup” & “Summit Series" which were legendary. :fight:

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009

Other than Karlsson, did any other Ottawa players get named to one of the teams?

I dont get this frame of mind, why judge or be negative about something before its even happened?

The World Cup in '96 was fantastic, '04 was good but not great...I have no reason not to think that the entertainment will be full value.

What exactly are you expecting?

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I dont get this frame of mind, why judge or be negative about something before its even happened?

The World Cup in '96 was fantastic, '04 was good but not great...I have no reason not to think that the entertainment will be full value.

What exactly are you expecting?

I wanted an actual best on best international tournament. Basically the hockey equivalent of the world cup for soccer.

Instead we get a marketing gimmick from the NHL because they want the money and don't want to have to share with the IIHF or IOC (not the IOC does share). Also, ads on jerseys.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Believe he is Canada's current highest scoring RW, that said these tourneys seem to favour previous play rather than current thus i assume he has no chance

If you considered of the 9 forwards named, 8 of them are centers, so that suggest Armstrong &Co. put more value on flexibility as did Yzerman.

There are still a few opening and if the team needs a pure RW Stone will be in the discussion along with Perry.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario

Why isn't it your opinion?

FYI none of the teams are complete yet.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Why isn't it your opinion?

FYI none of the teams are complete yet.

I'm aware, they named 16 players of a 23(?) man roster.
Lightning and Hawks had 10 players a piece named to teams, I'd heard Karlsson's name but wasn't sure if we had anyone else named.

I don't think any non-NHL players have been named? And on top of that we have two gimmick teams in the NA Youngstars and Team Europe. So that's why it's not a best on best.
It's basically another variant of an all-star game with expanded rosters (hence 'and friends'). Except this one is done in the preseason.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
I'm aware, they named 16 players of a 23(?) man roster.
Lightning and Hawks had 10 players a piece named to teams, I'd heard Karlsson's name but wasn't sure if we had anyone else named.

I don't think any non-NHL players have been named? And on top of that we have two gimmick teams in the NA Youngstars and Team Europe. So that's why it's not a best on best.
It's basically another variant of an all-star game with expanded rosters (hence 'and friends'). Except this one is done in the preseason.

Well the major hockey nations are and the European team will likely be stronger than any of the nations (Slovakia, Germany, etc) would have been on their own.

The NA young stars is gimmicky, but this is a commercial event and people will pay to see McDavid and Eichel.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
I wanted an actual best on best international tournament. Basically the hockey equivalent of the world cup for soccer.

Instead we get a marketing gimmick from the NHL because they want the money and don't want to have to share with the IIHF or IOC (not the IOC does share). Also, ads on jerseys.

Its not a marketing gimmick, its a tournament where most of each countries best players will play against each other.

Who cares if money is shared or not...watch the hockey and enjoy yourself. Dont get wrapped up in things you cannot control.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Its not a marketing gimmick, its a tournament where most of each countries best players will play against each other.

Who cares if money is shared or not...watch the hockey and enjoy yourself. Dont get wrapped up in things you cannot control.

It's a tournament where the NHL teams are re-scrambled across international lines, mostly. But at a time when they're just coming back from the off-season, so not even in game shape yet.

And it's done as a direct result of them not being able to get a share in Olympic money and using it as a way to try to play hardball with the IOC.

I'll reserve the right to have my mind changed by the hockey played on the ice, but on paper it's just an extended format all-star game. I mean, I don't see what the Youngstars or Team Europe have to play for, really - they didn't get selected for a national team (in some cases because their nation wasn't deemed competitive enough), and they'll have to be teammates with international rivals.

I mean think of a soccer tournament where Mexico, Canada and USA (or heck the entire CONCACAF federation), while you had a second team in the tournament made up of the young superstars across Europe. Then the rest of the teams were top national teams.

Do you think that would really go over well and be considered a legit serious tournament?

Last edited:

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Surprised China hasn’t started shipping jersey’s yet! :laugh:

http://www.aliexpress.com/af/team-c...03152352&SearchText=team+canada+hockey+jersey

Man, are those jerseys ever ghetto. The "Canada" logo is way too small, for one, and the fonts on the numbers are slightly off as they always are on those jerseys. Maybe there is such a thing as a quality knockoff, but I've never seen one. The knockoffs I see people wearing at the CTC just make you cringe...

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I don't think any non-NHL players have been named?

The Czech team has definitely named non-NHL players, for which the NA media immediately started ******** on them, but that's par for the course these days

littleD

Isn’t anybody disappointed that SUBBAN wasn’t named to the Team yet???? :sarcasm:

It's 2016. PK Subban should be ahead of Shea Weber on any right handed shot d-man depth chart.

I just think it's hilarious not to have him in the first 16 named. All they are doing by naming players this far in advance of the tournament is to build hype. I mean, why would you want to name a dynamic, marketable player from a Canadian market when you're trying to build hype?

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
It's 2016. PK Subban should be ahead of Shea Weber on any right handed shot d-man depth chart.

I just think it's hilarious not to have him in the first 16 named. All they are doing by naming players this far in advance of the tournament is to build hype. I mean, why would you want to name a dynamic, marketable player from a Canadian market when you're trying to build hype?
Why would you pick someone who is a "Defensive risk" or "Dynamic" as you call it?

I would take Method before Subban for Defensive play! It's about winning, not how flashy you look.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

I take Shea Weber over Subban 100 out of 100 times.

That's not a slight against Subban. I just like Weber more.

Also: what's with the "it's 2016" remark? Weber is less than 4 years older than Subban, it's not like one is some grizzled veteran over the young pup. Weber is 30 years old. In his prime. Maybe by 2020, you can start bringing up the year as a relevant part of this argument. Right now, it doesn't hold water.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
Not a chance that I am paying big money to see guys go half speed in a tune up game, but I'll definitely watch the games that matter on TV. Having said that, the whole Team North America and Team Europe concepts are a complete fail. Connor McDavid would a top six forward for Canada guaranteed - why in the world are you shunting him off to some B team that has been composed simply to fill TV time and sell tickets to a few more games? Only the NHL could take something as awesome as a best-on-best hockey tournament and find a way to screw it up...

So none.

I'd watch a thousand WHC tourneys over this, nay, 10,000.

littleD

I take Shea Weber over Subban 100 out of 100 times.

That's not a slight against Subban. I just like Weber more.

Also: what's with the "it's 2016" remark? Weber is less than 4 years older than Subban, it's not like one is some grizzled veteran over the young pup. Weber is 30 years old. In his prime. Maybe by 2020, you can start bringing up the year as a relevant part of this argument. Right now, it doesn't hold water.

It has nothing to do with age.

It's 2016. 2016 PK Subban is better than 2016 Shea Weber.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00