GWT: World Cup - Group C (Poland and Argentina Advance)

Who Advances?

• Argentina

Votes: 63 94.0%
  • Poland

Votes: 32 47.8%
  • Mexico

Votes: 30 44.8%
  • Saudi Arabia

Votes: 2 3.0%

• Total voters

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Group C contains a fair amount of intrigue and should be a fun one. Saudi Arabia is likely looking at last place, but is hoping that being close to home lets them score an upset or two. Meanwhile, Poland has one of the most prolific strikers in the game today, but the team has been underwhelming of late. Mexico brings an experienced team to Qatar, but one that struggled in qualifiers and CONCACAF tournaments. The story of the group, however, is Argentina, which combines a young wave of talent with experienced vets, including perhaps the greatest soccer player of all time, Lionel Messi, who has indicated this will be his last World Cup. Messi has never won the World Cup and is looking to add that prestigious trophy to his prolific cabinet.

Key Players: Lionel Messi (Argentina), Emiliano Martinez (Argentina), Robert Lewandowski (Poland), Piotr Zielinski (Poland), Raul Jimenez (Mexico), Andres Guardado (Mexico), Salem Al-Dawsari (Saudi Arabia), Yasser Al-Shahrani (Saudi Arabia)

HomeAwayTime and Date (CST)Venue
ArgentinaSaudi ArabiaTue., Nov. 22, 4:00 AMLusail Stadium
MexicoPolandTue., Nov. 22, 10:00 AMStadium 974
PolandSaudi ArabiaSat., Nov. 26, 7:00 AMEducation City Stadium
ArgentinaMexicoSat., Nov. 26, 1:00 PMLusail Stadium
Saudi ArabiaMexicoWed., Nov. 30, 1:00 PMLusail Stadium
PolandArgentinaWed., Nov. 30, 1:00 PMStadium 974

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Probably the most important player after Messi, Romero might be out for the World Cup. Don’t see them winning without him. Ffs

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Heart says Polska and Argentina. Brain says Mexico and Argentina. That Poland-Mexico match seems to be the big one, but I think it will be a draw and come down to goal difference in the matches with Argentina and Saudi Arabia.

Reactions: gary69

member 305909

Mexico have in the last seven world cups been knocked out in the round of 16. That's too good a tradition to break.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Nico injured... dropped and Angel called up. Another starter from the copa gone. Acuna, Tags and Romero still carrying knocks. This isnt good.

Hopefully Alvarez starts on the left.

Reactions: les Habs

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
and Joaquin is out LMAO. THis is cursed.

Potential replacements are Simeone eww, Almada and Garnacho. I think its fairly obvious who it should be.

Tomorrow maybe Acuna, Tagliafico and Cuti. They'll be tests to judge if they cant go. Cuti seems like the safest by reports but this doesnt look good at all

Last edited:

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Is the Messi injury anything serious? It was reported that it's some sort of muscle injury and he trained seperately from rest of the team and without the ball.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
1. Argentina
2. Poland
3. Mexico
4. Saudi Arabia

Mexico was either going to hit disarray before or after the World Cup. I think Tata is making it worse. I think he’s speeding it up and it’s going to result in them failing to advance from the group.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Poland v Mexico is interesting to me. Those are imo the two biggest underachievers in modern football (factoring in population size, popularity of sport, and established club structure/infrastructure in both countries and socioeconomic levels). Japan is maybe the only other one I could say and that'd probably be unfair to Japan.

I'll give Poland the upper edge but that's probably from my bias with familiarity with European leagues.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Not liking our rhythm so far although we are up. Gotta be more composed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad