GWT: World Cup - Group A (Netherlands and Senegal Advance)

Who Advances?

• Qatar

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Netherlands

Votes: 66 97.1%
  • Senegal

Votes: 36 52.9%
  • Ecuador

Votes: 29 42.6%

• Total voters

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Four days from the opening kick off. Netherlands are the prohibitive favorite in this group, although their attack and goalkeeping is perhaps lacking. Qatar hopes to continue a tradition of strong showings by host nations, despite being in the first World Cup. Senegal was a potential dark horse in this World Cup, with Sadio Mane and Kalidou Koulibaly leading the team; however, Mane was forced to pull out of the tournament with an injury he suffered while playing for Bayern Munich in the lead up to the World Cup. Ecuador, meanwhile, has a lot of young talent despite being captained by Enner Valencia.

Key Players: Moises Caicedo (Ecuador), Enner Valencia (Ecuador), Virgil van Dijk (Netherlands), Frenkie De Jong (Netherlands), Almoez Ali (Qatar), Hassan Al-Haydos (Qatar), Idrissa Gueye (Senegal), Kalidou Koulibaly (Senegal)

HomeAwayTime and Date (CST)Venue
QatarEcuadorSun., Nov. 20, 10:00 AMAl Bayt Stadium
SenegalNetherlandsMon., Nov. 20, 10:00 AMAl Thumama Stadium
QatarSenegalFri., Nov. 25, 7:00 AMAl Thumama Stadium
NetherlandsEcuadorFri., Nov. 25, 10:00 AMKhalifa International Stadium
NetherlandsQatarTue., Nov. 29, 9:00 AMAl Bayt Stadium
EcuadorSenegalTue., Nov. 29, 9:00 AMKhalifa International Stadium

Last edited:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I have this group as:

1. Netherlands
2. Ecuador
3. Senegal
4. Qatar.

Too many Brighton players on Ecuador to not give them second place. Plus Mane is likely injured for the first couple of games and that will be a major problem for Senegal's attacking system.

Reactions: cgf and Gecklund

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I have this group as:

1. Netherlands
2. Ecuador
3. Senegal
4. Qatar.

Too many Brighton players on Ecuador to not give them second place. Plus Mane is likely injured for the first couple of games and that will be a major problem for Senegal's attacking system.
I have the same but you can even swap 1/2 and it’s just as probably imo.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Qatar will probably get some ref help, although I hope it's quite not at level to what South Korea got in their home tournament in 2002. I'd bet Qatar gets at least one penalty in the opening match, and Ecuador should be very careful with their tackles.

Any candidates for this year's Byron Moreno? (Ironically he is from Ecuador).

Interesting to see who the match ref will be, i don't it will be from Europe (if the odds are the final ref will be European), nor female. Could be one from South Africa, since Qatar has naturalized players with that background. But I'd guess it will from Asia and as a secondary choice from Africa. We will find out tomorrow (Thursday).

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I've got Netherlands and Senegal.

The only lock I see is Netherlands. I could see any of the other 3 teams grabbing second. It's likely a tossup between Senegal and Ecuador, but I wouldn't count out Qatar. Home advantage and host nations tend to advance from the Group Stage. If they win that first match against Ecuador, then all bets are off.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Surprised that Orsato was selected as the ref for the opening match. It certainly should clear most doubts of any corruption in favour of Qatar, but unfortunately it almost certainly robs him a chance of being the WC final ref.

Probably favours Ecuador's chances of winning the match.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
1. Netherlands
2. Senegal
3. Ecuador
4. Qatar

Points will be hard fought in this group, but I’m not predicting any surprises.

member 305909

If Qatar really wins today's match there will be people saying that they really bought off their opponents even though it's total nonsense.

Having said that there are some matches in the world cup history which people said were fixed.

Argentina-Peru in 1978 and Brazil-Norway in 1998.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
I think some people sleeping on Ecuador.
I actually got them as a dark horse candidate to make it all the way to the quarterfinals given that group B ain’t all that either. They could easily finish first or second in this group and knock out whoever they face from group B.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I think some people sleeping on Ecuador.
I actually got them as a dark horse candidate to make it all the way to the quarterfinals given that group B ain’t all that either. They could easily finish first or second in this group and knock out whoever they face from group B.
The issue is they cannot score. What is it, 6 games now without a goal. They can be tough to break down and grind out results though which will help in the group stage.

Reactions: Panteras

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The issue is they cannot score. What is it, 6 games now without a goal. They can be tough to break down and grind out results though which will help in the group stage.

Yeah, that's been my big hang up about putting much on them...but the swiss have shown that being unable to score isn't always a problem if you can defend well enough. And it's easier to bring together a well-organized defense than a fluid-attack with the limited time NTs have to gel.

Reactions: robertmac43

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad