World Cup: World Cup 2030 spread across 6 countries on 3 continents?

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I wouldn't want to be one of the teams that has to travel to South America for one game, but otherwise I like it.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
This is too much. Imagine going to SA and then having to cross the ocean to continue your WC journey.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
dumbest shit the tournament should’ve been held in SA. But I’m more worried about the expansion rather than where it’s played. As no matter where it is, the atmosphere is always great and I enjoy the games regardless.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
They keep imagining up these crazy ideas, though that’s the reality on these expanded tournaments, fewer nations can or want to host these events. If you want to do multiple countries that’s fine but leave it in SA

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Portugal-Spain-Morocco is a fantastic bid culturally and the countries are right next to each other.

It's only 3 opening games in SA by the way. The bulk of the tournament will be split between Portugal, Spain and Morocco. I'm so happy.

Last edited:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I remember when the Euros were in Seville and it was too hot for the players to even run around and play the game so I can only imagine what it's going to be like 7 years from now. Besides that it sounds good.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I remember when the Euros were in Seville and it was too hot for the players to even run around and play the game so I can only imagine what it's going to be like 7 years from now. Besides that it sounds good.
Oh like anyone cares about the players

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
TBF it's only the 3 opening matches. The bulk of the tournament is played between the 3 host countries.
If you're based in Europe it's still two ~12 hour flights and 5 hour jet lag. Of course you can go to SA earlier but it's still something to consider. Like I said I wouldn't want to be one of those teams that has to do all that while other teams can purely focus on training. Of course they might choose only countries from the Americas for those games.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
It makes more sense once you realize that the South American countries determined they couldn't financially support a bid even though it's the 100th anniversary of the first WC. It's still a little bonkers, but a few commemorative matches isn't an enormous problem. If I'm in CONMEBOL tho, I'm a little pissed about Paraguay getting auto-qual on the back of hosting one match.

Morocco-Spain-Portugal should be tremendous, as long as precautions are undertaken to ensure players don't literally die on the pitch. No one should be outside in Andalusia in the summer, let alone playing football.

Reactions: luiginb and Evilo

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Morocco-Spain-Portugal should be tremendous, as long as precautions are undertaken to ensure players don't literally die on the pitch. No one should be outside in Andalusia in the summer, let alone playing football.

I'm gonna suggest that this 2030 WC will be the last time they do one in a hot region where so many of the stadiums are outside. I remember when I was a kid we were able to run around with football pads in the middle of July, if you do that now you'll probably kill someone. My part of LA is basically the desert but it wasn't always like this. Fortunately we have a roofed stadium for a few years from now, but that stadium does not have air conditioning so game times will probably be in the evening.

The weather for this will become a major concern as we get closer, so they should probably adjust accordingly by using different game times like for example 11 PM.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I'm gonna suggest that this 2030 WC will be the last time they do one in a hot region where so many of the stadiums are outside. I remember when I was a kid we were able to run around with football pads in the middle of July, if you do that now you'll probably kill someone. My part of LA is basically the desert but it wasn't always like this. Fortunately we have a roofed stadium for a few years from now, but that stadium does not have air conditioning so game times will probably be in the evening.

The weather for this will become a major concern as we get closer, so they should probably adjust accordingly by using different game times like for example 11 PM.
Weren't there significant heat problems with some of the matches at WC 1994? And not just in your desert part of Los Angeles :laugh:

Reactions: luiginb

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Weren't there significant heat problems with some of the matches at WC 1994? And not just in your desert part of Los Angeles :laugh:
Yeah, but knock on wood it sounds like there will be a lot more indoor stadiums here this time around. You would think though that an outdoor stadium in Miami in June would be a major mistake.

Heat in LA from June-September imo anyway has risen significantly. I think by the time 2034 comes around we are going to have to reckon with our mistakes and obviously I don't just mean sports. I'm not sure it will be realistic to do these things outdoors in June in the places we might be used to doing them in.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I don't mind having the World Cup over a continent like having groups throughout South America such as Ecuador, Chile, Argentina, Brasil, Uruguay, etc., but I agree with the other posts where putting different groups across an eight to ten-hour different time zone is just nonsense at this point.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
All about greenbacks. Lining their own pockets. Footballers as with most sportspeople, actors have zero integrity and morals and are some of the biggest hypocrites around.

If associations were run by moral people they'd threaten to boycott or set up a rival organization but they won't. 2030 should be Arg-Uru. Now we have 3 token games so that CONMEBOL, CAF and UEFA are out of the 2034 cycle which inevitably will go to Saudi that lovely country,

Not one thought for supporters as usual. Not one thought about the environment, FIFA is going green. Utter BS. And what of the six sides having to fly to and from Iberia ? Infantino is just as bad if not worse than Blatter and company. Revolting individual.

Reactions: Ceremony

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
All about greenbacks. Lining their own pockets. Footballers as with most sportspeople, actors have zero integrity and morals and are some of the biggest hypocrites around.

If associations were run by moral people they'd threaten to boycott or set up a rival organization but they won't. 2030 should be Arg-Uru. Now we have 3 token games so that CONMEBOL, CAF and UEFA are out of the 2034 cycle which inevitably will go to Saudi that lovely country,

Not one thought for supporters as usual. Not one thought about the environment, FIFA is going green. Utter BS. And what of the six sides having to fly to and from Iberia ? Infantino is just as bad if not worse than Blatter and company. Revolting individual.

f*** off with the idea that the 100th should be in Argentina-Uruguay. How many WC have the Americas had? They just had Brazil in 2014. Africa has had one.

Also, 3 of the teams playing in SA will be the 3 hosts. So there's only three sides who'll be doing a to-and-from.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
f*** off with the idea that the 100th should be in Argentina-Uruguay. How many WC have the Americas had? They just had Brazil in 2014. Africa has had one.

Also, 3 of the teams playing in SA will be the 3 hosts. So there's only three sides who'll be doing a to-and-from.

It's the centenary thank you very much. It should be there for historical reasons. CONMEBOL has contributed an awful amount to football including the greatest players and tactical innovations.

Six sides will have to to and fro thanks to conehead. It's time for any associations namely those in Europe and South America if they have not been bought to say enough is enough and boycott or form a separate organization. That's doubtful unfortunately especially in CONMEBOL with it's own particulay history of corruption.

And as for 2030 in Iberia and NW Africa at that time of year who knows what the temperatures will be like ? Spain was as recent as 82. 2034 will be another winter WC too.

Conehead is just if not worse than Blatter and his minions and the creepy heads of associations. It was fun in a way watching Beckham trying to defend his role in promoting Qatar. Not that £125M had anything to do with it. Shameless wretch.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
It's the centenary thank you very much. It should be there for historical reasons. CONMEBOL has contributed an awful amount to football including the greatest players and tactical innovations.

Couldn't careless. Portugal and Morocco have both submitted multiple bids in years past. It's about time they got one. They have the footballing culture and the infrastructure to do it. If they SA wanted a WC for the 100th then don't have it in Brazil in 2014.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
TBF it's only the 3 opening matches. The bulk of the tournament is played between the 3 host countries.
Which makes it feel even more pointless to me. That is a ton of travel for 2 games, I would far prefer my country play in one spot for the entire group stage. Travelling across time zones in short succession can be hard.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Which makes it feel even more pointless to me. That is a ton of travel for 2 games, I would far prefer my country play in one spot for the entire group stage. Travelling across time zones in short succession can be hard.

I don't disagree. Should just play all of it in the three host countries and acknowledge the 100 years in the ceremony.

Reactions: robertmac43

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

Lol and Africa just has 2010… plus if you count MENA as one entity you include Qatar. But who really cares?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad