GDT: World Cup 2014, Brazil

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

Kicks off later today!

This year's field is incredibly hard to handicap. Spain is not really in great form, Brazil has a lot of question marks, Argentina is deep up front and has an emerging midfield and back line, England is an underdog, etc. I don't think there is really a favourite this time around. Depends on who gets hot at the right time.

Who do you think will take it all?

Last edited:

Starbuds

You like muscles?
Mar 28, 2010
I'm cheering for Brazil simply because the Brazilian people deserve at least that after the corrupt mess this whole thing has been for them.

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada
wesley-sneijder1.jpg

fans5action_1671723i.jpg

Tom Brady

Legend of all Legends!
Feb 13, 2010
So much pressure on Brazil, hopefully they pull it off.

1st game is today at 2pm, Brazil vs Croatia.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Will definitely be cheering for Brazil. Would be amazing to see them win at home.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Since my Swedes got robbed in qualifying...and Canada will never make it in my lifetime, I think I'll cheer for Argentina and Spain, only because England crashes and burns :(

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
1st round of games....predictions...

Brazil 3 - Croatia 2
Mexico 1 - Cameroon 1
Spain 1 - The Netherlands 2
Chile 1 - Australia 1
Colombia 2 - Greece 0
Uruguay 2 - Costa Rica 1
England 1 - Italy 2
Ivory Coast 2 - Japan 1
Switzerland 0 - Ecuador 0
France 3 - Honduras 0
Argentina 3 - Bosnia Herzegovina 1
Germany 2 - Portugal 1
Iran 2 - Nigeria 2
Ghana 2 - USA 3
Belgium 0 - Algeria 1
Russia 3 - South Korea 2

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Though I'm pulling for them, I don't think it's fair the Italy gets to use a Vampire on their squad, and a daywalker taboot.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Hey Cloned...re: OP. Isn't England like, ALWAYS the underdog at these World Cups?

This is the one soccer exhibition I actually watch (I know soccer fans, the Euro's are way better), pretty much everytime they come around.

Seems to me certain teams are favorites, like Germany, France for a time, Brazil, Argentina, Spain, Portugal, and Italy.

Is Scotland in this one this year? I think i've only seen them once or twice over the years.

Anyway, I have to go for the Azzurri since my inlaws are Italian.

Viva Azzurri.

RebuildTheRebuild

Apr 27, 2013
Not sure what to really expect from this England squad this time around. Its going to be tough group to get out of though thats for sure. I am hoping to see the younger players getting some time on the pitch.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
Not sure what to really expect from this England squad this time around. Its going to be tough group to get out of though thats for sure. I am hoping to see the younger players getting some time on the pitch.

It depends if Woy keeps making some questionable choices. One is starting Welbeck over Sterling. Another is forcing everything through Rooney. I think they go through from the group stages truth be told. Over Uruguay imo.

I think Spain takes this and becomes one of the best teams ever with this current generation. Croatia will surprise (their midfield is great). France makes a deep run (they are due imo).

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
Well, it wouldn't be World Cup soccer if Croatia wasn't without one of their top players. Kranjcar will miss the tournament because of injury before it even starts. They still have some excellent midfielders (Rakitic and Modric mainly), but he is a big loss for sure, especially since their game relies so heavily on the play of their midfield.

Mandzukic's suspension will be a big loss against Brazil today, but at least he'll only miss the one game.

I think we have a strong team this year, but Brazil is a tough matchup in any year. Not an ideal first match.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad