World Championships were offered to American TV for FREE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
tom_servo said:
As usual, I fault the idiots in front of the TV, not behind it.
Right!!! Maybe if hockey fans would watch the games then these stations will change their tunes. ESPN has to get some fault too. If they want hockey to grow in the US then they have to at least put the games on.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Largely, marketing. The NFL, NBA and especially NASCAR have destroyed the NHL in marketing in recent years. They also keep close, ironclad control over the quality of the product.

Yes, it's a factor when kids grow up playing some sports like football, baseball and basketball, where they do not play hockey. Yet there are other areas in which the NHL has dropped the ball... a year-long hiatus being only the latest.

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
ice berg slim said:
still boggles the mind how nascar is bigger in the states than hockey. :shakehead
Yes, lets watch a bunch of cars turn left 400 times :shakehead

It boggles my mind too, especially since not only is it bigger than Hockey but also Baseball and Basketball :eek:

And I dont even know a single person who has ever gone to one of these things.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Include me in the bemused category, as I nether watch nor attend, but they market themselves very well. They channel into a segment of the population's inner redneck, not just in the south but in the west, midwest and now in rural pockets of the NE as well. They market themselves to a rural base, as opposed to virtually all the other big sports that focus on the cities. They encourage sprawl at their events, encourage massive tailgating in fairgrounds environments and their events turn into roaming weekend-long parties. The sport itself seems to cultivate a great deal of parity in terms of equipment and when stars do emerge, the sport's management markets those stars to the hilt. Very solid marketing and leadership. NHL? Not so much.

Fans of hockey like to disparage the NASCAR fan base, but we should look long and hard at what the NASCAR leadership has done to turn a fringe sport into a sports powerhouse in a very short period of time.

Mat

Fish on The Sand said:
how can you be livid, nobody in the US cares about the nhl, and nobody in canada cares about the world championships until this year, so what makes you think Americans will ever care about some 3rd rate tournament when baseball season is on and the NBA playoffs are on? Factor that in with the fact that most of the games are early morning or afternoon means nobody will watch anyways.

+1

ive never cared about the WC's until this year too, and i'm a hockey fan! why should i expect US networks to suddenly do the same?

Mat

Steveorama said:
ESPN Thursday night line up

7:00 Australian Rules Lawn Bowling
8:00 This Week in Jai Alai
8:30 Amish Rake Fights
9:00 Celebrity Poker II: This Time It's War
9:30 Lacrosse Cheerleaders in Des Moines Special

How can hockey compete with that?
:shakehead

:biglaugh: poker is the biggest joke ever

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I've been to 2 Nascar races, and I'll have to say that while it might look stupid on TV (and some of it does) it does no justice for going to the event itself. The noise, adrenaline, and excitement of being at a race is definitely something you have to go to in order to understand fully.

While it might just 'look like cars going around in a circle for 3 hours', that is just like saying hockey's just some idiots trying to hit a puck around with a stick.

Nascar is the most popular sport in the US behind the NFL and does considerably well even when up against football in ratings. Something hockey could barely hope to do. Not only that, NASCAR is expanding pretty rapidly. It used to be just a redneck sport, for lack of a better term, but if you go to a race now, there are lots of suburban and urban viewers of all races. NASCAR's also expanding to Mexico, and from there who knows.

Hockey could learn a lot from Nascar as far as marketing goes, for one thing, the drivers themselves probably have a lot of similarities to some hockey players, yet the major sponsors Nascar brings in helps market those people to everyone.

You can call it a hillbilly sport as much as you want, but like it or not, that hillbilly sport outclassed hockey pretty fast.

And don't get me wrong, I think Nascar's ok. I like going when my dad's got tickets, and every once in a while I'll watch a race, but I'd rather go to a hockey game in a second. But Nascar has done it's homework where the NHL hasn't even started.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Speaking of NASCAR, discussing hockey coverage in the US on these boards is somewhat like one of their races - stuff goes around in circles, and a lot of people (many of whom have no clue what's going on) just enjoy making fun of it.

Drake1588 said:
Fans of hockey like to disparage the NASCAR fan base, but we should look long and hard at what the NASCAR leadership has done to turn a fringe sport into a sports powerhouse in a very short period of time.
I'm with you 100% on that one. Doesn't interest me personally, but overall their marketing has worked on large segments of the population from a variety of backgrounds. I would guess its growth is unprecedented in the sports world, and like you and Chimaera said, some of the NHL brass would do well to sit down with some NASCAR marketing people and pick their brains. Not sure if the NHL would want to be looking for people's "inner redneck" though (that was a damn funny line, btw :D).

As for poker on TV, I'd think it should be blatantly obvious why this is popular (gambling aspect and the "I could do that too" aspect, just like with gameshows), but I guess it just goes over some people's heads and they'd rather just make fun of it.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Drake1588 said:
By playing.

No NHL hockey means tepid interest turns to zero interest in the US and poker increasingly shows ESPN brass that it is altogether more profitable. Rinse and repeat for bowling, fishing, and all manner of alternative XGames sports.

It's becoming almost passe to express the thought, but the lockout is killing hockey as a national sport in the US. It's going to be lucky to come back strong regionally and it might not recover nationally. Hope the powers that be on both sides think it was worth it when all is said and done. They can probably kiss ESPN goodbye, permanently. They may have to beg Fox Sports to stay on board. I'll be watching Center Ice regardless, but for growing the game, a national contract is absolutely critical.
the only thing that could make it worse is for the nhl to have a scandel, ie crosby not going to one of the three worst teams!

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Chimaera said:
You can call it a hillbilly sport as much as you want, but like it or not, that hillbilly sport outclassed hockey pretty fast.

And don't get me wrong, I think Nascar's ok. I like going when my dad's got tickets, and every once in a while I'll watch a race, but I'd rather go to a hockey game in a second. But Nascar has done it's homework where the NHL hasn't even started.

Excellent point. I sometimes cringe when people call another sport "redneck" or "hillbilly." To be honest, all sports fans in general are "hillybilly" in some sense, compared to general society.

PredsFan77*

Hockey Sucks...I'm just here for the free beer. bbl the NBA playoffs are on.

FlyersFan10*

Fish on The Sand said:
how can you be livid, nobody in the US cares about the nhl, and nobody in canada cares about the world championships until this year, so what makes you think Americans will ever care about some 3rd rate tournament when baseball season is on and the NBA playoffs are on? Factor that in with the fact that most of the games are early morning or afternoon means nobody will watch anyways.

And that's something that I'll never understand about most Americans. They enjoy watching race cars go around an oval lap at almost 200 miles an hour, they enjoy watching NFL football where it is basically a running game, and they enjoy baseball - a sport based on failure. However, the moment that hockey comes up and they have to pay attention to the game, they lose interest. I'll never understand why....

Roger's Pancreas*

Bashing the other sports.

FlyersFan10 said:
And that's something that I'll never understand about most Americans. They enjoy watching race cars go around an oval lap at almost 200 miles an hour, they enjoy watching NFL football where it is basically a running game, and they enjoy baseball - a sport based on failure. However, the moment that hockey comes up and they have to pay attention to the game, they lose interest. I'll never understand why....

Football-there's a commercial break after turnovers, extended periods of non-interupted plays, every fifteen minute quarter, after a coach's challenge, and after any one of six timeouts. If you love having the flow of the game constantly interrupted then football is your sport.
Nascar-you get to sit in an arena surrounded by white trash, inhaling dangerous gas fumes, watching left hand turns and for what? THE CHANCE of seeing a pile up. For those of us up north, they're a regular once the snow starts coming down. Personally I'd rather camp outside the I-990.
Baseball-in what other country could someone make a hundred grand a game for chewing gum and scratching your boys. One of these days though you'll be out there going for a reach when you realize your pills are gone, that's OKAY it just means you've been slipping one too many steroids.

Old Hickory

Lets get this back on topic or it will get moved to the Other Sports forum

Roger's Pancreas*

kingsjohn said:
Lets get this back on topic or it will get moved to the Other Sports forum
Sorry John but you have to be frustrated. There's a select few of us that love this sport and are being screwed every which way because the majority rule.

NYR2

Feb 19, 2004
New York
Fish on The Sand said:

How can you say that? How do you know no one cares, or no one would watch? You don't. So that comment is ridiculous. This is what the media tells everyone, I'm so sick of it.

And why anyone in their right mind gives a crap about the NBA is beyond me. I will never understand it. :shakehead

Dan Galvin said:
Wow, I really didn't need to hear that. :madfire:

Seriously. I did not need another reason to want to kill someone over not seeing these games.

CREW99AW said:
ESPN is claiming scheduling conflicts as an explanation for why it wussed out.

Gosh, can't cut into their fly fishing, or reruns of the 2004 world series of poker.

ice berg slim said:
still boggles the mind how nascar is bigger in the states than hockey. :shakehead
Yes, lets watch a bunch of cars turn left 400 times :shakehead

:joker:

PredsFan77*

wassup77 said:
No they don't. All companies care about their customers whine. They really do!

and they tell them to go have some cheese with it.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
FlyersFan10 said:
You just don't get it do you. You don't understand the other sports you just put down. If you did you would know baseball is not based on failure, and football is more than just running and racing is more than driving in circles. I could easily say hockey is just skating in circles but you would call me in an idiot. The irony is that my statement is every bit as correct as yours. If you must know why hockey isn't popular in the US it is because sports is, and always has been, cultural. People grew up with baseball and football, while nobody has ever given a rats ass about hockey. Baseball has been around, and popular, since before Canada was even a country. You can't compete with something like that.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
For all some people love to bash poker, the fact remains that poker's top stars display way more charisma and personability than almost all hockey players, and many pro athletes in many other sports as well. I bet most people can tell you a whole lot more about Danny Negranu and Gus Hansen than they can about Jarome Iginla.

nikki9

Mar 19, 2005
Epsilon said:
For all some people love to bash poker, the fact remains that poker's top stars display way more charisma and personability than almost all hockey players, and many pro athletes in many other sports as well. I bet most people can tell you a whole lot more about Danny Negranu and Gus Hansen than they can about Jarome Iginla.

I don't think so, I have no clue who Dany Negranu and Gus Hansen are. I'd rather meet Jarome than them any day.

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
Epsilon said:
Sorry to burst your bubble dude...POKER IS NOT A SPORT! I hope you're joking...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad