Wondering about Hainsey?

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Then what is he suited for?
It sure isnt for being an offensive dynamo

You make a good point, usually those 3rd/4th toughest minutes are handled by guys with more offensive acumen than Hainsey.

However, I think Hainsey still could find a niche role on a team with a really solid first pairing that plays all the tough minutes (ie. Minnesota with Brodin and Suter) and not much else. In other words, he could really help solidify a team that doesn't have much of a second pairing.

Just my take. I understand the gripes about Hainsey's lack of physicality, brain cramps in front of the net, etc. However, I also found myself consistently praising him for a solid first pass out of the zone and good understanding of how to cut off passing lanes. He also seems to communicate really well with his defensive partners, at least from what I've seen.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
He's pretty consistently in top 120 for points per 5v5 TOI (86 this season) and 55th in active LHD pts/gp...

Which is impressive given that 1) he isn't "considered" offensively gifted anymore 2) the tough minutes he takes 3) he's hasn't scored a goal in two seasons with 100+ shots on goal

I bet under the right conditions (ie: not being leaned on like Weber or Suter and given some PP time back) he'd have quite the bump in offense.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
He's pretty consistently in top 120 for points per 5v5 TOI (86 this season) and 55th in active LHD pts/gp...

Which is impressive given that 1) he isn't "considered" offensively gifted anymore 2) the tough minutes he takes 3) he's hasn't scored a goal in two seasons with 100+ shots on goal

I bet under the right conditions (ie: not being leaned on like Weber or Suter and given some PP time back) he'd have quite the bump in offense.

I'm pretty much middle of the road on Hainsey, if anything I'd side with I like him and he is worth keeping at the right price, but no matter where he ends up he is not going to get PP time. His shot doesn't cut it and he doesn't dish the puck well enough.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
I must say Hainsey is a special D-man, he was the bread and butter that really held together one of the worst defenses in the league, he was the glue that that really kept it all steady and you knew what you were getting night in and night out. You could really say he gave it his all and when the going got tough and the tough got going, fans could really see it while doing his duty. They really broke the mold when they made him and he should go down in history as one of this franchise's defense-men.

This post is for you!
hainsyerhnicdone.png

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Hainsey had the highest Corsi Rel. Competition and the 2nd highest QoC on the Jets defense last year.

I would suggest that many of the deficiencies described in this thread are the result of him being played way over his head.

You mean by him even playing in the NHL! Guy has no clue what to do with the puck in his own zone, usually coughs it up by throwing it to the boards with no other Jet in sight, plays a little man's game, would sooner have a second year guy like Redmond take his spot who plays a smart simple game and isn't afraid to hit.

Hainsey's three faults are: overrated, overpaid and over-the-hill!

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I think you're in mid-season form.

I think this could be a break out year for you. I pity the poor soul that becomes your personal whipping boy.

With Burmi gone, Antro, Hainsey and Wellwood hopefully gone looks like Blues and I are stuck with just mini-Lidstrom to let's say critique. :naughty:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Is Wheeler officially off the wagon?

I remember he was whipped for a long ass time.

Have no fear......new whipping boys will appear or be manufactured if necessary.........they fill a need ;):laugh::sarcasm:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
With Burmi gone, Antro, Hainsey and Wellwood hopefully gone looks like Blues and I are stuck with just mini-Lidstrom to let's say critique. :naughty:

What are you going to have to complain about if Toby gets injured Sip? ;)

videofarmer

thirsty
Sep 11, 2009
ATL
He's going to sign with the 'Canes. :yo:

(No, I can't back that up; don't ask)

I hope so. Now that the SE division is going away and Winnipeg is jetting to the west, I can cheer for the Canes without guilt (always liked them even when the Thrashers were here). Love the Carolina forwards and goalie, but have been less than enamored with the d-corp, oh since about the time Commodore left. Looks like there will be some guys to route for on the blue-line this year, especially if Hainsey signs with you guys. I'm going to try to make it to Raleigh for some games this year! I know I'll catch a Checkers game or two in Charlotte.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

Byfuglien should be playing RW or ideally, LW, not on defense.

He's a very talented pylon. Players can chip it past him, dodge to the outside and unless the defensive partner was cheating by staying near centre ice, it's a breakaway.

Happens too often.

Guy is the epitome of power forward.

Lynk

Registered Bro
Apr 18, 2006
Ontario, Canada

He's a very talented pylon. Players can chip it past him, dodge to the outside and unless the defensive partner was cheating by staying near centre ice, it's a breakaway.

Happens too often.

Not at the money he's being paid.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

Happens too often.

Lawl...

He's had better contributions overall as a defensemen than a forward... if you like results.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind

Happens too often.

He is a better d man then forward
If you don't see that, I can't help you

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011
I don't think this year was his best. Last year I saw better IMO.

I agree with Lynk on this. I even commented that the year before this year that I liked Hainsey's game - seemed calm and polished.

This year I thought that he started well, but as the year wore on and he was expected to take more minutes, I thought that he seemed like he was trying to do too much. I thought his game slowed down in his end, and I think that he dragged Bogo with him. There was a lot of time spent down on the ice, floundering around...looked to me that Bogo for whatever reason was trying to emulate Hainsey. That said, there was no lack of effort.

I know that there is a stats story that says he played tough match-ups, played tons of minutes, blocked lots of shots, etc. etc. I just felt that he was not an effective player as the year wore on, and we spent too much time in our own zone. Many commented that Hainsey could fetch a 1st rounder - I never, ever believed that. I felt Ron was a top pairing D-man because that is all we had at the time.

Despite his best efforts, I thought he should have been moved both for the sake of the Jets and to give Hainsey a shot at the playoffs. I firmly believe that our chance of making it down the stretch would not have impacted negatively if we had to plug in Clitsome and Kulda on those extra minutes (remember guys we didn't make it).

Like it or not, he was a well paid leader on a team that has not made the playoffs in a long time - and I think him moving on is better for both parties - this is part of a culture change. I am sure lots of guys will tell me I am wrong, but that is how I see it...cheers boys :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad