27DStefanie Wetli 76DYekaterina Nikolayeva
31GAndrea Brändli 88FYekaterina Smolina
41GFlorence Schelling 92GNadezhda Morozova
88FPhoebe Stänz 94FYevgenia Dyupina
97FAnna Shokhina
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
I see the Korea women 's team has one game left on the 18th. Who are they playing & what network is the game on in the U.S.? Sorry for being in the wrong thread but I don't see a thread for this.

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
How is Russia in the quarterfinals when they didn't win a single game & only scored ONE goal the entire tournament??

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
How is Russia in the quarterfinals when they didn't win a single game & only scored ONE goal the entire tournament??
The structure is pretty bizarre in women's tournament.

The top-4 teams are in 1 group (CAN, USA, FIN, RUS) and the rest are in the other group (SWE, SUI, KOR, JPN). Reason being that there won't be similar games that was in Vancouver 2010 when Canada beat Slovakia 18-0 and all kinds of other blowouts by these teams.

top-2 teams of the first group advance to semi-finals, bottom-2 advance to quarter-finals facing the top-2 teams of the second group. So all top-4 teams will advance automatically.

DEVILS130

Aug 14, 2008
PA
I went to bed at 2-2. Can't believe this outcome...Switzerland is a much better team

RossiyaSport

Aug 18, 2017
www.instagram.com
Yet another tournament where the RU girls go further than Sochi.

Like I have been saying all along theres a lot of good talent on the RU team The only 'older' core player is really Sosina who isn't 26 yet. Theres a lot of good talents developing in the junior team and pee wee.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Based on what ?

Exactly. Switzerland got to pad their stats against Korea and the Swiss honestly looked worse than Japan. Sweden has regressed or not progressed at all and got smoked by Finland, the weakest team in group A.

Meanwhile Russia got smoked by everyone in group A but anyone in group B would've had it worse.

Idky but oddly happy the Russian women won, I'll be cheering for them in the bronze medal game assuming CAN/USA win.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006

Firstly, it's the Olympics format where no teams are eliminated in the group stage. Secondly, it's because Russia had to play the top three teams in the world in pool A. Pool B was incredibly weak, that's why Switzerland and Sweden got destroyed in the quarters.

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
Firstly, it's the Olympics format where no teams are eliminated in the group stage. Secondly, it's because Russia had to play the top three teams in the world in pool A. Pool B was incredibly weak, that's why Switzerland and Sweden got destroyed in the quarters.

Yeah, that's it but I didn't know ALL teams move on to the playoff, single elimination round.

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
And it has been like this since 1990. Women's hockey tournaments are just about the US-Canada games. Boring.

True but they need the other teams to have a tournament. Do you suggest ONLY the U.S. & Canada show up & go straight to the Gold medal game?? :laugh:

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
Do you suggest ONLY the U.S. & Canada show up & go straight to the Gold medal game?? :laugh:

Of course I wouldn't suggest something like this. And I certainly wouldn't blame Canada and US for being so darn better then the rest. It's not their fault. And I am not sure who to blame exactly for this disparity (between US/Canada and the rest of the world) But it's not good for the sport's popularity growth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad