GDT: Women's | Preliminary Round | Group A | USA vs Canada| 10:10 PM

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Canada has won 22 straight Olympic women's games.

It's starting to feel like the Undertaker at WrestleMania.

Reactions: PTmbp13

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
That game was 10x more exciting than any kings game in 2018. Fun game to watch, intense for a preliminary game. Looking forward to seeing them in the gold medal again.

Reactions: donghabs98

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
Canada looked terrible out there. Lost count of the give-aways. These two teams looked like they were in different leagues.

Exactly.. it was kind of surprising.

Interested to see if they put Szabados the USA killer in for the gold or go back to Lacasse after she stole one from a way better USA team.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
The Canadian goalie basically was first, second, and third star. Kinda like Jake Allen vs. the Wild last spring.

Unless she pulls a Tommy Salo '02, highly unlikely Canada's streak of golds and wins in the Olympics ends.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The Canadian goalie basically was first, second, and third star. Kinda like Jake Allen vs. the Wild last spring.

Unless she pulls a Tommy Salo '02, highly unlikely Canada's streak of golds and wins in the Olympics ends.

Are you trying to jinx Canada?

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Very entertaining game, hopefully we see them both in the gold medal game but with suspect USA goaltending who knows if they even make it there. A little surprised at how USA dominated most of the play.

A loss isn't as harsh when I get to see Tessa Bonhomme between periods. :laugh:

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Always good to see (on the ticker not actually watching the game) that scumbag US Womens hockey team lose. It is pretty amazing that the players change but the team still remains so despicable.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Honestly, and I say this as a good ol' Canadian boy...I can't see Canada beating the US again. Not with the way they're playing.

Laura Schuler has a coaching record of 47 - 132 - 11. That's absolutely brutal. Couldn't we find a better coach? She has 6 years of coaching experience, but has only coached 1 year since 2008 (7-21 with Dartmouth college).

I don't know what she's telling this team to do but it looks like pond hockey compared to the US team. US team has great breakouts, structured attack, super aggressive forecheck, and puck pursuit. Awareness of where fellow players are on the ice. Canada has a great goaltender but that can only get you so far. It was almost unwatchable after the first period. I felt like even though we had two teams that should be physically relatively evenly matched, one is being coached to play some weak-ass intro-level hockey while the other is being coached to play pro.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Honestly, and I say this as a good ol' Canadian boy...I can't see Canada beating the US again. Not with the way they're playing.

Laura Schuler has a coaching record of 47 - 132 - 11. That's absolutely brutal. Couldn't we find a better coach? She has 6 years of coaching experience, but has only coached 1 year since 2008 (7-21 with Dartmouth college).

I don't know what she's telling this team to do but it looks like pond hockey compared to the US team. US team has great breakouts, structured attack, super aggressive forecheck, and puck pursuit. Awareness of where fellow players are on the ice. Canada has a great goaltender but that can only get you so far. It was almost unwatchable after the first period. I felt like even though we had two teams that should be physically relatively evenly matched, one is being coached to play some weak-ass midget-level hockey while the other is being coached to play pro.

Goaltending is the magic elixir, though (See: Hasek, Dominik, 1998)

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
If the US had tied the game, what's the format- OT? Tie? Shootout?

I assume it would be the same format as mens, so a 5 minute 3 on 3 followed by a shootout. I remember the last gold medal game between USA and Can...the 3 on 3 (due to penalties) wasn't pretty.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Very entertaining game, hopefully we see them both in the gold medal game but with suspect USA goaltending who knows if they even make it there. A little surprised at how USA dominated most of the play.

A loss isn't as harsh when I get to see Tessa Bonhomme between periods. :laugh:

Yeah there’s no way they aren’t getting there. They tend to increase their level of play once they get out of this group round. Unless they run into a goalie who stops like 65 shots they aren’t losing to anyone else

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
Not accustomed to it I guess. I mean I see less vitriol when fans talk about their rival teams.

Honestly? This team isn't all that likeable. Putting aside the whole "Pay or I don't play!" stunt they pulled right before the World Championships, the veterans have been more about gimme gimme gimme, winning personal accolades, and reclaiming the gold medal that was "stolen" from them at Sochi than playing as a team and representing their country. Yes "stolen from them" is their words not mine. They are so mentally hung up on beating Canada they can't get out of their own way.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Yeah there’s no way they aren’t getting there. They tend to increase their level of play once they get out of this group round. Unless they run into a goalie who stops like 65 shots they aren’t losing to anyone else

Wouldn't be the first time a goalie has done that in this tournament. USA had twice as many shots as Canada (legit scoring areas) including 3 off the pipe...Canada wins. USA had 2-3x as many shots as Finland and could've easily lost that game too, seems like the rare moment the puck finds its way into USA's zone it ends up in the back of the net.

Hilary Knight has done nothing but choke this entire tournament as well. I wouldn't honestly put it past USA to lose to some goalie standing on their head despite the fact this is far and away the best US team I've seen.

PTmbp13

Jan 21, 2007
The ending was good. Is that comon in womens hockey. I never seen it though.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Edit~~~Actually I think the Olympics site had it all wrong at first.

I think its USA vs Finland or Sweden.

Canada vs Switzerland or Russia.

Last edited:

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
The ending was good. Is that comon in womens hockey. I never seen it though.

USA vs Canada games are always exciting imo. I may be in the minority but I really enjoy watching womens hockey, especially USA vs Canada. Everyone wants to try and compare them to men instead of enjoying it for what it is.

With no NHLers in the Olympics I actually could care less about the mens side this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad