Wolf Pack staying in Hartford!

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
https://nypost.com/2018/10/04/msg-moving-ahead-with-plans-to-spin-off-the-knicks-and-rangers/
maybe they will sell the wolfpack to Another Team or local owner Dolan has let hockey ops/spectrum handle the wolf pack
nope, multiple arenas and teams have used Spectra either to build them or manage them..... it won't happen anyway since Spectra also owns and operates Portland as they have done for years independent of the arena contract, some have forgotten it was Spectra who built Cross to begin with

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
MSG IS, Centrum, not Hartford.... still in question and this comes directly from the Rangers board, and their insiders which has not been decided and brought up from time to time here as well is what is the future of the XL Center as it presently stands as compared to similar markets which have been renovated or replaced various amentities

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
MSG IS, Centrum, not Hartford.... still in question and this comes directly from the Rangers board, and their insiders which has not been decided and brought up from time to time here as well is what is the future of the XL Center as it presently stands as compared to similar markets which have been renovated or replaced various amentities
The long term future of the building has nothing to do with the Wolfpack committing for 20-21.

soundtigersfan

Feb 28, 2007
CT
I'm glad to see them staying, but there are much larger issues with minor league hockey interest in Connecticut as a whole that threaten their long-term viability. My perception as a lifelong resident of the state who has lived in Fairfield, Middlesex and now Hartford Counties is that neither the Sound Tigers nor the Wolf Pack have the same level of interest and visibility in the community that they once enjoyed. Interest in college hockey continues to grow with several excellent programs throughout the state (Yale, Quinnipiac and UCONN among them), and most of that growth seems to be coming from cannibalization at the expense of the minor pro teams and their respective fanbases. I don't think there are any quick fixes to help either team. It's easy to blame it on marketing, but I think it's a much bigger issue. Hockey continues to remain very popular as a sport, but the minor pro teams seem to have declining interest and attendance.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Hartford is almost certainly a AHL or nothing market there is no way anything below the AHL will ever work.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I'm glad to see them staying, but there are much larger issues with minor league hockey interest in Connecticut as a whole that threaten their long-term viability. My perception as a lifelong resident of the state who has lived in Fairfield, Middlesex and now Hartford Counties is that neither the Sound Tigers nor the Wolf Pack have the same level of interest and visibility in the community that they once enjoyed. Interest in college hockey continues to grow with several excellent programs throughout the state (Yale, Quinnipiac and UCONN among them), and most of that growth seems to be coming from cannibalization at the expense of the minor pro teams and their respective fanbases. I don't think there are any quick fixes to help either team. It's easy to blame it on marketing, but I think it's a much bigger issue. Hockey continues to remain very popular as a sport, but the minor pro teams seem to have declining interest and attendance.

Are there many Islanders fans in the Bridgeport area? I always thought that was more Rangers country. Meanwhile, Hartford can hardly be considered Rangers country... so I wonder how much that has to do with it.

soundtigersfan

Feb 28, 2007
CT
Are there many Islanders fans in the Bridgeport area? I always thought that was more Rangers country. Meanwhile, Hartford can hardly be considered Rangers country... so I wonder how much that has to do with it.

I don't think that has much to do with it at all. My best guess is there are no more than 1,000 Islander fans in all of CT. Outside of the "Whalers or bust" crowd the state is mostly split between Ranger and Bruins fans based on geography.

You could make an argument that the parent clubs might potentially alienate some diehard fans of opposing teams (i.e. Ranger fans who won't root for an Islanders farm team in Fairfield and New Haven Counties or Bruins/Whalers fans that will never root for a Rangers farm team in the Greater Hartford Area), but the reality is that most people attending minor league hockey games do so because it's affordable and easily accessible. You don't have to drive hours to get to a game, pay $30+ for parking, and spend hundreds of dollars per ticket for some of the most inflated ticket prices in the NHL between Boston and New York. Instead, you can get in and out relatively easily and afford to take the family out to a game.

I think carving out more of a local identity for each team that acknowledges that it's a development league but doesn't tie the identities of the local teams as much to the parent club is a plus, but I'm not sure there are any easy solutions. College hockey is on the rise in the state, and that's a great thing. However, it's cannibalizing existing AHL fans for sure.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I don't think that has much to do with it at all. My best guess is there are no more than 1,000 Islander fans in all of CT. Outside of the "Whalers or bust" crowd the state is mostly split between Ranger and Bruins fans based on geography.

You could make an argument that the parent clubs might potentially alienate some diehard fans of opposing teams (i.e. Ranger fans who won't root for an Islanders farm team in Fairfield and New Haven Counties or Bruins/Whalers fans that will never root for a Rangers farm team in the Greater Hartford Area), but the reality is that most people attending minor league hockey games do so because it's affordable and easily accessible. You don't have to drive hours to get to a game, pay $30+ for parking, and spend hundreds of dollars per ticket for some of the most inflated ticket prices in the NHL between Boston and New York. Instead, you can get in and out relatively easily and afford to take the family out to a game.

I think carving out more of a local identity for each team that acknowledges that it's a development league but doesn't tie the identities of the local teams as much to the parent club is a plus, but I'm not sure there are any easy solutions. College hockey is on the rise in the state, and that's a great thing. However, it's cannibalizing existing AHL fans for sure.

I don't think of this as a huge factor that will cause sudden problems, but what you were describing was a slow erosion. The Sound Tigers have been there for almost 20 years, the Wolf Pack for slightly longer. That slow erosion of enthusiasm could play a role.

Also, I don't see how it's possible to establish a local identity separate from the big club when the locale is filled with fans of the affiliation's rival. Isn't this essentially a similar problem that Abbotsford ran into, albeit with different economics?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

the issue, which is gone permanently, at least in Bridgeport's case, and others throughout the region, is a committed ownership group, now both teams have connections regionally, Worcester and Portland, as compared to a few years ago, when the Rangers were in Greenville, there's more of a connection now, since Bridgeport essentially replaced New Haven.

HWP1997

Nov 2, 2016
Hartford is almost certainly a AHL or nothing market there is no way anything below the AHL will ever work.
Indeed. And there is no way anything above the AHL will ever work.

That is unfortunately the case...many still think the NHL is returning at some point.
Yeah and those who still believe the NHL/Failers are coming back are VERY delusional.

Whalers fans that will never root for a Rangers farm team in the Greater Hartford Area
What's ironic (and hilarious) is Failers fans claim to "support" Hartford hockey and yet they're actively boycotting the Wolf Pack at the same time.

Reactions: Checkers Hockey

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
the issue, which is gone permanently, at least in Bridgeport's case, and others throughout the region, is a committed ownership group, now both teams have connections regionally, Worcester and Portland, as compared to a few years ago, when the Rangers were in Greenville, there's more of a connection now, since Bridgeport essentially replaced New Haven.
LOL LOL LOL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad