Post-Game Talk: WJC U20 Championship Game

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
i thought JT had a tremendous game defensively. even if his offense doesnt pan out at the nhl level he certainly looked like he could excel in a 3rd line C role.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
In Skeijs defense, the US defense did a great job at blocking shots and taking away ice around Gibson (who was fantastic). It's hard argue that Housley picked the wrong guys.

Miller showed character, but lacked a bit offensively for sure. It's important to remember that Sweden doesn't have a tenth the pedigree of Canada or 50% of what Russia have. Given the competition, a little more mojo offensively were to be expected to be honest. But a little more explosiveness in his skating would help him alot, and he is still very young...

Anyway, what we should take away from this game is how clutch the kid really is.

Three of the best players on the ice, Johnny Hockey, Grimaldi and Sandberg, appears to be like 5'3. There are room for smaller players in the game today (Torts!).

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Wow. Great win. So proud of this team. Never expected us to win Gold. So happy for all of them and especially happy that hockey is on the upswing in this country.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Jesus, someone should read the thread on the WJC board.

Things they talk about after USA wins:
-Americans and Europeans shouldn't be allowed in the CHL
-Less than 1% of Americans know what this tournament is
-The Bronze Medal thread has more posts

Who gives a **** if other Americans don't care? Obviously all the Americans here care, so I don't get that. Also, it just makes them look even worse if no American cares, because we beat them in a tournament that they care about so much, and apparently we don't.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Great game. Great job by USA. JT was very impressive defensively. Definitely has an NHL future. Very smart player. Don't know where this "10 cent brain" stuff came from.

John Gibson was amazing. Anaheim has to be so excited.

Ghost was horrible.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

Who gives a **** if other Americans don't care? Obviously all the Americans here care, so I don't get that. Also, it just makes them look even worse if no American cares, because we beat them in a tournament that they care about so much, and apparently we don't.

That would be fine by me. The level of skill in college hockey would skyrocket, potentially bringing in more American fans to the game of hockey.

Jan 8, 2012
NY

Don Cherry is a moron. That is all.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Don't mind the main board. They are literary brainwashed by TSN. They will never even breath about crap pulled by Canadians agains Russians before a game (shooting pucks at their coach and a ton of trash talk), then they'll show Russian kids taunting Canadians after the game and act like they have a right to be offended.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Great game. Great job by USA. JT was very impressive defensively. Definitely has an NHL future. Very smart player. Don't know where this "10 cent brain" stuff came from.

John Gibson was amazing. Anaheim has to be so excited.

Ghost was horrible.

Forget Anaheim, what about USA hockey!?!

Miller, Quick, Campbell, Gibson, Howard, Schneider, Bachman (if he pans out).

The 2018 Olympic team is going to be sick with Gibson and Campbell fighting for that starting spot.

Clowes Line

Cally's Chicken Parm
Aug 11, 2010
New Yawk
www.outsidethegarden.com
So... USA!

32945110.jpg

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
I don't see why people are so high on Seth Jones. He was very skilled, but had a pea sized brain.
Unbelievably selfish

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I don't see why people are so high on Seth Jones. He was very skilled, but had a pea sized brain.
Unbelievably selfish

Patrick Kane. Don't like him but there's your example of a self-centered idiot who has a successful NHL career regardless.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Not only that, but if you compare Trouba last year to Jones this year Jones is far and away the better player.

Trouba had a huge leap in development and there is no guarentee Jones will. But thats the projection game. And if Jones does take that jump watch out.

Clowes Line

Cally's Chicken Parm
Aug 11, 2010
New Yawk
www.outsidethegarden.com
At this point, I'd take Trouba over Jones every day of the week. Kid has a great head on his shoulders, gives his all on defense, and can chip in on offense, as we saw. Very solid two-way defenseman with a great head.

Jones was making such bone-headed, sometimes selfish, plays this tournament, it was unbelievable.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
At this point, I'd take Trouba over Jones every day of the week. Kid has a great head on his shoulders, gives his all on defense, and can chip in on offense, as we saw. Very solid two-way defenseman with a great head.

Jones was making such bone-headed, sometimes selfish, plays this tournament, it was unbelievable.

No doubt. Trouba at Mich and this tourney has taken a monumental leap and is one of the top d prospects in the world.

My point was comparing their two pre-draft WJCs.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Jones will be a phenomenal player. The criticism of his play is way over the top. He's an 18 year old and was very very good in a 19 year old tournament. Does anyone remember Pietrangelo in his first WJC? He was terrible and came back the next year and was great. Jones at the same age showed far more than Pietrangelo did in their first tournament and now Pietrangelo is one of the most valued assets in the NHL. Trouba also looks like hes going to be a big time player and probably should have been the 1st dman taken in his draft.

Kershaw

Unbelievably selfish

Huh? He was so good in this tournament as an underager. He is going to be an elite player for a long, long time.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Not only that, but if you compare Trouba last year to Jones this year Jones is far and away the better player.

Trouba had a huge leap in development and there is no guarentee Jones will. But thats the projection game. And if Jones does take that jump watch out.

This. Not really as cut and dry as people want to make it. I've said it before, but it's pretty obvious that this is the first time many posters around here have watched Jones play. Far too small of a sample size to be passing judgement.

Kershaw

Jones was clearly our thoroughbred offensively. He was also a beast with his size and reach.

Trouba was good last year, but as an underager he wasn't as good as Jones. Trouba has 1 more yr experience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad