WJC thread

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
With a back-to-back though, he should've at least cycled McLeod into either one of the games, especially when it seemed like he was effective in his limited minutes.

I'm not saying in OT, both teams shortened the bench in OT to 3 lines and 5 defenders it seemed. But having a guy with McLeod's speed playing limited shifts likely would've created havoc for the US defenders. I believe on his only shift he set up a great scoring chance last night.

It's a do or die game, utilizing a player that barely played in a semifinal or final game wouldn't be my first choice either.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Stome & Barzal I can understand, but for the 12th pick he should have beat out Roy or Cirelli. To bad for the Devils. Hopefully, he has a bigger role next year.

Roy was one of their better players.
Another shrewd pick by Carolina, they have loaded up their prospect pool in the last 3 to 4 drafts with some of them succeeding in the NHL already with Pesce and Aho.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Roy was one of their better players.
Another shrewd pick by Carolina, they have loaded up their prospect pool in the last 3 to 4 drafts with some of them succeeding in the NHL already with Pesce and Aho.

If you were a Canes fan you'd be complaining all the time about how they took Fleury over Nylander.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Let's not pretend like Speers is two years older, he just turned 20 two days ago. They are one draft apart. But yes they were used pretty much the same on both teams.

No one is pretending that all..he is a year older - In an Under 20 yo tourney. An Under 20 Tourney that relies heavily on 19 year old's. -- That is all - No more or less.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
And to the above:

Both Roy and Cirelli are 19 year olds.

Don't you expect more growth/development/production from a Draft +2 player than a Draft +1 player....That is what these junior coaches are banking on. And that is why they rely on those players more.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Stome & Barzal I can understand, but for the 12th pick he should have beat out Roy or Cirelli. To bad for the Devils. Hopefully, he has a bigger role next year.

Strome was not good in this tournament either, but this is just how these things shake out.

This isn't an easy team to make in the first place.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yeah I'm on the side that Anderson was encouraging in this tournament.

Speers has more scoring talent then he showed, but he was also asked to play a primarily checking role (and did it well).

Hard to really take a lot away about McLeod because of his limited playing time.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
From TSN:

Terry scored the shootout winner, the only shooter to score on Carter Hart, in the second-ever skills competition to decide a World Junior Championship.

ROFL.

If Canada won in the shootout it would be, "glorious team from Canada unmatchable in ultimate athletic 1 on 1 test of hockey skills in dominant win of World Junior Championship."

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
From TSN:

ROFL.

If Canada won in the shootout it would be, "glorious team from Canada unmatchable in ultimate athletic 1 on 1 test of hockey skills in dominant win of World Junior Championship."

:laugh: It's true. But I can't begrudge them. It is kind of silly to have a shootout settle a Championship.

Could you imagine a home run derby to determine the World Series winner :laugh:

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
….on to next year…..

you would think it was in columbus if the logo didnt have the name below… :laugh:….and why the stain city? why????!!!

The only reason it's in Buffalo is so it can be as close as possible to Canada without the games technically being played in Canada.

It's basically being played in Toronto's southern suburb. The WJC unapologetically favors Canada, and it's always like that.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
It is kind of silly to have a shootout settle a Championship.

Could you imagine a home run derby to determine the World Series winner :laugh:

Oh, I agree 100%. I'm just reviewing Canadian media today and finding it hilarious all the "shots" being taken at the shootout final. Had Canada won the shootout, NOTHING would be said. Crickets.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
The Canadian fans and media bashing the shootout is annoying. We all know it's stupid but there isn't a single person who be as upset had they actually won the gold via the shootout. I hate it but it's nice to come out on the winning side.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
The Canadian fans and media bashing the shootout is annoying. We all know it's stupid but there isn't a single person who be as upset had they actually won the gold via the shootout. I hate it but it's nice to come out on the winning side.

They hate it, but they have no issue bringing up medals they won because of a shootout haha.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Salty Canadian media is the best.

It's just annoying that so much of the Canuck media instantly moved to "lessen" our victory because it's a shootout. Let us have it for god's sake, you beat us 4/5 times normally.

No matter. IMO, generally speaking most Canadians have no idea how much better USA hockey has gotten in the past 10 years. All the 10 & 12 years olds all over the country playing ice hockey right now in places that didnt even used to have hockey rinks. They'll realize it soon enough.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
It's just annoying that so much of the Canuck media instantly moved to "lessen" our victory because it's a shootout. Let us have it for god's sake, you beat us 4/5 times normally.

No matter. IMO, generally speaking most Canadians have no idea how much better USA hockey has gotten in the past 10 years. All the 10 & 12 years olds all over the country playing ice hockey right now in places that didnt even used to have hockey rinks. They'll realize it soon enough.

I grew up in Paterson and had 4 friends that liked hockey. We used to always say "if places like Paterson, Passaic and Newark ever got into hockey, Canadians would have nothing left". :). Could you imagine if Craig Hayward grew up as a hockey player? Or Victor Cruise (alumnus of my highschool). Or Tim Thomas (another alumni)...Yeah I've literally been dreaming about that for 30+ years. I hope I see the day

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
NJ should be a lock to have 4 players at the WJC next year:
McLeod
Anderson
Maltsev
Bratt

Outside chance for Bastian and Gignac. You may get two more from this upcoming draft. 6 or 7 players at the WJC would be exciting for Devils fans.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
NJ should be a lock to have 4 players at the WJC next year:
McLeod
Anderson
Maltsev
Bratt

Outside chance for Bastian and Gignac. You may get two more from this upcoming draft. 6 or 7 players at the WJC would be exciting for Devils fans.

Bastian and Gignac aren't eligible for next year's WJC as they turn 20 this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad