GDT: WJC Thread | Jones (0-2-2); Rasanen (2-4-6) | USA wins the gold

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I havn't really watched any of the games this year and I'm not sure if I will catch one or not.

Usually it's a tradition but no Patrick, no Pulju, no Liljegren (?).

Boo.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Fun period for Jones. Really involved. Some excellent outlet passes and some nice pinches. Got caught up ice on one dangerous Latvian chance, but his forwards covered for him. Was in an ongoing battle with Dzierkals all period and drew a penalty in the final seconds of the period.

Nice start.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Fun period for Jones. Really involved. Some excellent outlet passes and some nice pinches. Got caught up ice on one dangerous Latvian chance, but his forwards covered for him. Was in an ongoing battle with Dzierkals all period and drew a penalty in the final seconds of the period.

Nice start.

He looked great. Excellent shifty skater in his own end to elude opponents, and great outlet pass. Had a great read in the O-zone to pinch down for the back door pass, but the puck hopped on him last second otherwise he might have scored one. Plays with a nice physical edge and is feisty.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I havn't really watched any of the games this year and I'm not sure if I will catch one or not.

Usually it's a tradition but no Patrick, no Pulju, no Liljegren (?).

Boo.

You wanna watch swedish defenseman Rasmus Dahlin. Kid is amazing. I've been pumping his tires since October when I caught him live for the first time. Only 16 years old but you wouldn't believe it if you watch him play. Probably gonna break the points record in this tournament for 16 year old D. Already got two points against Denmark today. On par, if not ahead of Victor Hedman at the same age. Could be the best swedish D since Lidström :nod:

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
He looked great. Excellent shifty skater in his own end to elude opponents, and great outlet pass. Had a great read in the O-zone to pinch down for the back door pass, but the puck hopped on him last second otherwise he might have scored one. Plays with a nice physical edge and is feisty.

I was convinced by the end of the tournament he would emerge as their best defenseman. Looks that way already as fitzgerald and McAvoy have both looked unimpressive, or Caleb's just so impressive they look average. Can't tell which one.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I was convinced by the end of the tournament he would emerge as their best defenseman. Looks that way already as fitzgerald and McAvoy have both looked unimpressive, or Caleb's just so impressive they look average. Can't tell which one.

I think McAvoy has been pretty good. Fitzgerald hasn't looked good. Made a poor pass to McAvoy leading to that breakaway that turned into the 4 on 3. Jones is just looking really composed out there and is making a lot of great plays.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
I think McAvoy has been pretty good. Fitzgerald hasn't looked good. Made a poor pass to McAvoy leading to that breakaway that turned into the 4 on 3. Jones is just looking really composed out there and is making a lot of great plays.

Yea agree on all fronts there, Just think for me Jones was more noticeable than McAvoy, especially that first period.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Dahlin should be the biggest story of the tourney

I'm pickin Phillippe Myers to turn some heads also

McKappa

philip bruhberg
Oct 16, 2011
Edmonton
Dahlin is the best defense prospect of the 2010s, hasn't been someone like him since Victor Hedman and Drew Doughty.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Niemalainen, Rasanen and Benson should be big parts of theirs teams next tournament.

Wells will have competition as a goaltender but that's good considering his progression so far.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Caleb Jones has impressed me vastly with his style of play. I like his feistiness but that's in his blood, very competitive.

We may have something in him.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Too bad Caleb doesn't shoot RH. The leftorium is so deep, it guarantees some decent LH D are going to be flushed that otherwise might have developed. Oilers asset management strikes again.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
*Hijacking this thread as the all-around WJC talk thread*

Two interesting draft eligibles in the early game today between Switzerland and Czech Republic. Nico Hischier vs Martin Necas. Both smallish but skilled centers with great skating. Hischier likely a top10 pick, Necas a top20. Necas looks to really have hit a growth spurt lately as he is listed at close to 6'1 and he looks noticeably bigger now compared to earlier in the season (and he was listed at 5'11 at the beginning of it). The only real question with him earlier was size (was listed at 148lbs at the start of the year, now 168lbs), but if he can end up at 6'1 and fill out he is going to be a good one.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005

Two interesting draft eligibles in the early game today between Switzerland and Czech Republic. Nico Hischier vs Martin Necas. Both smallish but skilled centers with great skating. Hischier likely a top10 pick, Necas a top20. Necas looks to really have hit a growth spurt lately as he is listed at close to 6'1 and he looks noticeably bigger now compared to earlier in the season (and he was listed at 5'11 at the beginning of it). The only real question with him earlier was size (was listed at 148lbs at the start of the year, now 168lbs), but if he can end up at 6'1 and fill out he is going to be a good one.

I don't think Louis Cypher will mind if we as long as we keep up with the Jones and Rasanen updates.

We'll turn this into the all purpose WJC thread. Canadians game times will find their way to the marquee, but it's general all purpose talk.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

ahh yes.

The Swiss McDavid.

I was hoping he would come over on the import to play for "not London".

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Finland are terrible this year. Just a really young team with a poor coach and a bad goalie. Worst mix you can have, pretty much. Just hope they don't get relegated lol, they're gonna have a really good team next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad