GDT: WJC: Sweden vs Česko

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
This game is a BIG ONE for us, the Swedes and Canada. Swedes beat us and Canada beats Sweden and the pool is theirs.

Czechs had a once in 30 year victory over Canada. A miracle. However, we beat Canada in 2014 in OT. 8 years ago. Swedes have been torching us since 2002! I did some digging and here is our record against them:

2003 Sweden 1 and Czechs 3 (last time we beat them)
2005 Our last medal

2006 Sweden 3 and Czechs 2
2007 Swedes 5 and Czechs 1 (Quarters)
2008 Sweden 4 and Czechs 2
2010 Swedes 6 and Czechs 3
2011 Swedes 6 and Czechs 3
2013 Swedes 4 and Czechs 1
2015 Sweden 5 and Czechs 2
2017 Sweden 5 and Czechs 2
2018 Sweden 3 and Czechs 1
2019 Sweden 10 and Czechs 1
2020 Sweden 5 and Czechs 0 (Quarters)
2021 Sweden 7 and Czechs 1
2022 Sweden 3 and Czechs 1 (Bronze game)

Last time we beat them was in December of 2002. We have lost every single match since then by decidedly lopsided scores. Make no mistake, this is Sweden's to lose. They have anhilated us for 2 decades here.

I'm guessing 4-2 Sweden and then our pool gets blown right up as Sweden and Canada can both win it.

Good luck to both. I'll be hoping we can strike lightning twice and end two very long losing streaks.

Last edited:

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
This game is a BIG ONE for us, the Swedes and Canada. Swedes beat us and Canada beats Sweden and the pool is theirs.

Czechs had a once in 30 year victory over Canada. A miracle. However, we beat Canada in 2014 in OT. 8 years ago. Swedes have been torching us since 2002! I did some digging and here is our record against them:

2005 Our last medal

Last time we beat them was in December of 2002. We have lost every single match since then by decidedly lopsided scores. Make no mistake, this is Sweden's to lose. They have anhilated us for 2 decades here.

I'm guessing 4-2 Sweden and then our pool gets blown right up as Sweden and Canada can both win it.

Good luck to both. I'll be hoping we can strike lightning twice and end two very long losing streaks.
Sounds like you guys are DUE for a win against Sweden! :laugh:
But seriously, you beat Canada not because you were lucky, but because you have a great team and played considerably better. Therefore, there's no reason you can't beat a Sweden team that I don't think is as good as Canada is.

Regarding who wins the pool, the tiebreakers are goal differential among the tied teams only. Our demolition of the weaker teams has no bearing. This means that Canada is in serious trouble with their -3 at the moment. Czechia is in great position to take top spot as things currently sit.

Reactions: majormajor

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
The Czechs needs to attack the Swedish goaltender aggressively at the beginning of the game in order at having a chance at winning this game.

The Czechs should be shooting high corners and making the Swedish goalie move, while staying aggressive and getting as many shots on goal as possible.

McCullogh

Feb 4, 2006
Paris
Hopefully Leo Carlsson can play, his participation was a bit doutbful yesterday but the coach said he was hoping that he would be able to play.

Looking forward to this game and if the Swedish defenders still look a bit stressed when under pressure, the last period vs Germany was awful in that regard.

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
It's going to be hella tough without a defense, but that's just the way it is, and Hävelid has to find a way to counter the Czechs and the Canadians. In the second group, they do not look convincing favorites so far, so this WJC tournament, paradoxically, may not mean a fatal obstacle if Sweden finishes in third place. The bad news is that Lysell is not playing a good tournament, the problem is where to put him so that he does not make his line unable to be effective.
I also have some hope in the fact that the Czechs have never been in the position of favorites against the Swedes, so who knows how this will affect the Czechs' mental attitude. In the past, they were able to beat one stronger opponent in the group, but not two.

Good news, the odds rose slightly to 4 for the Czechs to win. LOL

Sweden - Czechia 2-4

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

2005 Our last medal

Gonna miss this one driving to the airport, pretty bummed about it, should be one of the better games of the round robin.

It's going to be hella tough without a defense, but that's just the way it is, and Hävelid has to find a way to counter the Czechs and the Canadians. In the second group, they do not look convincing favorites so far, so this WJC tournament, paradoxically, may not mean a fatal obstacle if Sweden finishes in third place. The bad news is that Lysell is not playing a good tournament, the problem is where to put him so that he does not make his line unable to be effective.
I also have some hope in the fact that the Czechs have never been in the position of favorites against the Swedes, so who knows how this will affect the Czechs' mental attitude. In the past, they were able to beat one stronger opponent in the group, but not two.

Sweden - Czechia 2-4
I know I'm old but yeah, they have been favourites against the swedes in the past.

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
Gonna miss this one driving to the airport, pretty bummed about it, should be one of the better games of the round robin.

I know I'm old but yeah, they have been favourites against the swedes in the past.
Sure, I should have written it better and made a more precise time period when Sweden was the favorite. So let's say from 2007 to 2021?

Reactions: jj cale

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

Have a safe flight and hopefully your luggage shows. High stakes game for this pool for sure. So many outcomes hinge on this one for Canada, Sweden and Czechs. You should be cheering for Sweden as that would leave you a chance to win pool!

Reactions: jj cale

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

Sweden - Czechia 2-4
Czechs better not think they are favorites!

The other pool may be a crossover nightmare.. they are all going to be battle tested and pissed off! Quarters may be better than I originally thought.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
This is gonna be interesting. Czechs look really strong Sweden doesn’t really look up to par.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
As usual, expecting Czechs to lose here. Not surprised if we win, but this happens every year. 1 really good game and crap the bed for the rest.
Austria doesn’t count, they’re insanely bad.

Hopefully I’m wrong and we can finally turn our fortunes around today. When’s the last time Czechs have won a group??
Thinking Suchanek will have to be really good again for a chance to win.
Fingers crossed!

Reactions: Czechboy

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Winner of this group could easily be decided by goal differential between Cze, Swe and Can. This game is key for both teams.

JlindiesANA

Dec 15, 2022
Have a safe flight and hopefully your luggage shows. High stakes game for this pool for sure. So many outcomes hinge on this one for Canada, Sweden and Czechs. You should be cheering for Sweden as that would leave you a chance to win pool!

A huge number of flights are cancelled in USA due to weather. Is there any issues in Canada you are hearing? I noticed there’s only a couple arenas where this is being played at. Maybe they don’t need flights back and forth.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Also expecting a little more from Jiricek today. He has been good but not outstanding.
Tough travel here, game against Canada, then game next day vs Austria.
Finally had a day of rest yesterday.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
A huge number of flights are cancelled in USA due to weather. Is there any issues in Canada you are hearing? I noticed there’s only a couple arenas where this is being played at. Maybe they don’t need flights back and forth.
Jiricek has his flight take 3 days and his luggage was lost. The east got hit hard with storms. Power out, blowing snow etc. Been a real tough time to travel.

Reactions: JlindiesANA

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Also expecting a little more from Jiricek today. He has been good but not outstanding.
Tough travel here, game against Canada, then game next day vs Austria.
Finally had a day of rest yesterday.
Agreed... He's been out third best D. But what an amazing problem to have. I am leaving here a huge Spacek fan! He is in the line is slegr and, um, spacek.lol. 2 of my fav Czech D's of all time.

Reactions: czechcanadian

JlindiesANA

Dec 15, 2022
Jiricek has his flight take 3 days and his luggage was lost. The east got hit hard with storms. Power out, blowing snow etc. Been a real tough time to travel.

Yah, and I read Toronto just got fined 100k for traveling as well

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Agreed... He's been out third best D. But what an amazing problem to have. I am leaving here a huge Spacek fan! He is in the line is slegr and, um, spacek.lol. 2 of my fav Czech D's of all time.

Špaček's face reveals pretty clear who his father is. And yes, there is certain similarity in the type of game he is playing too.

Reactions: Czechboy

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Looks like Carlsson is playing. 🥳

And of course Lindbom in net. You kinda feel bad for Blomquist, potentially leaving with 0 GP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad