GDT: WJC: Russia Vs Sweden | December 26th @ 2:30PM MT

Cahokia

Sep 24, 2021
It's hard to fathom how one can witness two trainwreck goaltending performances on one team in the same game, as well as a circus of stupid, undisciplined penalties, and think that the reason for the loss was because two CHL defensemen weren't included in the roster.

But I suppose if you didn't watch the game and just had an axe to grind it is possible.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
It's hard to fathom how one can witness two trainwreck goaltending performances on one team in the same game, as well as a circus of stupid, undisciplined penalties, and think that the reason for the loss was because two CHL defensemen weren't included in the roster.

But I suppose if you didn't watch the game and just had an axe to grind it is possible.

Gotta admire the dedication tho.

Reactions: Cahokia

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
For the record I really like Mukhamadulin and Kirsanov but that was essentially the top four last year, with Chayka and Kuz. I honestly thought this could be a really good year for Russia because they had four D I really liked. To not bring two of them just doesn’t make sense to me.

Last years TOI:
Mukhamadullin 21:04, Chistyakov 20:49, Kirsanov 20:35, Knyazev 20:02, Kuznetsov 14:21, Chayka 12:39, Bychkov 10:11, Shekhovtsov. 4:06

Chayka/Kuznetsov were depth guys. They would’ve rounded out this year’s dcore well. But they’re not difference makers. They’re average players on this year’s team too.

It’s the same thing every year though. North Americans overate CHL guys, or their favorite teams prospects.
But when the smoke settles, the Russian selections are almost always validated. The North American non-selections rarely if ever amount to anything.

The NHL world can be very insular.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Meh, you’re trying too hard, Sweden didn’t dominate in the slightest and Russia is known for slow starts.

Let's hope so for Russias sake - because they didnt look very good for the majority of the game. Maybe dominating isnt the right word, but it was a very convincing win for Sweden.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Olausson is the best shooter on Sweden, but got absolutely zero 5v3 time and I don't understand it? Of course it doesn't matter because they capitalised on them, but that poor coaching decision could hurt them deeper in the tournament.

Better shooter than Holtz? I dunno about that

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Meh, you’re trying too hard, Sweden didn’t dominate in the slightest and Russia is known for slow starts.
Sweden does have the 2nd best roster at the tournament after Canada in my opinion. Of course USA are defending champs, but Sweden is also bouncing back from 2 quarter final losses in the past 5 years.

Russia pushed hard when they scored 2 goals. Michkov's wicked assist probably scared Sweden for a little bit, but they got Holtz in his 3rd WJC, Edvinsson is a big security blanket, and Eklund are all going to be good NHLers. The effort it takes for Russia to score is much less for Sweden.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Olausson is the best shooter on Sweden, but got absolutely zero 5v3 time and I don't understand it? Of course it doesn't matter because they capitalised on them, but that poor coaching decision could hurt them deeper in the tournament.
Holtz has the best shot on the team pretty obviously. But I agree that Olausson clearly deserves 5v3 time. Didn’t hold the team back today though.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
I think Sweden just became a gold-candidate this year. Everything needed for that is there: Offense, defense and Wahsltedt.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
I think Sweden just became a gold-candidate this year. Everything needed for that is there: Offense, defense and Wahsltedt.
Yup, Sweden is very strong this year. If Wallstedt is able to maintain that level, they are extremely tough to beat.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Russia will definitely beat Sweden if they meet again, certainly a better team overall, gotta clean up defensive mistakes and discipline.

Haha, pure guessing from your side, not impressed, "definately beat"? sure dude, why don't you go buy a lottery ticket?

Of course Russia will be able to defeat Sweden a good day but it's not because you say so. What's your point?

Sweden is playing like a team and we are loyal and disciplined, we have had a good strong team spirit for more than thousand years, it's our strength.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Better shooter than Holtz? I dunno about that

Holtz has the best shot on the team pretty obviously. But I agree that Olausson clearly deserves 5v3 time. Didn’t hold the team back today though.
In terms of pure shooting, I actually argue that Olausson is the best sniper on Sweden. However, with that being said, Holtz is the better player overall and is a better overall offensive player compared to Olausson.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
This is the relevant IIHF rule

I assume, like the NHL, cross checking the shooter into the goalie qualifies as the defender knocking the net off.
Sure, but the end result ends more like a puck and meat pinball circus than a good goal. A pile of meat crashing into eachother while the vulcanized rubber entering anything called a goal before is good to go. Either way that's good in an entertainment industry. Even when they've told they try to protect the goalie. But that was like two seasons ago, so that's not valid anymore. Very logical in an entertainement industry circus. Quarter reports. The memory of a greedy goldfish. Modern business.

1) Hockey says they try to protect goalies to do their job. A truth 24 months ago, a total lie now.
2) They encourage aggressive plays like these by the forwards.
3) They penalize defensemen, but they're going to try to stop them any day.
4) Meat grinder goals are concluded to stay over goalie protection.
5) So screw goaltending protection I guess. As a forward, just go 110% if you're struggling to keep a spot on your team and career. Screw the goalies.

By all means, penalize the defensemen, even give them a 2+2. But DO NOT give these meat grinder goals a positive result. Is that the hockey we want? Ok... Just go hard and don't mind if you crash the goalie then from any contact. In fact, hope for any contact to sell it.

Conclusion: Goalies are all to themselves again in the sport and are sacrificed for "the entertainment value." Because they're too good and so they're free for all again.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad