WJC - Russia 2017

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Yan played at non-IIHF tournaments, so he is still eligible for Russia. Last thing I heard about him was that he hasn't decided which country to represent. Imo, if he decides to represent Russia, it should be done already this spring, as probably Bragin won't wait for too long. I'm not actually sure we need him, but him being over 1,5 ppg at QMJHL this season makes me think he could be useful.

He would be useful, he was on the US NTDP team as one of the top forwards in the country, certainly a quality player.

enj92

Oct 2, 2015
Ufa
Andrei Svechnikov?

It's almost unreal I think. And is he really THAT good?

I mean you should be Ovechkin like good to be invited in u-20 team at 16.

If he'll just destroy MHL next season (let us say 2 points per game average) then maybe we'll see him at SSS.

Raptor1990

May 21, 2013
Devínska Nová Ves
It's almost unreal I think. And is he really THAT good?

I mean you should be Ovechkin like good to be invited in u-20 team at 16.

If he'll just destroy MHL next season (let us say 2 points per game average) then maybe we'll see him at SSS.

Alexander Zhabreyev

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=339968

http://fhr.ru/en/national_teams/junior/u16/players/

Soon in month we will see them in Lillehammer Winter Youth Olympics hopefully the statistics will prove their qualities.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Rumyantsev harshly criticized him for being out of shape.

If it would be Rumyantsev, then it would be totally fine, but that was Prokhorov who criticized him, which is much more serious. I mean, every time he is asked about Sokolov and his WJC chances the answer is a very strict 'No'. For example, Prokhorov is much more positive about Sergachyov and Abramov, so I really don't know what could happened between Sokolov and him that made him being that harsh about the former star of his team.

Raptor1990

May 21, 2013
Devínska Nová Ves
If it would be Rumyantsev, then it would be totally fine, but that was Prokhorov who criticized him, which is much more serious. I mean, every time he is asked about Sokolov and his WJC chances the answer is a very strict 'No'. For example, Prokhorov is much more positive about Sergachyov and Abramov, so I really don't know what could happened between Sokolov and him that made him being that harsh about the former star of his team.

Filatov, Kabanov, Kitsyn I really don`t see any differences between them and Sokolov.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012

My bad. It was Prokhorov, as you say.

Passionis

Dec 10, 2015
Too bad about Sokolov, he looked special beginning of last year, but I certainly noticed him being out of shape the few games I watched.

Any future Ovechkins on the horizon other than maybe Svechnikov?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Filatov, Kabanov, Kitsyn I really don`t see any differences between them and Sokolov.

Filatov- Rushed

Kabanov - immature teen star who moved too early, I believe parents had $ so maybe less motivation

Kitsyn- peaked really early

Sokolov - sniper with heavy feet, IQ and work ethic are questionable

Kosostelev- one dimensional even from young age, subpar skater

Kashtonov- peaked early

Almost all had big question marks as you can see.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I'm rather sceptical about chances of 1998 born CHL wingers (Abramov, Sokolov, Kuznetsov, Popugayev) to make it, unless they tear it up in the SuperSeries. In my opinion most chances from 1998 borns has Sergachyov, Rubtsov and, if there is a deficit for big-bodied role players, Maltsev. Currently I could think of something like this (assuming Provorov is unavailable, of course):

Kaprizov-Vorobyov-Guryanov
Polunin-Rubtsov-Mityakin
Maltsev-Trenin-Krikunenko/Babenko
Li/Bobylyov-Belyayev-Artyomov

Rykov-Voronkov
Sergachyov-Zborovskiy
Volkov-Sidorov
Kudako-Shchemerov

Samsonov
Krasotkin
Sukhachyov/Berdin

Last edited:

Raptor1990

May 21, 2013
Devínska Nová Ves
I'm rather sceptical about chances of 1998 born CHL wingers (Abramov, Sokolov, Kuznetsov, Popugayev) to make it, unless they tear it up in the SuperSeries. In my opinion most chances from 1998 borns has Sergachyov, Rubtsov and, if there is a deficit for big-bodied role players, Maltsev. Currently I could think of something like this (assuming Provorov is unavailable, of course):

Polunin-Rubtsov-Mityakin
Li-Belyayev-Artyomov

Rykov-Voronkov
Sergachyov-Zborovskiy
Volkov-Sidorov
Kudako-Shchemerov

Samsonov
Krasotkin
Sukhachyov/Berdin

How about Slepets instead Mityakin ?

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
I can't stress skating speed enough and I will again :D. Bragin - get these **** to train to skate fast as hell!! We can't afford losing games because of that.

There is no scientific evidence that I am aware of that the skating speed of a player can be significantly increased through training alone. Speed is a genetically endowed gift that you either have or you don't. There is evidence, mainly in the form of Soviet national teams of the past, that the speed with which plays are executed can be increased through hard and repeated training, but that is impractical for Russia, because half the guys play all year on different continents.

I didn't notice that the Russian forwards were demonstrably slower in this tournament than their competitors, although that might have been true in individual cases, such as with Matthews or Laine. Many of the Russian forwards were big and heavy, which may have appeared to make them look slow. There was a big difference with the speed of Russian defensemen and opposing forwards, which definitely forced Russia to concede the blue line and set up a defense right in front of the goaltender. The odds in that circumstance are against the defending team.

I think that the system must recruit and train more good athletes as defensemen.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
How about Slepets instead Mityakin ?

Mityakin has the size and age advantage, also he already has some experience in KHL and VHL and is expected to be KHL regular next year - Slepets most likely won't have that experience at all next year as he will be with U18 team in MHL. I like Slepets, but definitely not for the next WJC.

Passionis

Dec 10, 2015
I actually noticed that on average that Russian players, especially KHLers like Kaprizov, Polunin and Korshkov while might not have highest straight line speed, their "game speed" (transition, getting open, cutting angles) was a level above the Jr. Level that we saw from players who don't regularly play in men's league. I don't think speed was a real issue. If anything it's the CHL defense man who had their skating weakness exposed on big ice

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I've always believed that it's beneficial for the defensemen to go to NA and for the forwards to stay home as much as possible

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I've always believed that it's beneficial for the defensemen to go to NA and for the forwards to stay home as much as possible

I think we need to have some NA developed defensmen success stories first to make statements like that. Or do you mean AHL too, not only juniors?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008

Polunin-Rubtsov-Mityakin
Li/Bobylyov-Belyayev-Artyomov

Rykov-Voronkov
Sergachyov-Zborovskiy
Volkov-Sidorov
Kudako-Shchemerov

Samsonov
Krasotkin
Sukhachyov/Berdin

As with a typical Bragin Roster first 1-2 lines are offensive, 3rd has offensive and defensive capabilities and 4th is the hardworking energy line. For entertainments sake I would love to see 3 offensive lines and for him to include the 98s but I believe you're right. It would be lucky that even one of these players makes the team. Can't argue with his track record though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad