WJC: WJC Predictions

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Well I haven't seen any threads on this so I thought I would start one. If Canada wins gold they will set a WJC record with most golds in a row. I believe this will be the toughest one to win out of the previous five. Canada is playing on home ice which is always an advantage for them. I believe there are three teams that have an excellent chance at winning; Sweden, Russia and Canada and the U.S. with an outside chance. I am really hoping Sweden wins this year and I will be cheering for them even though I am Canadian.

So does anyone else have predictions about the tournament? Who will win MVP and if there are any surprise teams to watch out for?

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Well I haven't seen any threads on this so I thought I would start one. If Canada wins gold they will set a WJC record with most golds in a row. I believe this will be the toughest one to win out of the previous five. Canada is playing on home ice which is always an advantage for them. I believe there are three teams that have an excellent chance at winning; Sweden, Russia and Canada and the U.S. with an outside chance. I am really hoping Sweden wins this year and I will be cheering for them even though I am Canadian.

So does anyone else have predictions about the tournament? Who will win MVP and if there are any surprise teams to watch out for?
Why the hell are you cheering for Sweden?

Urgi

Dec 25, 2008
I think canada will win vs sweden in the final this year again, i have a feeling that if russia gets to the final they will win it.

I think Adam Larsson will surprise alot of people that havent seen him.

Aptur

Sep 13, 2009
I'll go out on a limb here and say that Adam Larsson will be one of the two defensemen who makes the team of the tournament. :nod:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Canada with the gold, Eberle with the MVP to go along with breaking Canada's WJC goal record.

Masochist Caniac

Because at some point you learn to love the pain
Apr 28, 2009
Toronto, CAN
I'm not completely sold on Allen or any of our other netminders, but I believe they'll out play Tokarski of last year. I mean, the kid played well near the end, but boy was he awful to start to tourny off. I still think Canada will win though, although Sweden put together a great squad even with some real notable omissions due to the NHL and Russia+Filatov scares me.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
I think this tournament may be the most interesting U20 in years. I don't think it's necessarily the most talented group of players like I've seen some others state, but I think there's a lot that's up in the air.

Canada may be missing a whole bunch of serious talent, but that's the norm for them. They have the depth to be the favorite every year. That's what they are again, no question.

Sweden certainly has thier most talented team in years and all the buzz around here certainly reflects that. However, as a follower of US teams over the years, I know talent and pre-tournament buzz doesn't always equal success. That said, Sweden is coming off two very successful tournaments with consecutive silvers. If anyone can upset Canada, I feel it's them. Keep in mind that this group of players came in fourth at the U18s a few years back.

Russia's roster doesn't impress me. The fact that they are missing a good number of thier top players for a number of reasons compounds that. However, Russia always seems to play well at this tournament. I wouldn't be surprised at all if a bunch of guys who received no hype before the tournament end up playing very strong and lead Russia to a medal.

This is the weakest US group in years. They have a good number of quality players but they just don't compare, talent wise, to recent US teams. My expectations are low but that means they're more likely to be exceeded. If they get a good showing from thier defense and goaltending (the latter being a serious weakness in the recent past), they may surprise and end up with a medal.

Finland, like Sweden, may have thier most talented roster in years. However, I think there's too much expected of younger players. Guys like Granlund, Rajala and Vatanen may be tournament stand outs but I don't think they can lead the Finns to the medals on thier own. If the older guys can surprise, things may go thier way.

The Czechs may not have any future NHL stars, but I think they've got good depth compared to the Finns. Thier best players are all '90s which I feel gives them an advantage. I don't expect the relegtion round to be a concern for them.

Slovakia is very interesting this year. I don't think they'll be competing for a medal, but after last years showing, it will be interesting to see if they can surprise again. The biggest question to me will be thier goaltending. If they do have a successful tournament, does anyone think that will be vindication for the HK Orange 20 team? I think so - though I don't think a poor showing should necessarily reflect poorly on it. Finally, I wouldn't be surprised to see Tatar lead the tourney in scoring. It might just come at the expense of the weaker teams in the relegation round.

The other three teams won't be a serious factor, as usual.

I expect Canada to win. After that, I expect Sweden, Russia or the US to compete for the consolation prizes. After that, I expect the Czechs, Finns and Slovaks in that order.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
I think this tournament may be the most interesting U20 in years. I don't think it's necessarily the most talented group of players like I've seen some others state, but I think there's a lot that's up in the air.

Canada may be missing a whole bunch of serious talent, but that's the norm for them. They have the depth to be the favorite every year. That's what they are again, no question.

Sweden certainly has thier most talented team in years and all the buzz around here certainly reflects that. However, as a follower of US teams over the years, I know talent and pre-tournament buzz doesn't always equal success. That said, Sweden is coming off two very successful tournaments with consecutive silvers. If anyone can upset Canada, I feel it's them. Keep in mind that this group of players came in fourth at the U18s a few years back.

Russia's roster doesn't impress me. The fact that they are missing a good number of thier top players for a number of reasons compounds that. However, Russia always seems to play well at this tournament. I wouldn't be surprised at all if a bunch of guys who received no hype before the tournament end up playing very strong and lead Russia to a medal.

This is the weakest US group in years. They have a good number of quality players but they just don't compare, talent wise, to recent US teams. My expectations are low but that means they're more likely to be exceeded. If they get a good showing from thier defense and goaltending (the latter being a serious weakness in the recent past), they may surprise and end up with a medal.

Finland, like Sweden, may have thier most talented roster in years. However, I think there's too much expected of younger players. Guys like Granlund, Rajala and Vatanen may be tournament stand outs but I don't think they can lead the Finns to the medals on thier own. If the older guys can surprise, things may go thier way.

The Czechs may not have any future NHL stars, but I think they've got good depth compared to the Finns. Thier best players are all '90s which I feel gives them an advantage. I don't expect the relegtion round to be a concern for them.

Slovakia is very interesting this year. I don't think they'll be competing for a medal, but after last years showing, it will be interesting to see if they can surprise again. The biggest question to me will be thier goaltending. If they do have a successful tournament, does anyone think that will be vindication for the HK Orange 20 team? I think so - though I don't think a poor showing should necessarily reflect poorly on it. Finally, I wouldn't be surprised to see Tatar lead the tourney in scoring. It might just come at the expense of the weaker teams in the relegation round.

The other three teams won't be a serious factor, as usual.

I expect Canada to win. After that, I expect Sweden, Russia or the US to compete for the consolation prizes. After that, I expect the Czechs, Finns and Slovaks in that order.

And have you checked out the groups at all? Your placing from 5-7 is impossible. In one group there is Sweden, Russia, Czechs, Finland and Austria. Two last teams will go to the relegation round and who will it be expect fro Austria? either the Czechs ot Finns. On the other hand in the other group you´ve got Canada, Slovakia, USA, Latvia and Switzerland, so one more team from this group will very likely finish in front of one of Czechs/Finns and it could be more since we never can now what will happen.

Last edited:

deanosaur

Feb 17, 2008
AB/MB
I like Sweden. Canada has won this tournament a lot and I find Canadians get cocky on this subject so I am cheering for Sweden and also they haven't won since 81'.

Cocky? because the last 4 gold medals we've won we weren't the huge tournament favorites? ok 5 years ago the dream team were the clear cut favorites we deserved to be cocky that year. I wouldn't call it cockiness right now.

VladNYC*

Canada will win. It is their tourney to lose. Their junior development system is second to none.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
It's Canada to lose as usual, but counting Russia out would be a big error. Last year we went five seconds to the final match despite an inferior roster, this year we won't have some top players, but being a bit in difficulty will play in our favor

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I think Sweden is going to take it this year. That team is ridiculously stacked at every position. The best thing going for them will be Markstrom and that great D. I'm scared to see how much better MPS has gotten in a year too. Larsson is a treat to watch.

I think Bryan Murray purposely did a huge favour for Canada by not letting Karlsson go (in exchange Cowen makes team Canada?:)).

Anyways Canada always has the best chance at winning this tournament but I think this will be the toughest test in quite some time.

SuicideKings15

Nov 3, 2009
London, ON
I'm not completely sold on Allen or any of our other netminders, but I believe they'll out play Tokarski of last year. I mean, the kid played well near the end, but boy was he awful to start to tourny off. I still think Canada will win though, although Sweden put together a great squad even with some real notable omissions due to the NHL and Russia+Filatov scares me.

Nice save here though, none the less.

http://watch.tsn.ca/featured/clip247001#clip247001

stug*

Easy win for Canada. They are so superior in WJC its just funny.
But lets hope Sweden can take the "second gold".

Oh and i have put 500 dollars on Canada as winners. Easy money :)

joe89

Apr 30, 2009

Oh and i have put 500 dollars on Canada as winners. Easy money :)

It's not like the last two years have been blow-outs. Easy win is a push this year.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
And have you checked out the groups at all? Your placing from 5-7 is impossible. In one group there is Sweden, Russia, Czechs, Finland and Austria. Two last teams will go to the relegation round and who will it be expect fro Austria? either the Czechs ot Finns. On the other hand in the other group you´ve got Canada, Slovakia, USA, Latvia and Switzerland, so one more team from this group will very likely finish in front of one of Czechs/Finns and it could be more since we never can now what will happen.

I was actually thinking of that when I woke up this morning. Glad you caught me on it. It's really more of a ranking of where I see the teams compared to each other than an acurate prediction of where they'll finish. I should have thought of that before I posted.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT

Look at their team last year. They were like three seconds away from going to the bronze medal game. I think this will be the tightest tournament in recent years.

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
I don't see any of these 4 countries having a huge advantage (other then Canada being at home) over each other.

Sweden, Russia, USA and Canada.

Sweden- is always strong is returning a solid group from last year.
Russia- this year has a load of talent unfortunately some haven't been released to play but they now play and NA style of game and aren't afraid to take the body.
USA- are finally putting together a team. John Carlson playing is huge that would like Doughty playing for Canada. I'm impressed with there goaltending this year it maybe the best they've ever had.
Canada- This team I think will be playing defensive hockey this year. They're not as gifted offensively like past years with high end talent like a Stamkos, Tavares, Hodgson type. Eberle is solid, Kozun, Hall but that's were it somewhat drops off. Kadri is a hit and miss depending on how he is going to play. There will need to be offensive from the defense if they're going to successful.

All 4 of the countries I think have a chance at gold.

Masochist Caniac

Because at some point you learn to love the pain
Apr 28, 2009
Toronto, CAN

Great save, I caught it on the CIS-CAN highlights. He breaks the cardinal rule of goaltending by putting his back to the play, but it didn't cost his team a goal so, can't complain. I'm surprised by him being cut thought. I thought he'd backup Allen for sure, but I guess it goes to show how close those 4 guys were. I hope a Canada-Sweden game will live up to the hype. After the incredible Can-USA and Can-Rus games, the gold medal game really fell short.

studley49

Oct 8, 2003
Flinton/Toronto, ON
Visit site
I really like the Swiss as a dark-horse in this tournament.

Their group-mates: Canada, Slovakia, USA, Latvia. Canada "should" win the group, no question, but after that all teams have question marks so the games vs. Latvia really come into play.

So, while I don't see the Swiss as a medal-contender I can easily see them finishing in that 4-6 range.

pouskin74*

2 main favorites are Canada and Sweden. Russia and USA just a step behind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad