GDT: [WJC] Latvia vs. Finland, 6pm EST 9/8/22

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Outdoor rinks? Relevant to hockey prowess in 1930.

Outdoor rinks I think are completely relevant to hockey strength and fostering a hockey culture in a society.

Younger kids get a chance to play shinny against older boys and adults. It’s where you can work on different shooting angles, etc.

Freezing your face and limbs off on an outdoor rink builds mental and physical fortitude. Learning the value of service work can happen on an ODR (shovelling the rink, keeping the fire going in the evening, help new comers learn about the sport, etc.).

Most importantly though, the outdoor rinks are where you just have fun and fall in love with the sport.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Tickets for these games are like 50 bucks!?

they were only 10 when I went in 2017. No wonder theres like 2 people there lol
Incompetence at its finest.

Tickets are supposed to be priced so that you just barely fill the arena, or get very close to it. If it would oversold, they're too cheap, if you leave tons of empty seats, it's overpriced. If there's like half a dozen people then it's a gross failure.

For some reason, overpricing the tickets is very common in these tournaments. Is it really ideal to have empty arenas? Stuff like parking, fan gear, food and drinks etc. should always make it ideal to fill the arena.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Outdoor rinks I think are completely relevant to hockey strength and fostering a hockey culture in a society.

Younger kids get a chance to play shinny against older boys and adults. It’s where you can work on different shooting angles, etc.

Freezing your face and limbs off on an outdoor rink builds mental and physical fortitude.

Most importantly though, the outdoor rinks are where you just have fun and fall in love with the sport.
You're conflating the romance of the outdoor rink, which I totally appreciate, and its value in producing skilled hockey players.

I doubt NHL players from the unrivaled hockey factory of the GTA acquired any meaningful portion of their hockey skills on outdoor rinks. I concede there are more outdoor rinks in the area than I expected.

1660091872806.png

• Haha
Reactions: gritdash60

ijuka

May 14, 2016
So I had as my benchmark, if Finland wins 6-0 or better, it's a good game. Finland won 6-1, so it's not quite ideal but it's alright.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
You're conflating the romance of the outdoor rink, which I totally appreciate, and its value in producing skilled hockey players.

I doubt NHL players from the unrivaled hockey factory of the GTA acquired any meaningful portion of their hockey skills on outdoor rinks. I concede there are more outdoor rinks in the area than I expected.

View attachment 576025

Toronto also doesn’t get the same type of cold weather that Western Canada and Finland do. It’s nowhere near as cold.

Outdoor rinks are a big part of the culture in Western Canada particularly on the prairie provinces (Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba) and parts of interior mainland British Columbia. It’s the same for Finland, the climate is conducive to that type of love of outdor hockey.

For Toronto, the GTA’s greatest advantage for kids is the quality and quantity of competition packed in a small geographic area. There are so many teams in the GTA that travel for competitive games is minimal. Whereas, if you’re from say Regina to play the best competition you’ll have to play teams from Saskatoon, Calgary, Edmonton, Kelowna, etc.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Finns looked decent against a team they probably weren't really "up" to play against, and Latvia gave a good account of themselves.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00