GDT: WJC - Finland vs Germany, Dec 27, 2023

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Finland lacking or what happened? I obviously missed the game but an upset one has to assume

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Not gonna lie, as a Canadian fan I always dread drawing Finland in the Finals. Lately, it seldom seems to work out too well for 🇨🇦.

I watched the entire Finland-Canada game, and I thought the play was much closer than the score.

I thought three things changed the course of that game:

First, if two plays ended differently it would have been a 1-1 tie looking for a tiebreaker -- Rosseau's amazing glove-stop off the Finnish rush when Canada's defence broke down, and the replay confirming Celebrini's goal after everyone in the arena had lost sight of the puck.

Second, I thought Canada was fortunate to say the least not to draw a few more hooking and holding penalties on marginal plays that could easily have gone that way throughout the game.

Third, it's a lot easier to protect a lead and harder to come back from behind. Take away the 6-on-5 for Finland and the two empty-netters for Canada, and it's a pretty close result.

Finland is a much better team than its record shows. If their loss to Germany focuses their attention then I rather hope Canada doesn't have to play them again in an elimination game somewhere along the way.

There are no easy games against Finland Germany or any other team in this tourney.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jason80

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I'm a bit late to the party but as a German
giphy.gif

Finally beating Finland at the world juniors and having a shot to get to the knockout stages.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Not gonna lie, as a Canadian fan I always dread drawing Finland in the Finals. Lately, it seldom seems to work out too well for 🇨🇦.

I watched the entire Finland-Canada game, and I thought the play was much closer than the score.

I thought three things changed the course of that game:

First, if two plays ended differently it would have been a 1-1 tie looking force a tiebreaker -- Rosseau's amazing glove-stop off the Finnish rush when Canada's defence broke down, and the replay confirming Celebrini's goal after everyone in the arena had lost sight of the puck.

Second, I thought Canada was fortunate to say the least not to draw a few more hooking and holding penalties on marginal plays that could easily have gone that way throughout the game.

Third, it's a lot easier to protect a lead and harder to come back from behind. Take away the 6-on-5 for Finland and the two empty-netters for Canada, and it's a pretty close result.

Finland is a much better team than its record shows. If their loss to Germany focuses their attention then I rather hope Canada doesn't have to play them again in an elimination game somewhere along the way.

There are no easy games against Finland Germany or any other team in this tourney.
The times are over! Canada will have a very easy time with Finland. Once Upon a time! In junior hockey there are only the top 3 (not including Russia). CAN, US and SWE. That was it!

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Not the result I was expecting. :DD

I still got a feeling Finland will beat Latvia, and Latvia will beat Germany while all three will lose against Sweden and Canada.

Reactions: Dingo

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
Oiva Keskinen not being on the ice in the last 2minutes when its 6v4 is a joke. Hämeenaho, Nyman, Helenius have combined for a 0+1 this far. Keskinen has cemented himself in the powerplay of the best team in the finnish Liiga, playing both 1st and 2nd unit.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Keskinen has cemented himself in the powerplay of the best team in the finnish Liiga, playing both 1st and 2nd unit.
And yet he combined for 0+0 so far.. Maybe he should step up and until then, no need to act like rearanging deck chairs on the Titanic could have saved it.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I left this game thinking the Germans didn't play a perfect game and still won. Way too many bobbles with the puck on D, too many turnovers ... Players didn't seem to expect Dietl to make saves but he made some exceptional quick pad and blocker saves. Couple softies. Phillip Sinn left way too much meat on the bone for a vet d. missed numerous clearing attempts... bobbled pucks.

I love how calm Abstreiter is and they got some great performances up front. Gritty, aggressive, plays getting made and pucks getting by Kokko... who was not at his best on back to backs..

A very interesting result.. see if Germany can follow it up. Is Simon Wolf hurt?

Giguere27

Feb 4, 2006
Bavaria
I left this game thinking the Germans didn't play a perfect game and still won. Way too many bobbles with the puck on D, too many turnovers ... Players didn't seem to expect Dietl to make saves but he made some exceptional quick pad and blocker saves. Couple softies. Phillip Sinn left way too much meat on the bone for a vet d. missed numerous clearing attempts... bobbled pucks.

I love how calm Abstreiter is and they got some great performances up front. Gritty, aggressive, plays getting made and pucks getting by Kokko... who was not at his best on back to backs..

A very interesting result.. see if Germany can follow it up. Is Simon Wolf hurt?

Wolf is hurt and has already left the team. Nico Pertuch will be the 3rd goalie.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad