GDT: WJC: Czech Republic Vs Canada | 26th December @ 5:00PM MT

swissdude

May 18, 2019
The weirdest thing to me is the Czechs want to be called Czechia but their jerseys clearly say Czech Republic. It's silly.lol Definitely a beaut country to visit!
the czeck republic thing on the jerseys caught my eye too lol, to be honest i have to admit that you guys were always the czecks for me even in the CSSR days (which was a bit unfair to the slovaks). is the whole czechia thing something brought up by the federation/government, what is the vernacular among the population anyway? to me the whole thing seems a little dangerous it won't be long before some might confuse you with chechnya

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Have to wonder if the Covid layoff messed with Wright's development. He hasn't looked like the dominating player pre covid and that goes for this season with Kingston also.

Have to think he may have been better served playing in Europe for that year and a half or so.

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
Shane Wright needs to pick things up big time if he wants to continue to center a top 2 line. He was absolutely invisible out there tonight. What is the teams back up plan if he can't get things done? I guess they could move Bedard or Perfetti to center and advance a winger like Guenther.
Guenther has been playing a lot of center this year in the WHL.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
the czeck republic thing on the jerseys caught my eye too lol, to be honest i have to admit that you guys were always the czecks for me even in the CSSR days (which was a bit unfair to the slovaks). is the whole czechia thing something brought up by the federation/government, what is the vernacular among the population anyway? to me the whole thing seems a little dangerous it won't be long before some might confuse you with chechnya
I don't know a single Czech that uses it. It's always been an option and the word itself is quite old. Czechs also have a few regions and it seems to not include all of them. Eg. Svozil is from Brno and that is Morava. While Jiricek is from Plsen which is Bohemia (Czech). Agree about the Slovak part in the past, that was unfair to them. They got the short stick a few times but they did get beautiful mountains! Starting them in the C division was brutal though. Watching the retired Stastny's beating the shit out of the C division to make the Olympics was so wrong. Then they got to the Olympics but couldn't play all their players in important games because of loopholes and such.

The Chechnya thing is funny because they felt 'Republic' made them sound like a third world country yet now Rey and Gord are calling us Chechnya by accident. Jeff ONeail called us Chechnians last night. In fact, I hope the TSN guys keep butchering our name till the government changes it back.lol

As a weird note I got a brand new soccer jersey from Santa and it says Czech Republic too.haha

I think, in the last 5 years, society has really come around to making sure everyone says names properly. I'm all for it but this isn't that. Please call us Czechs! Not a single Czech will be offended. Not even the most 'woke' amongst us. Our 'Karens' won't even be upset.haha

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
I don't know a single Czech that uses it. It's always been an option and the word itself is quite old. Czechs also have a few regions and it seems to not include all of them. Eg. Svozil is from Brno and that is Morava. While Jiricek is from Plsen which is Bohemia (Czech). Agree about the Slovak part in the past, that was unfair to them. They got the short stick a few times but they did get beautiful mountains! Starting them in the C division was brutal though. Watching the retired Stastny's beating the shit out of the C division to make the Olympics was so wrong. Then they got to the Olympics but couldn't play all their players in important games because of loopholes and such.

The Chechnya thing is funny because they felt 'Republic' made them sound like a third world country yet now Rey and Gord are calling us Chechnya by accident. Jeff ONeail called us Chechnians last night. In fact, I hope the TSN guys keep butchering our name till the government changes it back.lol

As a weird note I got a brand new soccer jersey from Santa and it says Czech Republic too.haha

I think, in the last 5 years, society has really come around to making sure everyone says names properly. I'm all for it but this isn't that. Please call us Czechs! Not a single Czech will be offended. Not even the most 'woke' amongst us. Our 'Karens' won't even be upset.haha
I played Junior with a guy from CZ and he just called it “Czech” in English, to me that sounds a lot better

Reactions: Czechboy

swissdude

May 18, 2019

well I stay with czechs then, it's anyway far more important to know where a good pilsener comes from and that a budweiser has nothing to do with anheuser-busch lol

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
well I stay with czechs then, it's anyway far more important to know where a good pilsener comes from and that a budweiser has nothing to do with anheuser-busch lol
upload_2021-12-27_13-1-30.png

upload_2021-12-27_13-1-59.png

I have had a few Czechs tell me that it is a myth that Plsen comes from Plsner. Apparantly they stole it from a German and brought it there or something like that. I have never looked into it further though because I like the we are associated with Plsner style beers!

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Refs really liked Canada i guess. A lot of really embarrasingly bad call Sourdif should have gotten 5, Perfetti should have been called before Canadas 2-3 goal. Then sure, the Czech lost their cool a bit but still. With better refereeing this game might have gone another way. Good entertainment though!

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
I really liked Sweden, I think that team has a lot of potential. It's not a powerhouse team by any means but I think they are pretty solid all around.

They're definitely solid, I just didn't think they looked outstanding in that particular game.

Everybody has looked very beatable so far, we'll see how things look at the end of the week.

Last edited:

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
View attachment 493700

View attachment 493701

I have had a few Czechs tell me that it is a myth that Plsen comes from Plsner. Apparantly they stole it from a German and brought it there or something like that. I have never looked into it further though because I like the we are associated with Plsner style beers!
You are exactly correct as I’ve been told by my in-laws are from Prague.:thumbu:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Pilsner was created by a German speaking brewer who worked for the brewery in Pilsen.

That's Czech enough!

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Didn't see the game. What happened and who's involved?

Justin Sourdif with a dirty headshot on a Czech player outside the play. Refs gave only 2min. Wonder how Canada and US always get away with shit in the WJC? It`s like the referees are scared to give out penalties. Now there was a Finnish&German tandem on the ice without balls.

Last edited:

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Justin Sourdif with a dirty headshot on a Czech player outside the play. Refs gave only 2min. Wonder how Canada and US always get away with shit in the WJC? It`s like the referees are scared to give out penalties. Now there was a Finnish&German tandem on the ice without balls.

Holy shit! He's not even close to the play! What in the world is that even. Damn. 2 mins???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad