Prospect Info: WJC 2022: The Remix Edition

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Sure it is. This ain’t 1990 anymore where guys take the off-season off and show up in September to get back into shape. The expectation is to be in shape before arriving to camp.
Camp is still like a month away for the guys aiming for NHL though. Offseason training is different than in-season training. Most players will not be in perfect gameshape in august/september and shouldn't be either.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Sure it is. This ain’t 1990 anymore where guys take the off-season off and show up in September to get back into shape. The expectation is to be in shape before arriving to camp.
They work out differently during the off season. They have to gain back the muscle loss from the season before. Young players often use the off season to get stronger. You can easily tell at every start of every season that the players are not up to speed. It's like this every year.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

They aren't machines. They are humans who take a little time off in the offseason to recharge. Ridiculous to expect anyone to be full tilt 100% of the time. This tournament is played when half the players haven't played since March, April, May and have already played a long season with lots of bumps and bruises with short turn around to then be back in game shape on a dime. There is a reason there aren't many summer tournaments for hockey and players not being at full tilt is one of them.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Nothing written in stone yet obviously but results not looking too great for this amateur scouting staff so far
For sure.
1661184181417.png

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Can Seider be the first back-to-back Calder winner?
Makes one wonder, is there a scenario where a guy could win based on a 25 game season and then win the following year?

It'd almost have to be a goalie that has a bonkers 20-25 games with crazy stats (and no real standout skaters) and then does it again for a full season. Like Ned finished 3rd in '01 and technically was eligible again this past season.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Makes one wonder, is there a scenario where a guy could win based on a 25 game season and then win the following year?

It'd almost have to be a goalie that has a bonkers 20-25 games with crazy stats (and no real standout skaters) and then does it again for a full season. Like Ned finished 3rd in '01 and technically was eligible again this past season.

Michael Bunting is gonna win it next year.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Wallstedt Outplays Cossa; Should Red Wings Be Worrying?

Wallstedt was named top netminder and to the all-tournament team at the world juniors. He was posting a .940 save percentage and 16.2 goals-against average. Wallstedt clearly stood out as Sweden’s most important player.

“He is such a great leader,” Swedish coach Tomas Monten told Expressen.se. “If you could put a “C” on a goalkeeper, I would have done it. Minnesota has something good to work with now.”

Dissection of Swedish World Junior Shortcomings Very Red Wings Centric

“I have not been satisfied with how I played in any of the matches,” Edvinsson told hockeysverige.se.

Reactions: Realgud

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Overall, not a great showing by the Red Wings prospects, even if some of the factors were outside their control.

Mazur had a great showing, Sebrango and Savage looked good, but no one really did anything that surprised me in a good way. Meanwhile, Niederbach and Viro... meh. Cossa.... well that's been covered. Ed... been covered. Bednar bombed. Wallinder, no matter how much I try to like him, did nothing to keep me from cringing anytime he was defending or found himself with the puck below the dots.

Ed, Mazur, and Sebrango are still on an NHL track for me. Some hope for Savage. Cossa remains a mystery. The rest I remain pretty low on.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Overall, not a great showing by the Red Wings prospects, even if some of the factors were outside their control.

Mazur had a great showing, Sebrango and Savage looked good, but no one really did anything that surprised me in a good way. Meanwhile, Niederbach and Viro... meh. Cossa.... well that's been covered. Ed... been covered. Bednar bombed. Wallinder, no matter how much I try to like him, did nothing to keep me from cringing anytime he was defending or found himself with the puck below the dots.

Ed, Mazur, and Sebrango are still on an NHL track for me. Some hope for Savage. Cossa remains a mystery. The rest I remain pretty low on.

The story was pretty similar for the 2021 WJC though.

Sweden U20 at eliteprospects.com

That team was even better than this year's and couldn't get to a medal round. Playing Alnefelt when Wallstedt was clearly superior in every aspect. Watching Albert Johansson only skating it to his own blueline and chipping it rather than passing. Tobias Bjornfot being voted team MVP by the coaching staff when he was probably their worst defenseman. Albin Sundsvik and Arvid Costmar providing Christopher Ehn level offense at center in the top 6. Lines not being shuffled until it was too late despite Holtz playing like trash.

The Swedish U20 team has needed new coaching since 2019 but they've kept riding the Monten train to mediocrity. It's not just Detroit's prospects that played worse than usual under Monten.

Reactions: jaster

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
You're spicy like hot salsa from a Mexican joint. And I don't mean Taco Bell. I mean the places in the city where everyone working is actually Mexican.
Coincidentally, I think Edvinsson ate from the Taco Bell and that's what his issue was. That or gas station sushi.

• Haha
Reactions: bedtime20

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Sorry if I look like an idiot but it was a serious question. I've never seen him play, dunno anything about him, but thought I heard that he won gold and had a high safe percentage. Am I remembering wrong? Or is there something else I completely missed?

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Sorry if I look like an idiot but it was a serious question. I've never seen him play, dunno anything about him, but thought I heard that he won gold and had a high safe percentage. Am I remembering wrong? Or is there something else I completely missed?
Apologies, I thought you were kidding with the question.

While you are technically correct that he won gold with a good save %, Cossa only played in Canada's first game of the tournament, against Latvia (he made some good saves, but... it was still just Latvia). Then he rode the bench for the rest of the tournament. The complaint for many is that Cossa didn't prove himself good enough to be the starter for Canada. Meanwhile, Wallstedt was named the best goalie of the tournament.

Reactions: TheOtherOne

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes