Prospect Info: WJC 2022 part 2: Picking Back Up In August

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Sedgwick presumably stayed because he didn't get any other offers. Wasn't he a recent hire by Anaheim? I assumed Madden expected to be the next GM when he talked Bouchard into becoming their AHL coach. Of course he might just have been following the GM's orders.

While true Sedgwick probably didn't have teams lining up for him, he was still under contract with the Habs. And it's the same thing with Madden Jr. He is under contract with the Ducks. So if Anaheim wants to keep him, they keep him. In fact, Montreal asked Anaheim for permission to interview Madden Jr., but the Ducks didn't grant it. So they preferred to either promote him to GM internally or keep him in his current position.

As for being a recent hire for Anaheim, Madden Jr. has been their Director of Amateur Scouting since 2008. In 2020, his contract was up. But instead of having him leave and pursue other opportunities, he was promoted to Assistant GM. He wasn't a recent hire. He was recently promoted.

Reactions: DAChampion

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Gallagher had 6 points in 6 games, but the correct comparison there is to how Roy does in the next WJC.

Good call there. Gallagher was amazing in that game against Russia where Canada just about pulled a crazy comeback.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Oh boy...This is reminding me of Wright's D-1 season
You may be right. I first had concerns about Wright’s upside watching him at the U18. His glossy statistics didn’t match his on ice presence. He didn’t drive the play. Similarly, I was not impressed with Bedard’s play at the U18 where Fantilli was far more impactful and impressive. I would agree, Bedard’s expected dominance at the WJC was also missing. I will repeat my early warning: Beware of the consensus. It often acts as a trap for the unwary.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
We never knew what Madden Jr.'s contract status was. We all assumed he might become available only because of the change in management in Anaheim. And sometimes, guys come in and start bringing in their own people. So we hoped maybe Madden Jr. would be one of those Verbeek would get rid of. But that was a pipe dream of ours because Verbeek wouldn't get rid of the guy in charge of scouting and selecting all the young stars on the Ducks.

But it was never reported if his contract was up.
If his contract had expired this summer, then we would have known that Madden Jr. had chosen to recommit.

However, it’s also true that most teams will not stand in the way of a promotion by one of their executives even if they are still under contract. If the Habs had showed interest in Madden Jr. in a AGM capacity, then conceivably, Madden Jr. would have been on board and you would have been updating the Habs hockey ops thread by now.

I really don’t know what’s going on with senior positions. Habs didn’t even announce smaller fish, like Daniel Doré.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Don't think so, in a 3 v 3, taking the screen shot is highly advisable (when you have no support) - but you have to hit the net (he did).

It's not when it's a low percentage shot. It's 3 on 3, there's plenty of space to pass the puck back to his own zone.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Considering the hype behind Connor Bedard I find his performance underwhelming. It seems like he was used less as the tournament went on.
I get it but you also have to consider that there will be a WJC in a few months that Bedard will be apart of and be showcased in whereas the one that just happened is probably the last time players like McTavish and johnson and gonna be there so it's more appropriate to utilize such over agers who are on there last run more than someone who hasnt even entered his draft year. Dude still got his looks tho, seemed like the only gripe was Bedard being placed at bumper on PP and Cameron probably wanting to balance his lines out more with him going to the third line

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
You may be right. I first had concerns about Wright’s upside watching him at the U18. His glossy statistics didn’t match his on ice presence. He didn’t drive the play. Similarly, I was not impressed with Bedard’s play at the U18 where Fantilli was far more impactful and impressive. I would agree, Bedard’s expected dominance at the WJC was also missing. I will repeat my early warning: Beware of the consensus. It often acts as a trap for the unwary.
Interesting post, but too early to tell about Wright vs Slaf not to mention Bedard vs Fantilli.

Reactions: ChesterNimitz

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
It's not when it's a low percentage shot. It's 3 on 3, there's plenty of space to pass the puck back to his own zone.

It's fine to give the puck away for a shot that doesn't bring defensive risk. In one of those shots you are talking about Bedard looked at the bench and they were changing, there was no pass behind.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Interesting post, but too early to tell about Wright vs Slaf not to mention Bedard vs Fantilli.
It’s a worrisome indicator. Two tournaments in succession against high level competition where a supposedly generational player failed to display his dominance. The problem with any applicable consensus is that those seeking confirmation will always find excuses when the objective evidence tends to undermine the accepted consensus. In Bedard’s case you can already hear the excuses: he’s too young: he was improperly used; etc. Bottom line, at least to this observer, he has failed the eye test in two consecutive events. Let’s see how he plays in December. If he once again fails to show dominance, Bedard’s grip on 1OA may well be irreversibly loosened.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
It’s a worrisome indicator. Two tournaments in succession against high level competition where a supposedly generational player failed to display his dominance. The problem with any applicable consensus is that those seeking confirmation will always find excuses when the objective evidence tends to undermine the accepted consensus. In Bedard’s case you can already hear the excuses: he’s too young: he was improperly used; etc. Bottom line, at least to this observer, he has failed the eye test in two consecutive events. Let’s see how he plays in December. If he once again fails to show dominance, Bedard’s grip on 1OA may well be irreversibly loosened.
Maybe so, but the 2023 draft, just like the 2022 draft, is not really the finish line. If Bedard slips, I would view that as an opportunity, just like Seattle was grateful for Wright at 4 recently.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
To be fair, Bedard just turned 17 not that long ago. I feel like the tournament during the New Year when he isn’t coming in cold we will see a lot more from him. The timing of this tournament was just strange compared to the ones of the past.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
He has played well in every tournament up to this WJC and he put up 8 points in 7 games despite playing for an imbecile coach. Caufield was not overly impressive in the '21 WJC because his coach was also an imbecile. Only an idiot uses his best sniper, and one of his smaller players, as a net front presence.

Reactions: HabsCowboysOwn

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He was literally amazing at the u18s? He shares the single best tournament production with none other than Mcdavid???

Shane Wright had 14 points in 5 games too? How is that worrisome ? Jesus.

Reactions: Sagikev

Tutu to

Jan 19, 2013
Toronto
How many 16 year olds have ever made team Canada? And amongst those which ones have looked better than Bedard ?

Wright who is 1.5 years old than Bedard looked significantly behind him in December.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
While Bedard showed some areas to improve, he still was pretty noticeable offensively, so there is nothing alarming to me, I will be worried if he doesnt show some improvement in those areas through the year, but just getting stronger physically will help him alot.

Reactions: Sagikev and badfish

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad