Speculation: With the third pick in the 2024 NHL draft the Anaheim Ducks select...(Plus other Draft talk)

Who do the Ducks take at pick 3?

• Ivan Demidov

Votes: 26 19.3%
  • Anton Silayev

Votes: 17 12.6%
  • Artyom Levshunov

Votes: 72 53.3%
  • Cayden Lindstrom

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • Sam Dickinson

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zeev Buium

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Carter Yakemchuk

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I've been pretty critical of a couple of PV's draft picks but the playoffs show why you build a big physical team. I would be tempted to draft Silayev even if he never scores more than 20 points in a season. He's going to be a playoff monster.
While there isn't as much talk about his offensive upside, I don't remember Lindholm having that much offensive upside either when he was drafted, even he exceeded what I expected out of him.
So maybe Silayev will be that 40 point Dman who plays very physical, he doesn't need to be as good of a playmaker as the other Ducks Dmen, teams will respect his shot and not think he'll pass it every time.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

airforceones25

Jun 16, 2009
California
Cliff notes version for those of us who don’t have a subscription?
An easy way around many paywall articles is using the reader tab on a browser.

That said just saying Michkov had the benefit of being seen on North American television. MVP of 2021 U18 World Champs. etc... Silayev didn't have that benefit because of the Ukraine invasion and subsequent ban of IIHF competition. Out of site, out of mind.

One scouting director - could be next Victor Hedman.... "Silayev is no longer a secret. The debate is now whether he’s a top-five pick or the No. 2 pick in this year’s draft. Some even think higher of the player."

Another scout - I go back and forth between him and Celebrini daily.

Several evaluators say if he was in North America he would be #1 overall conversation.

“He is a killer,” said one NHL executive. “He regularly pushed around grown men as a 17-year-old.”

“He is a better skater than Victor Hedman,” said Torpedo’s head coach, Hockey Hall of Famer Igor Larionov.

Silayev has secured his visa for June and discussed his plans to come to development camp for whichever NHL team drafts him. He has a Hall of Fame and three-time Stanley Cup champion coach in Larionov. Larionov is regularly in contact with NHL personnel and says he’s had conversations with NHL GMs about Silayev.

“In my years doing this I’ve never seen a player like him,” said one NHL scout who started working shortly after the Hedman draft.

Last edited:

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Cliff notes version for those of us who don’t have a subscription?
Basic shit we have already heard. The back and forth with Celebrini doesnt mean shit if it was back in September. They dont say when.

“He could be Victor Hedman,” said one scouting director to The Athletic in September.

“I go back and forth on him and Macklin Celebrini a lot,” said one scouting director, expressing a minority opinion but not one that is isolated in the scouting community. “I wake up every morning with a new answer.”

Several evaluators I’ve talked to during the season felt that if he were in North America like Artyom Levshunov, Silayev would have been in the No. 1 overall conversation.

The one thing that I loved to see:
In Michkov’s draft season, there was a bit of a cloud of mystery around him. Some NHL teams had difficulties getting interviews with him until late in the process. SKA St. Petersburg representatives wouldn’t comment on the rumors swirling around him. Michkov’s representative never replied to any correspondence from The Athletic.

Silayev has been the opposite. He’s had plenty of interviews with NHL teams already. Within an hour of making first contact with his agent, I was on a phone interview with Silayev. Silayev has secured his visa for June and discussed his plans to come to development camp for whichever NHL team drafts him.

LeBrun is a Clown

Sep 19, 2018
Silayev having “Elite” skating is a f***ing stretch. Actually it’s just horse shit.
Have you ever watched him play? since he’s elite in transition and off the rush. hes rangy as hell, not even considering his size

Silayev has a very fluid skating technique. What shocks the me the most is how light he is on his feet.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

LeBrun is a Clown

Sep 19, 2018

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
Very possible but I think Chicago probably has a higher priority on giving Bedard some offensive help.
Yeah I can’t see Chicago passing up Demidov, they can deal with their lack of size upfront later. You just can’t pass on having a dual threat that potent. I think we’ll have the pick of the litter on the defensive side, and with Maddens track record I think that’s a good spot to be.

Reactions: LeBrun is a Clown

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Yeah I can’t see Chicago passing up Demidov, they can deal with their lack of size upfront later. You just can’t pass on having a dual threat that potent. I think we’ll have the pick of the litter on the defensive side, and with Maddens track record I think that’s a good spot to be.
The other advantage that any team will have in drafting Demidov is that he'll be able to come over in the 25-26 season wheras Silayev would be 26-27. I think that might influence the Hawks as well. Finally, Chicago does have a lot of size on D in their system including Vlasic who's already a top 4 guy.
It just seems like Demidov to Chicago and Silayev to Anaheim is a perfect fit for both teams.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I was expecting more substance as to why Silayev is considered a #2 pick, bypassing Demidov, or why he's in the conversation with Celebrini. Feels like a fluff piece of platitudes based around his size as a 17-year old.
Ya, not exactly a scouting report. And using quotes from September is pretty trash. Other then the reports about him taking calls from NHL teams it's pretty much clickbait.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
THN/Ducks has a running theme by Patrick Present on four possibilities for the Ducks at #3. So far, he's done two: Demidov and Lindstrom. Plus side is "access is freeeeeeee."

Demidov

Lindstrom
https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/anahe...heim-ducks-2024-draft-target-cayden-lindstrom

From the article is Lindstrom's EP score card.

Lindstrom, Cayden (EP card rating).png

I guess Lindstrom's injury has taken his ranking down, but his score card says he should be in the conversation for #2 overall.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
THN/Ducks has a running theme by Patrick Present on four possibilities for the Ducks at #3. So far, he's done two: Demidov and Lindstrom. Plus side is "access is freeeeeeee."

Demidov

Lindstrom
https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/anahe...heim-ducks-2024-draft-target-cayden-lindstrom

From the article is Lindstrom's EP score card.

View attachment 869974

I guess Lindstrom's injury has taken his ranking down, but his score card says he should be in the conversation for #2 overall.
Health permitting, He could end up in Chicago.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
New scouting report on Levshunov

Lev would be considered a late bloomer, coming from Belarus U18 two years ago. The video scout denotes that Lev would/could improve in the next couple of years. I believe that's why so many mocks have Lev rated so highly is because of where he will be in the future. Yet, I think the scout is a little tainted...

What I don't understand is the insertion of David Reinbacher and the word "absurd". Kinds reminds me of the movie "Hitch" where Hitch is at an affluent party and antagonist characters critiquing with the word, "dissss-gus-ting". heh Could have simply said they're similar in quickly flipping the puck from defense to offense, but that's where the similarity ends. It's absurd to put Lev in the same atmosphere as Montreal's David Reinbacher was the expression coming through.

This scout identifies mistakes from doing fancy moves as a bad thing while EP's David St. Louis identifies them as a great thing. St. Louis said it's a way to identify creativity and the willingness to try them. One instance is that the scout saying Lev doesn't like taking hits as evidence of lack of compete, but the video shows Lev in the right corner board of the D-zone looking left to see an opposing forward waiting, an opposing forward rushing right behind him, and a teammate behind the rushing, opposing forward. Lev could have eaten the puck and taken then hit, but Lev opted to try to back chip the puck to his teammate as the fancy option. It didn't work out that well for Lev's back chip.

Speaking of back chip/pass, he does like doing blind back passes. He needs to cut that down, but that bad trait is very Duck-esque.

Identifying flaws in prospects is helpful to see underlying things. I like this scout's breakdown of Buium's flaws because he shows it specifically (using serpentine skating to mask lack of top end staking, carrying the puck in the Ozone round and round with no end game like our own Lundy, etc... ) and can connect why Buium's scoring was high b/c he's on a stacked team. Yet, in Lev's breakdown, the scout cannot compute how Lev scored so high this year - even though he identified at the start of his video. Lev's economical offensive (simple) game, his ability to get the shot off quickly, his propensity to get the puck to the net with traffic, and takes lots of shots leads to many rebound opportunities for his teammates.

This missed view is akin to EP's head scout Mitch Brown comparing Fantilli and Carlsson. Looking at their own EP score card, Carlsson is the superior player, especially in transition. Brown was just too hooked on the visceral play of Fantilli on the ice that he never considered Carlsson to be on the same level with Fantilli. I think the insertion of Reinbacher into Lev's scouting video had the same reaction.

Fantilliz, z score (EP).png

Carlsson, z score (EP).png

The lack of compete differs from everyone else's evaluation that cite Lev's got high compete level. I'm not completely sure about the slow backchecking because there are factors we're not seeing such as how long has Lev been on the ice. In a couple of clips the scout shows, Lev is pinching down low and battling in front of the net or behind the net. That would mean F3 needs to fall back to the blue line. If F3 doesn't fall back to the blue line, then there's odd man chances. We've seen this all too often in the past couple of seasons in Anaheim. If Lev's compete was that bad, then his stock would be dropping a lot.

Lev is a developing raw product. It's because his raw floor is so high due to the big jump in development between his USHL to the NCAA seasons that has his rank in the top 2-5. Teams will be banking on his projection into the future. This scouting video is a good video because of the flaw identified so you know what your team is getting itself into.

Reactions: Trojans86

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Lev would be considered a late bloomer, coming from Belarus U18 two years ago. The video scout denotes that Lev would/could improve in the next couple of years. I believe that's why so many mocks have Lev rated so highly is because of where he will be in the future. Yet, I think the scout is a little tainted...

What I don't understand is the insertion of David Reinbacher and the word "absurd". Kinds reminds me of the movie "Hitch" where Hitch is at an affluent party and antagonist characters critiquing with the word, "dissss-gus-ting". heh Could have simply said they're similar in quickly flipping the puck from defense to offense, but that's where the similarity ends. It's absurd to put Lev in the same atmosphere as Montreal's David Reinbacher was the expression coming through.

This scout identifies mistakes from doing fancy moves as a bad thing while EP's David St. Louis identifies them as a great thing. St. Louis said it's a way to identify creativity and the willingness to try them. One instance is that the scout saying Lev doesn't like taking hits as evidence of lack of compete, but the video shows Lev in the right corner board of the D-zone looking left to see an opposing forward waiting, an opposing forward rushing right behind him, and a teammate behind the rushing, opposing forward. Lev could have eaten the puck and taken then hit, but Lev opted to try to back chip the puck to his teammate as the fancy option. It didn't work out that well for Lev's back chip.

Speaking of back chip/pass, he does like doing blind back passes. He needs to cut that down, but that bad trait is very Duck-esque.

Identifying flaws in prospects is helpful to see underlying things. I like this scout's breakdown of Buium's flaws because he shows it specifically (using serpentine skating to mask lack of top end staking, carrying the puck in the Ozone round and round with no end game like our own Lundy, etc... ) and can connect why Buium's scoring was high b/c he's on a stacked team. Yet, in Lev's breakdown, the scout cannot compute how Lev scored so high this year - even though he identified at the start of his video. Lev's economical offensive (simple) game, his ability to get the shot off quickly, his propensity to get the puck to the net with traffic, and takes lots of shots leads to many rebound opportunities for his teammates.

This missed view is akin to EP's head scout Mitch Brown comparing Fantilli and Carlsson. Looking at their own EP score card, Carlsson is the superior player, especially in transition. Brown was just too hooked on the visceral play of Fantilli on the ice that he never considered Carlsson to be on the same level with Fantilli. I think the insertion of Reinbacher into Lev's scouting video had the same reaction.

View attachment 870017

View attachment 870018

The lack of compete differs from everyone else's evaluation that cite Lev's got high compete level. I'm not completely sure about the slow backchecking because there are factors we're not seeing such as how long has Lev been on the ice. In a couple of clips the scout shows, Lev is pinching down low and battling in front of the net or behind the net. That would mean F3 needs to fall back to the blue line. If F3 doesn't fall back to the blue line, then there's odd man chances. We've seen this all too often in the past couple of seasons in Anaheim. If Lev's compete was that bad, then his stock would be dropping a lot.

Lev is a developing raw product. It's because his raw floor is so high due to the big jump in development between his USHL to the NCAA seasons that has his rank in the top 2-5. Teams will be banking on his projection into the future. This scouting video is a good video because of the flaw identified so you know what your team is getting itself into.
I don't agree with every report I've seen from this scout over the past couple of years but he did have Mintyukov very high in 2022 and Carlsson 2nd last year.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I don't agree with every report I've seen from this scout over the past couple of years but he did have Mintyukov very high in 2022 and Carlsson 2nd last year.

I didn't watch this guy last year, but I had Carlsson ahead of Fantilli.

In 2022, at 10th overall, I projected that we'd have a chance between three defensemen in Korchinski, Mateychuk, and Mintyukov. I dunno if 10th overall was high. Between those three, I placed Minty above the other two.

In 2021, I had McTavish at #3 overall.

Sure feels nice after sleeping in a Holiday Inn. We don't have to wholly agree with a report, but it's always great getting more and more info. That means we all get to talk about more stuff b/c our season ended already.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I didn't watch this guy last year, but I had Carlsson ahead of Fantilli.

In 2022, at 10th overall, I projected that we'd have a chance between three defensemen in Korchinski, Mateychuk, and Mintyukov. I dunno if 10th overall was high. Between those three, I placed Minty above the other two.

In 2021, I had McTavish at #3 overall.

Sure feels nice after sleeping in a Holiday Inn. We don't have to wholly agree with a report, but it's always great getting more and more info. That means we all get to talk about more stuff b/c our season ended already.
IIRC he had mintyukov 4th or 5th

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad