Speculation: With the third pick in the 2024 NHL draft the Anaheim Ducks select...(Plus other Draft talk)

Who do the Ducks take at pick 3?

• Ivan Demidov

Votes: 27 19.1%
  • Anton Silayev

Votes: 17 12.1%
  • Artyom Levshunov

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Cayden Lindstrom

Votes: 12 8.5%
  • Sam Dickinson

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zeev Buium

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Carter Yakemchuk

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
He had Iginla going 13th.

He had Leshunov going 2nd which makes Silayev at 3rd pretty logical especially since Silayev plays mostly on the right side. Columbus pick is a wildcard right now...they could go in many directions.

In Pronman's blurb about picking Silayev at #3, he listed the Ducks would be focusing on three d-men in Lev, Silayev, and Dickinson. For Pronman's mock, Dickinson went #4 overall. Pronman added another qualifier for the Ducks' pick at #3 that they are interested in F Lindstrom should they be looking at forward.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
If he had Tij going to Calgary I would say it's basically Canadian fanfic.

I doubt the Ducks take a LHD, but the idea of Columbus passing on Lindstrom or Demidov for another LHD seems a little convenient.
i'd be shocked if iginla doesn't get drafted by calgary

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Also,

Apparently he doesn't think much of Levshunov. :eek3:

Here's two more prospect breakdowns from Patrick. Patrick's mock has Dickinson going 12th and Lev going 14th overall.

Lev
https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/anahe...heim-ducks-2024-draft-target-artyom-levshunov

Patrick has a lot of dislike for a freshman who earned Defensive Player of the Year in the Big-10 Conference.

Dickinson

Patrick is quite favorable to Dickinson, denoting Dickinson's growth and identifying he's not sure what the coaching staff requires of Dickinson.

He's improved in transition but has occasionally left the defensive zone a little early. It's tough to tell if that's what the Knight's system requires of him or if he's making too risky a read.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Whats the issue with Sennecke? I don't see anything about off ice issues in his prospect thread. Are you thinking of Connolly?
I think it was wheeler who reported that teams were wary for awhile because of his off-ice attitude. The athletic has locked me out, so I'll have to check later.

Reactions: Goose of Reason

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I think it was wheeler who reported that teams were wary for awhile because of his off-ice attitude. The athletic has locked me out, so I'll have to check later.

I gotcha. From the Athletic:

It really has happened quickly for Sennecke. In the fall, when I asked NHL scouts and OHL folks about him, his name was usually met with a sigh. Everyone saw the skill and the potential, but as one OHL coach told me, he had a lot of bad habits he needed to break, a tendency to play one-on-one too much, and wavering competitiveness. There were also benchings and off-ice questions. In a survey of a few people early on this season, everyone handicapped him as a late-first. One coach even questioned if he’d take him in the first. As recently as my March 25 draft ranking, I had an OHL GM reach out to me to say, “Sennecke’s character is a concern but he has the frame and puck skills. Where you have him (No. 23 at the time, he’s now No. 16 on my list) I think is fair.”
We’re just a month and a half out from that and there’s no way Sennecke is available outside the top 20 anymore. Some teams are having top-10 conversations about him.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
You dont take guys with character questions that high.

If the rumors are true anyway.

I remember ages ago when Jeff Feiesen went 11th, even though talent wise many had him projected top 5. On the SJ Usenet group (dating myself here) someone said a couple years later at a season ticket holder event one of the Sharks brass admitted they spent a few months spreading rumors about his bad character hoping he'd fall in the draft. Scuzzy thing to do if true, but I wouldn't be surprised if it does happen.

• Wow
Reactions: Yemeth

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Underway with our third and final mock draft of the season. Hawks went with Demidov at #2 and after some negotiations trying to acquire Noah Dobson in a package involving #3, I ended up selecting Anton Silayev.

Prepare to be angry if you already would have preferred Levshunov. Vegas had acquired pick #11 from Buffalo and then moved up to #7 to grab Lev.

In the mean time I had Colorado message me about Gibson, ended up moving him for Manson and Georgiev in a straight two for one. They save 1.5M in cap and should see more stability in net if Gibby can rebound.

Then immediately had NJ reach out about Georgiev and flipped him for pick #75 and RW prospect Leeni Hameenaho, a second rounder from a year ago who had a great D+1 in SM Liiga (Silf type upside?)

Started contacting teams about mid first round picks to get into that top 15 tier and ended up moving the EDM 1st (#24) and Boston 2nd (#59) to move up to #15. Came down to a choice between Greentree and MBN, I went with RW Brandsegg-Nygard who plays that heavier pro style game already.

Would have been content to stay at #35 where some interesting RHD would be available, but Jiricek started to drop and there's reason to believe his upside is a tier above the late first/early second round guys. Sent pick 35+the acquired pick 75 to COL for #25 to grab Jiricek.

1) SJ - Celebrini
2) CHI - Demidov
3) ANA* - Silayev
4) CLB - Catton
5) MTL - Lindstrom
6) UT? - Buium
7) VGK - Levshunov
8) SEA - Dickinson
9) CGY - Yakemchuk
10) NJ - Helenius
11) OTT - Parekh
12) PHI - Iginla
13) MIN - Sennecke
14) SJ - Eiserman
15) ANA* - Brandsegg - Nygard
16) STL - Greentree
17) WHS - Basha
18) NYI - Letourneau
19) OTT - Boisvert
20) CHI - Freij
21) CGY - Elick (pick acquired from LA as part of a deal for Markstrom)
22) NSH - Chernysov
23) NYI - Solberg
24) TB - Hage
25) ANA* - Jiricek
26) OTT - Beaudoin

That's where we're at so far

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
Wow, Jiricek at 25 would be a steal, at least according to most rankings I've seen that have him in the 13 - 17 range.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
Underway with our third and final mock draft of the season. Hawks went with Demidov at #2 and after some negotiations trying to acquire Noah Dobson in a package involving #3, I ended up selecting Anton Silayev.

Prepare to be angry if you already would have preferred Levshunov. Vegas had acquired pick #11 from Buffalo and then moved up to #7 to grab Lev.

In the mean time I had Colorado message me about Gibson, ended up moving him for Manson and Georgiev in a straight two for one. They save 1.5M in cap and should see more stability in net if Gibby can rebound.

Then immediately had NJ reach out about Georgiev and flipped him for pick #75 and RW prospect Leeni Hameenaho, a second rounder from a year ago who had a great D+1 in SM Liiga (Silf type upside?)

Started contacting teams about mid first round picks to get into that top 15 tier and ended up moving the EDM 1st (#24) and Boston 2nd (#59) to move up to #15. Came down to a choice between Greentree and MBN, I went with RW Brandsegg-Nygard who plays that heavier pro style game already.

Would have been content to stay at #35 where some interesting RHD would be available, but Jiricek started to drop and there's reason to believe his upside is a tier above the late first/early second round guys. Sent pick 35+the acquired pick 75 to COL for #25 to grab Jiricek.

1) SJ - Celebrini
2) CHI - Demidov
3) ANA* - Silayev
4) CLB - Catton
5) MTL - Lindstrom
6) UT? - Buium
7) VGK - Levshunov
8) SEA - Dickinson
9) CGY - Yakemchuk
10) NJ - Helenius
11) OTT - Parekh
12) PHI - Iginla
13) MIN - Sennecke
14) SJ - Eiserman
15) ANA* - Brandsegg - Nygard
16) STL - Greentree
17) WHS - Basha
18) NYI - Letourneau
19) OTT - Boisvert
20) CHI - Freij
21) CGY - Elick (pick acquired from LA as part of a deal for Markstrom)
22) NSH - Chernysov
23) NYI - Solberg
24) TB - Hage
25) ANA* - Jiricek
26) OTT - Beaudoin

That's where we're at so far
I would have taken Lev but I find Silayev to be a good choice as well, I would love if the front office found a way to walk out of this draft with MBN in tow, having a grindy and gritty forward who can pot some goals would go a long way for this team.

Bender66

Send in the clowns
Oct 4, 2008
SoCal
If the rumors are true anyway.

I remember ages ago when Jeff Feiesen went 11th, even though talent wise many had him projected top 5. On the SJ Usenet group (dating myself here) someone said a couple years later at a season ticket holder event one of the Sharks brass admitted they spent a few months spreading rumors about his bad character hoping he'd fall in the draft. Scuzzy thing to do if true, but I wouldn't be surprised if it does happen.
Except it turned out Jeff del taco ad friesen did have a shitty attitude problem

Reactions: Mr Quacksworth

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
He had Iginla going 13th.

He had Leshunov going 2nd which makes Silayev at 3rd pretty logical especially since Silayev plays mostly on the right side. Columbus pick is a wildcard right now...they could go in many directions.
Why do you say Silayev most likely plays rhd?

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Except it turned out Jeff del taco ad friesen did have a shitty attitude problem
I know him personally. Super nice guy but certainly has a temper and maybe even some cte. Definitely a guy that cares about others though.

Reactions: Static

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
Here is an article I just pulled up that does reference him playing the right side...about half way down...

Yeah there's quite a few full game shift videos on YoutTube, he's playing right side in all I've seen. I'm warming up to him being the guy the more I watch. Defensively he's a cheat code with his length and how quick his feet move. Kinda crazy how fast he closes gaps. He's also impressively physical for an 18 year old playing KHL.

Reactions: lwvs84

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Yeah there's quite a few full game shift videos on YoutTube, he's playing right side in all I've seen. I'm warming up to him being the guy the more I watch. Defensively he's a cheat code with his length and how quick his feet move. Kinda crazy how fast he closes gaps. He's also impressively physical for an 18 year old playing KHL.
And keep in mind that he was 17 years old in all the clips you were watching!

I've said it before but the decision between Levshunov/Silayev is very similar to Carlsson/Fantill last year. I'm leaning towards Silayev b/c the Ducks already have enough offensively oriented D and Silayev's floor is a 2nd pairing defensive defenseman. If the Hawks take Levshunov then I think Silayev is a no brainer for the Ducks.

Reactions: KickHisAssZegrass

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
And keep in mind that he was 17 years old in all the clips you were watching!

I've said it before but the decision between Levshunov/Silayev is very similar to Carlsson/Fantill last year. I'm leaning towards Silayev b/c the Ducks already have enough offensively oriented D and Silayev's floor is a 2nd pairing defensive defenseman. If the Hawks take Levshunov then I think Silayev is a no brainer for the Ducks.

I believe they'll have Silayev firmly above Levshunov for the unicorn defense.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad