With the expected 2020 expansion draft, how should the FO prepare?

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
The NHL is expanding to Seattle. Most of the media insiders seem to think it will be in 2020. How should the front office begin preparing now for that draft?

I for one believe they should hang on to as many draft picks as they can and do whatever they can to convert older and redundant assets to picks. Based on last drafts rules, I would not give very many no movement or no trade contracts. Maybe buy out a few aging players with those contracts shortly before the draft.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
At this point the mandatory protects are Jones, Zach, PLD & Bread.

Probables are Wennberg, Cam, Bob, Andy

Rest will depend on the next two seasons.

I agree that if Foligno & Dubi aren't gone by then and won't waive, buyouts for both will be in order.

I agree NMC/NTC should be minimized if not eliminated. Needs to be maximum flexibilty to protect the best players.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
At this point the mandatory protects are Jones, Zach, PLD & Bread.

Probables are Wennberg, Cam, Bob, Andy

Rest will depend on the next two seasons.

I agree that if Foligno & Dubi aren't gone by then and won't waive, buyouts for both will be in order.

I agree NMC/NTC should be minimized if not eliminated. Needs to be maximum flexibilty to protect the best players.

Last edited:

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Not certain if it is permitted under the collective bargaining agreement, but if the Blue Jackets feel compelled to give a player a no movement-no trade clause, they should ask for an exemption for certain dates aligning with the anticipated expansion draft.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Not certain if it is permitted under the collective bargaining agreement, but if the Blue Jackets feel compelled to give a player a no movement-no trade clause, they should ask for an exemption for certain dates aligning with the anticipated expansion draft.
Interesting thought. I wonder if they can set them up like the limited no trade clause where the player and team agree to a list?

Player is granted a No Movement Clause with a limited exception and may be traded or assigned to Team A, B, C and the Seattle expansion draft.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'm guessing no player would agree to be sent to an expansion team. Realistically the only deals coming up where it will be an issue will be Zach's (no way is he not protected with or w/o a clause), Bread (ditto) and Bob's. Bob might be the only one where it makes some sense but imo there is no way Bob would agree to such a deal.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I'm guessing no player would agree to be sent to an expansion team. Realistically the only deals coming up where it will be an issue will be Zach's (no way is he not protected with or w/o a clause), Bread (ditto) and Bob's. Bob might be the only one where it makes some sense but imo there is no way Bob would agree to such a deal.

I dunno... it's working out pretty well for the Vegas castoffs. I wonder if that'll change perceptions at all.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I dunno... it's working out pretty well for the Vegas castoffs. I wonder if that'll change perceptions at all.
Teams didn't have time to properly prepare and they didn't know what to expect. Teams will have had almost 4 years to get ready. I don't think we'll see near as many deals made with Seattle.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Teams didn't have time to properly prepare and they didn't know what to expect. Teams will have had almost 4 years to get ready. I don't think we'll see near as many deals made with Seattle.

True... I just mean there are probably certain players on certain teams that WANT to get picked up in the expansion draft.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I promised to stay off Dubi's back until after the season. Well, the season's over......

If it were in 2019 I'd say it's the chance to push Dubi that direction. But 2020 means carrying him and his contract for two more years, something I hope like heck not to see happen.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
It'll become clearer next offseason, because we'll know the fates of Bob and Panarin. Impossible to predict right now, but the only assured thing is it won't be pretty.

Reactions: Jackets Fan
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio

I would have agreed with you until I saw Marc-Andre Fleury waive his NMC for the Vegas expansion draft.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I'm guessing no player would agree to be sent to an expansion team.

I'm not sure about that.

The Vegas experience might make more players amenable to playing for Seattle. An expansion team has no bad contracts which clutter their payroll. They can draft players who fit the "new" game. The energy that the Vegas market had could easily be replicated in Seattle-they're nutzo about the Seahawks.

Every second and third liner Seattle obtains will get an opportunity to show his wares like Karlsson did.

I think it would be easier to recruit players to Seattle than to many other teams. If given the choice between Seattle and a Vancouver or a Carolina, I'd be inclined to think that most players would rather be in Seattle.

Last edited:
Reactions: MoeBartoli

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

I would have agreed with you until I saw Marc-Andre Fleury waive his NMC for the Vegas expansion draft.

I'm not sure about that.

The Vegas experience might make more players amenable to playing for Seattle. An expansion team has no bad contracts which clutter their payroll. They can draft players who fit the "new" game. The energy that the Vegas market had could easily be replicated in Seattle-they're nutzo about the Seahawks.

Every second and third liner Seattle obtains will get an opportunity to show his wares like Karlsson did.

I think it would be easier to recruit players to Seattle than to many other teams. If given the choice between Seattle and a Vancouver or a Carolina, I'd be inclined to think that most players would rather be in Seattle.

You guys make good points. It will probably come down to a case by case basis. Some guys will be happy to go, others may not. In the case of Fleury. I think he waived because it was a case of him continuing as #1 goalie versus sitting behind/battling with Murray.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
The Jackets should stop (and think they may have slowed) handing out NTC/NMC to every guy they sign. They handed them out like candy in past and really hurt us last time around.
Apart from that I'm not too worried. Not like I look at our roster and see a great core with a ton of good players. I see a great core of a few players.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
The Jackets should stop (and think they may have slowed) handing out NTC/NMC to every guy they sign. They handed them out like candy in past and really hurt us last time around.
giphy.gif

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Do you guys remember what the team looked like and how the team played before Foligno, Dubi and the other Redundanteers were brought in??

Didn't think so.

Reactions: mikeyp24

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Apart from that I'm not too worried. Not like I look at our roster and see a great core with a ton of good players. I see a great core of a few players.
According to cap friendly, they gave Cam a NTC.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I promised to stay off Dubi's back until after the season. Well, the season's over......

If it were in 2019 I'd say it's the chance to push Dubi that direction. But 2020 means carrying him and his contract for two more years, something I hope like heck not to see happen.
I would be surprised if Dubi wasn't traded this of season. Unfortunately it will return another bad contact. I'd take two years in return of they could swing it.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I would be surprised if Dubi wasn't traded this of season. Unfortunately it will return another bad contact. I'd take two years in return of they could swing it.
He has 3 years at $5.85M left and a no movement clause. His family is here in Columbus (large house in Muirfield) and it's likely his last contract. Bottom line I'm not sure he is tradeable (he would have to agree to it). This will be one of those bad contracts that we have to ride out I'm guessing.
I have no doubt Dubi will play hard, but if ownership/coaches just keep scratching him it could be a bad situation.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
He has 3 years at $5.85M left and a no movement clause. His family is here in Columbus (large house in Muirfield) and it's likely his last contract. Bottom line I'm not sure he is tradeable (he would have to agree to it). This will be one of those bad contracts that we have to ride out I'm guessing.
I have no doubt Dubi will play hard, but if ownership/coaches just keep scratching him it could be a bad situation.

My guess his he'll be back for sure in 2018-2019 and management (and Dubi) hope that he can have a bounce back. If not, I can see a buyout of the last two years of his contract, but I'm reasonably sure he won't be bought out this summer.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
No idea to their credibility, but there were rumors of Dubinsky asking for a trade last season.

But also Jarmo said Dubinsky seemed pissed off at the season he had and wants to be better next season. So I would at least see how he starts the season before trying anything rash.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
The Jackets might find themselves in the same situation Philly did with Lecavalier.

The Dubinsky situation will be a very interesting to watch. It could get very ugly

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
There is one big difference.

Vinny had his name etched in a silver chalice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad