Line Combos: With the addition of Orlov, how do you see the defense pairings?

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Lots of discussion on this in the trade thread. Let’s talk about it here instead.

I’ll post my thoughts in more detail later. But for now I’ll say that Orlov joins McAvoy, Lindholm and Carlo as every day blueliners. It’s Forbort, Grzelcyk and Clifton who make up 3 of the remaining two spots.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Orlov -- McAvoy

Lindholm -- Carlo

FLEX -- Clifton

depth: Grz, Forbort, Zboril, Reilly, Stralman

I'd like to see us add one more RD that's a better option than Stralman and move out Reilly/Zboril to get that done.

I also like the idea of having one of McAvoy, Lindholm, and Orlov out on the ice for the entire game. In that scenerio, Grz is in the lineup next to McAvoy.

Grz -- McAvoy

Lindholm -- Carlo

Orlov -- Clifton

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Orlov -- McAvoy

Lindholm -- Carlo

FLEX -- Clifton

depth: Grz, Forbort, Zboril, Reilly, Stralman

I'd like to see us add one more RD that's a better option than Stralman and move out Reilly/Zboril to get that done.

I also like the idea of having one of McAvoy, Lindholm, and Orlov out on the ice for the entire game. In that scenerio, Grz is in the lineup next to McAvoy.

Grz -- McAvoy

Lindholm -- Carlo

Orlov -- Clifton

I would go Orlov Carlo. Orlov moving to a new system probably has an easier time with steady Carlo than Clifton.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Rest of the regular season all bets are off. I won’t read a single thing into the first lineup or lineups even if Forbort is the one sat. I would hope others would see that as well. The defense hasn’t had a game off since Forbort got back from injury. Going to rotate 7.

Assuming full health, I want Monty to have full flexibility in his pairings so Forbort is 7D. Grizz taking Forbort’s 5v5 minutes is more impactful than a “downgrade” from Forbort to Orlov on the PK is a negative. If a pair or defenseman is getting exploited then roll Forbort in and try a different look.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Rest of the regular season all bets are off. I won’t read a single thing into the first lineup or lineups even if Forbort is the one sat. I would hope others would see that as well. The defense hasn’t had a game off since Forbort got back from injury. Going to rotate 7.

Assuming full health, I want Monty to have full flexibility in his pairings so Forbort is 7D. Grizz taking Forbort’s 5v5 minutes is more impactful than a “downgrade” from Forbort to Orlov on the PK is a negative. If a pair or defenseman is getting exploited then roll Forbort in and try a different look.
We generally don't see eye to eye on Forbort but even i can see he's the one to sit. I could see him being put in over someone in the playoffs if:

A) The PK struggles

Or

B) Gryz struggles with an opposing team's forecheck/physicality

I can even see a very far outside chance with an injury to an F like Nosek if they try and dress all 7 D and use him exclusively on PK.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Said this in trade thread but better fit here. Where it ends up being Gryz or Forbort as that 3 LHD they are going to see some limited sheltered minutes in big games.

Both players have limitations, and can be exploited. It will be critical for Monty to manage and try to avoid those limitations

I expect you see Orlov and Lindholm get into the 22-25 min range each, and Gryz/Forbort, down in the 12-15

Reactions: hrdpuk and Root

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I’ll say this too:

@PlayMakers posted some Expected Goals For/Against stats for Grzelcyk in the Trade thread. They certainly appear favourable.

But you can’t post those and dismiss others that show he’s not as effective in playoffs as he is in the regular season. If one set of data is good, you have to allow for others as well.

Truth is, Grzelcyk isn’t the playoff disaster that some would like to claim. And he isn’t the dynamo in the playoffs that others would argue. He’s somewhere in the middle.

And to me (as big of a fan as I am of Grzelcyk and I am one of his biggest) there’s a case to be made for him being part of a rotation at least with Forbort on the left side.

And this may be a hot take, but I’m arguing for Clifton to play every game, just like the top four (hopefully paired with Lindholm). I just love how he ELEVATES his game come post-season and think his tenacity will be key to the Bruins success.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Gryz-Mcavoy
Lindholm-Clifton
Orlov-Carlo

There is no weakness there at 5v5. PK may take a hit without Forbort, but Lindholm and Orlov should be able to hold down fort on the left side of the PK

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I want my top pairing to be the pairing I am going to have on the ice for 10 minutes in the 3rd period of a tight hockey game. So it has to be McAvoy with either Lindholm, or Orlov.

And really I want the second pair to be out there for 7-8 min. So it should be Carlo, with Lindholm/Orlov

Reactions: hrdpuk

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I really do not like this oft-proposed Grzelcyk - Clifton pair.

I wouldn’t hesitate to put him with either Carlo or McAvoy. Just not a fan of that third pair.

Agreed.

I think I‘d like to see this for a start….

Orlov - McAvoy
Lindholm - Carlo
Forbort - Clifton

if it’s Grzelcyk then put him with McAvoy and Orlov with Clifton

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I can't help but think about the way Tampa organized their defense in their playoff runs. Hedman, McDonagh, and Sergachev would nominally be on different pairs, but still be the clear top 3 in TOI, both overall and even strength. I would suggest trying something similar here. The goal should be to have at least one of McAvoy, Lindholm, and Orlov on the ice at all times.

Start with this and then figure out the best pairs besides that.

xxx-McAvoy
Lindholm-xxx
Orlov-xxx

Personally, I'd try this first

Grzelcyk-McAvoy
Lindholm-Carlo
Orlov-Clifton

Grzelcyk, Clifton, and Forbort would be match-up based. There may be certain teams where Grzelcyk's size is more of an issue. Clifton's recklessness can be problematic. I put Forbort last because his value is tied almost entirely to the PK, and the playoffs are more 5-on-5, plus his style fits the least with Montgomery's preference to activate his defensemen.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I really do not like this oft-proposed Grzelcyk - Clifton pair.

I wouldn’t hesitate to put him with either Carlo or McAvoy. Just not a fan of that third pair.
I’m curious to see what happens with Zboril. With the Orlov acquisition he moves to #8 in the pecking order. He can’t be sent to Providence without risking a waiver claim. So he sits. Not a good scenario for this young warrior.

Does he have any trade value?

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I'm fully expecting Monty to try a variety of pairings once Orlov is here. What looks good/bad on paper doesn't always translate to what happens on the ice.

Monty has so much flexibility now. Who gets what amount of time on the PK/PP could very well make a difference in the 5x5 pairings he uses. Orlov is fairly versatile. Not a one-trick pony. Hopefully once Monty gets the pairings and ice-time stuff figured out he will be able to do some serious rotation down the stretch to rest these guys for a long playoff run.

Reactions: Gordoff and BTO

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I know very little about advance stats in hockey but analyzing data is something I’m familiar with in the applied sciences field specifically with epidemiology, entomology, and plant physiology - so generally when we came up with a model that analyzed something effectively in the sense that it gave us data we couldn’t see traditionally, but said data didn’t fit what was actually happening in all situations, we needed to analyze further - here we have advanced stats vs the eye test, and so it seems to be that the two need to continue building off eachother rather than being opposite

So I ask the knowledgeable, non rhetorically, what do we conclude when gryzz’s “expected” stats do not actually match when ends up happening in practice? Someone posted his expected stats since the 2018 playoffs, along with ones since 2021. It also had tj brodie and Reilly of the leafs ahead of Cale makar, the kid who spearheaded a cup win. So something just seems…unfinished here?

Are we truly saying that these players in a vacuum are this but the team overall makes their play x? Or are some advanced stats misleading in practice and then building off that without trying to refine the model just makes them even more misleading?

Need those that are knowledgeable and have some scientific methods background to weigh in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad