Player Discussion With the 9th pick in the 2019 NHL Draft, the Ducks select Trevor Zegras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
It's not premature you are seeing it more and more in sports where teams want to lock up guys early because you will pay more later. It is a risk.

The Ray's just gave Wander Franco 200 million dollars. He's played 70 mlb games, they know they would be paying alot more if they waited even another year
Baseball has no real cap and is pretty much irrelevant in a discussion of NHL salaries.

It requires the player agree to the contract. The team has to throw enough cash to get the player to agree that it’s a fair contract. Zegras is probably the most cocky player the Ducks have ever had, it’s inconceivable that he won’t see himself as a superstar with limitless potential vs being a player who’s topped out at production warranting a “B” level salary after 3 years.

Reactions: bsu

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
No. I want him signed to a fair deal. What has he done right now to justify getting more than Point or Barzal if he bridges or Svechnikov if he signs long term?
You are asking a question that is completely illogical. He hasn’t done anything because he still has 2 years left on his ELC. Come back to this next year and see what he’s done. I will bet you it will be very close to those guys

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
You are asking a question that is completely illogical. He hasn’t done anything because he still has 2 years left on his ELC. Come back to this next year and see what he’s done. I will bet you it will be very close to those guys

I wasn’t the one who started the illogical statements saying as of right now they would sign him to 8x8 no questions asked. I prefaced everything I said saying right now he isn’t worth that but that could change by the time he signs.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I wasn’t the one who started the illogical statements saying as of right now they would sign him to 8x8 no questions asked. I prefaced everything I said saying right now he isn’t worth that but that could change by the time he signs.
It isn’t illogical at all to project that by the time Zegras gets to the end of his ELC he’ll be worth that kind of deal.

That’s a simple and well-backed thesis/projection based on this level of prospect/player. He was the #1 prospect in the league by some outlets and is on a great trajectory at this level so far

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
It isn’t illogical at all to project that by the time Zegras gets to the end of his ELC he’ll be worth that kind of deal.

That’s a simple and well-backed thesis/projection based on this level of prospect/player. He was the #1 prospect in the league by some outlets and is on a great trajectory at this level so far

Im not disagreeing with that logic. I’m disagreeing with those who would give him 8x8 as of right now. As in 1.5 years before his ELC is up. If he was eligible to be signed right now it wouldn’t be for 8x8.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Im not disagreeing with that logic. I’m disagreeing with those who would give him 8x8 as of right now. As in 1.5 years before his ELC is up. If he was eligible to be signed right now it wouldn’t be for 8x8.
Fair. I get your point. I have to say though that that contract for Zegras is going to end up being a good deal if I had to bet on it. We both agree it’s moot until this time next year though

The talent is just overwhelming with this player. I expect our coaching staff to really work on his two-way game the next few years too and iron out his deficiencies - our staff is excellent at that. They’ve made Terry into a great two-way player

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
Fair. I get your point. I have to say though that that contract for Zegras is going to end up being a good deal if I had to bet on it. We both agree it’s moot until this time next year though

The talent is just overwhelming with this player. I expect our coaching staff to really work on his two-way game the next few years too and iron out his deficiencies - our staff is excellent at that. They’ve made Terry into a great two-way player
And also sank steels ceiling

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Did they? He’s not making it because of his physical tools in my book. He’s too weak and not a strong enough skater to overcome that

Regardless, some prospects work and some don’t. That’s not a knock on the coaching staff. That’s every single team in every sport
I think a lot of issues stem from people’s expectations getting really high for steel after his 130 point season on a stacked Regina team.

Realistically he’s a late 1st, that was prob a bit of a reach if I remember correctly…. And his expectations got super high after his big season. If he becomes an everyday nhl player at some point it’s already a pretty good pick imo

I think he’ll find a home in the nhl, maybe not Anaheim . he has good work ethic and will make changes to his game to fit somewhere.

Tho it woulda been nice to get debrincat or kyrou from that draft which if I remember correctly a lot of us wanted that draft day

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Did they? He’s not making it because of his physical tools in my book. He’s too weak and not a strong enough skater to overcome that

Regardless, some prospects work and some don’t. That’s not a knock on the coaching staff. That’s every single team in every sport
Yeah I think that criticism is bunk at this point. Steel has had tons of chances in offensive situations and with favorable matchups and he just doesn't have a consistent impact in those circumstances. I think the decision to see whether he might have value as a bottom 6 defensive center was an astute choice and probably the only way Sam becomes an NHL player. He can win face-offs and he has more than enough smarts to play sound defensively, and plenty of skill with the puck on his stick to be maybe a 25-30 point guy. He needs to do what Terry did and what Zegras is starting to do, which is figure out a way as a skinny undersized guy to win battles.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I just don't think Steel has the combination of size, strength speed that works in the NHL. He needs to get stronger, faster and quicker if he wants to carve out a good career for himself.

If he can do that I think he has the skill and iq to be a good player.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
I like how he’s had the mentality of taking it upon himself to do everything in his power to try and lead the offense with Getz out. Sure it will come at the expense of some goals against (and he does have to get better on that side of the puck), but that bodes well for us in the future

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2011
Baseball has no real cap and is pretty much irrelevant in a discussion of NHL salaries.

It requires the player agree to the contract. The team has to throw enough cash to get the player to agree that it’s a fair contract. Zegras is probably the most cocky player the Ducks have ever had, it’s inconceivable that he won’t see himself as a superstar with limitless potential vs being a player who’s topped out at production warranting a “B” level salary after 3 years.
Other sports do the same thing. The cowboys had to pay Dak Prescott alot more money because they waited so long and eventually it will hurt their team. Small market teams like ours should be probably trying to gamble on signing someone like Zegras early because if we wait until the summer of 23 we will be paying more unless he has some unfortunate injuries. If he's open to a deal similar to Hughes right now it has to be examined you'll be getting all his best years

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
I just don't think Steel has the combination of size, strength speed that works in the NHL. He needs to get stronger, faster and quicker if he wants to carve out a good career for himself.

If he can do that I think he has the skill and iq to be a good player.

Wrong topic, but still: I wouldn't be overly surprised to see Steel in Europe from 2023 on.

Oct 18, 2011
Yeah I think that criticism is bunk at this point. Steel has had tons of chances in offensive situations and with favorable matchups and he just doesn't have a consistent impact in those circumstances. I think the decision to see whether he might have value as a bottom 6 defensive center was an astute choice and probably the only way Sam becomes an NHL player. He can win face-offs and he has more than enough smarts to play sound defensively, and plenty of skill with the puck on his stick to be maybe a 25-30 point guy. He needs to do what Terry did and what Zegras is starting to do, which is figure out a way as a skinny undersized guy to win battles.
Steels footspeed for his size isn't good enough I remember a play vs vegas he had the puck with room up the wing and the defender easily hit him and took the puck. If someone even like Milano had the puck there he would have generated a scoring chance because he's much faster.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Wrong topic, but still: I wouldn't be overly surprised to see Steel in Europe from 2023 on.
I think he’ll find homes on other teams for awhile as a bottom 6 forward…. He works hard and will change his game up to make it in the league, Anaheim just drafts too good to sit and wait on him, plenty of teams need depth centers tho

Zegras mctavish Lundy groulx all are better fits on the depth chart than steel is

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Other sports do the same thing. The cowboys had to pay Dak Prescott alot more money because they waited so long and eventually it will hurt their team. Small market teams like ours should be probably trying to gamble on signing someone like Zegras early because if we wait until the summer of 23 we will be paying more unless he has some unfortunate injuries. If he's open to a deal similar to Hughes right now it has to be examined you'll be getting all his best years
The NFL also isn’t comparable because of how the contracts are able to just be dropped, and they can finagle the cap by restructuring the contract past the guaranteed years. NHL players can’t hold out to get their contracts restructured, and NHL teams have a significantly higher cap burden if they sign a long term bad contract.

Hughes got locked up at 8x8 because he had pretty paltry production for the first two years of his contract. 52 points in 117 games, with only 31 in 56 last year. Zegras had 13 points in 24 games his first year, and 19 in 23 this year. He’s played 46 games. If his productions cools off significantly, Hughes is a comparable. If he stays on his currently trajectory, he will have every right to correctly say Hughes is not. That’s why this is not a conversation worth having at this juncture.

Reactions: FiveHoleTickler
Oct 18, 2011
The NFL also isn’t comparable because of how the contracts are able to just be dropped, and they can finagle the cap by restructuring the contract past the guaranteed years. NHL players can’t hold out to get their contracts restructured, and NHL teams have a significantly higher cap burden if they sign a long term bad contract.

Hughes got locked up at 8x8 because he had pretty paltry production for the first two years of his contract. 52 points in 117 games, with only 31 in 56 last year. Zegras had 13 points in 24 games his first year, and 19 in 23 this year. He’s played 46 games. If his productions cools off significantly, Hughes is a comparable. If he stays on his currently trajectory, he will have every right to correctly say Hughes is not. That’s why this is not a conversation worth having at this juncture.
The conversation with Zegras is worth having now. He might cost you an extra 20 million in a year and some of that money would be nice to have for Terry. It is a risk, it's entirely possible Zegras might rather wait but if they offered him the Hughes deal now I wouldn't find it irresponsible or anything

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
The conversation with Zegras is worth having now. He might cost you an extra 20 million in a year and some of that money would be nice to have for Terry. It is a risk, it's entirely possible Zegras might rather wait but if they offered him the Hughes deal now I wouldn't find it irresponsible or anything
That Hughes deal is going to be so good.

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Look at Sam Steel in that video. What a p***y. Wish he had any heart what so ever.

Reactions: AngelDuck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad