Prospect Info: With the 97th overall pick in the 2023 draft, the Ducks select Konnor Smith

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
It is almost like the Ducks have a checklist of players that they want. Gritty two way forwards, check. A goalie, check. A goon, here we are, we got us a goon. This could go down as one of the worst drafts in Ducks history.

• Haha
Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Love this pick. Not gonna lie, this draft is going exactly how I wanted it. I didnt want to draft any small skill guys outside of the 1st. Just some combination of size, physicality, 2 way, intensity, speed role-player types and we have plenty of guys like that.,

It is almost like the Ducks have a checklist of players that they want. Gritty two way forwards, check. A goalie, check. A goon, here we are, we got us a goon. This could go down as one of the worst drafts in Ducks history.
He did get beat up by a 6 ft guy. May need to learn how to fight haha.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Here's a write up from Brock Otten on Smith:

37. Konnor Smith - Defense - Peterborough Petes
Smith is big (6'5, 206lbs) and he is mean. His potential as a stay at home defender is through the roof. Smith just consistently makes his presence felt. He makes you compete for every inch of ice against him. I actually think he's more than just brawn too. His defensive zone awareness is high. He is a great shot blocker. By the time he becomes an OA in the OHL, he'll likely be one of the better defensive defenders in the league. My concerns are related to how he projects to the NHL level. The first concern is over his mobility. His footwork is not great and his lateral quickness, backwards stride, and the fluidity of his transitions are going to need to improve a ton to be an NHL defender. The second concern surrounds puck management. Anytime I watch the Petes, Smith has a bad giveaway or two from simply not scanning or checking. He's just not the most skilled with the puck. I see him getting drafted probably, but I'm just not sure about his projectability.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I liked Smith early on in the season but I thought he was taking too many bad penalties. I also think his puck skills are lacking like Noah Warren. The Goldsmith kid looks like he moves and handles the puck better, and is just as nasty and more physically developed. I'm surprised we didn't go for him since he was invited to the combine and Smith wasn't.

Well, we finally get a guy who is willing to cross the line with borderline hits.

Edit: I think our scouts are really impressionable from playoffs and tournaments.

mighty Stanley Duck

Feb 1, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Here's a write up from Brock Otten on Smith:

37. Konnor Smith - Defense - Peterborough Petes
Smith is big (6'5, 206lbs) and he is mean. His potential as a stay at home defender is through the roof. Smith just consistently makes his presence felt. He makes you compete for every inch of ice against him. I actually think he's more than just brawn too. His defensive zone awareness is high. He is a great shot blocker. By the time he becomes an OA in the OHL, he'll likely be one of the better defensive defenders in the league. My concerns are related to how he projects to the NHL level. The first concern is over his mobility. His footwork is not great and his lateral quickness, backwards stride, and the fluidity of his transitions are going to need to improve a ton to be an NHL defender. The second concern surrounds puck management. Anytime I watch the Petes, Smith has a bad giveaway or two from simply not scanning or checking. He's just not the most skilled with the puck. I see him getting drafted probably, but I'm just not sure about his projectability.
Jesus, not very optimistic scouting report...i hope he will be good enough for the Gulls.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

On Konnor Smith (4th Round, 97th Overall)

By that point in the draft, we saw more value in the defensemen. There were very few guys like Konnor in the draft, 6-foot-5, 210 lbs., physical and smart. His mobility needs to improve over time. It's going to be a process. He's just growing into his body. But he likes to play a mean game and there are so few guys like that in junior hockey.

Reactions: lwvs84

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin

What I love most about these tweets is that it's from an Oshawa Generals blogger and neither hit involved the Generals. The fact that rival teams fans are so focused on what Konnor Smith is doing and calling for suspensions just shows how much he gets under the skin of other teams. It's hilarious and I bet Konnor feeds off the hate.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Wrong thread, sry.

Having said that, I watched the Petes quite a bit in the playoffs and he was solid. Was also good when asked to play more when the captain (Spearing) went down with a broken jaw. I think Otten is a bit harsh regarding his skillset. I haven't noticed any horrible giveaways. He can make plays. Skating is a concern though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kalv and Ducks DVM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad