Prospect Info: With the #81 pick, the Wild select RW Kurtis Gabriel

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
You are right, Gabriel is like the rest of the group in that he isn't a "cant miss prospect", like Bjorkstrand etc.

He is off the board but I would not call it "baffling".

It is baffling when you have a bunch of guys still on the board. If Gabriel had transformed himself into a respectable power forward, I could see why Minnesota might take a gamble. He's scored 49 points in 172 games. That's pretty atrocious actually (and in the O!).

Equivalent to the Kassian pick from the sound of it.

At least it was only a 3rd.

Even the 3rd has seen some gems like Hackett and Clutterbuck for the Wild.

i'm absolutely okay with this and understand it--just can't bring myself to get worried about an 81st pick not making the NHL. i understand why they took a guy like this. my point was most of those guys will be gone before they consider icing this kid.

You do realize that he might be in the AHL next year? (probably actually). It's just a waste of a high draft pick.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
It is baffling when you have a bunch of guys still on the board. If Gabriel had transformed himself into a respectable power forward, I could see why Minnesota might take a gamble. He's scored 49 points in 172 games. That's pretty atrocious actually (and in the O!).

How is it baffling to pass on high risk/high reward players for a low risk/low reward guy? Not everyone likes to, as YOU put it:
rather take a younger guy sliding down the boards, then reach for a prospect. In fact, we've done well with guys sliding like Lucia, Zucker, Hackett, and Haula.

Does that mean anyone not selecting according to your preference of drafting is "baffling"?

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=4625162

Kurtis Gabriel - There may not be one person drafted this weekend that has worked harder or earned his shot more than Kurtis Gabriel. The Sledgehammer went from being an unknown and often scratched forward in 2010/2011 to becoming an effective power forward who oozes potential. Gabriel stands at 6'4 and tips the scale at 206lbs, but with his work ethic, training and nutrition regimen, there is no reason to doubt he will come into camp bigger, faster and stronger than last season. He tallied a career high 28 points, 13 of which were goals and took on some of the more notable "heavyweights" in the OHL, enjoying success in many of his battles. With a work ethic that is unmatched, you simply cannot bet against the kid any longer and it's hard not to cheer for him.

Cool nickname.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Bjorkstrand, Slepyshev (might have been a better overager), Thompson, Williams, Fasching, Fitzgerald

I know this is pandering, but Slepyshev has confirmed multiple times that he has no interest in playing in North America.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
his nickname is the sledgehammer that is good enough for a 3rd rounder.

Seriously guys will you trust our draft team?

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Like his interview on Wild.com. Also love the fact he is training with Gary Roberts. Comes across very competent, mature for his age.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Apparently purposefully missing the point is the only defense for the Wild drafting hockeys version of Rudy.

Yes, drafting a 6-4 210lbs forward with an amazing work ethic who fights against the nastiest and 5th in team scoring is exactly the same thing. I'm sorry I totally missed the point. Because if I missed the point, I would start throwing out total extremes to make myself feel smart.

OpRedDawn*

Milan Lucic was a throw away pick on a goon at one time. Some of you guys need to trust in a few certain facts.

1. You dont know **** about propsects. Everything that you think you know was gained by reading the opinion of somebody else.

2. Fletcher and Flahr are good at their jobs

This x1000. Combined, this board doesn't have 1/10th of the knowledge that these guys do going into a draft, and yet so many feel like they know more than the professionals.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
Simply put

Wild scouts: spend hundreds of hours scouting players, talking to players, etc.

WMB posters: don't spend massive amounts of time scouting....

who will i trust?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
This x1000. Combined, this board doesn't have 1/10th of the knowledge that these guys do going into a draft, and yet so many feel like they know more than the professionals.

So, Riser knew more than us when it came to drafting? Then again, Bordeleau DID make the NHL.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Was there a Clutterbuck available at 81st? I mean, I would love to draft a mean and physical forward who has strong work ethic like Clutterbuck at 81st.

I'm just saying you draft a young guy with potential. I got to wonder who we will clear to add Gabriel to the roster.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I'm just saying you draft a young guy with potential. I got to wonder who we will clear to add Gabriel to the roster.

Drafting (or scouting for that matter) is never an exact science so unless its picking Gabriel over Mikael Granlund, I will try my best not to call it "baffling".

However, I am 100% fine if you would have prefer to pick someone else. Personally, I am not sure what to make of the pick. But I can at least appreciate the good things about him, which is his size, his excellent work ethic and his fearlessness.

So I totally understand why you prefer a younger player with more potential and I can sympathize.

But then again, I have no qualms with a 6-4 210lbs player that has world class work ethic + fights against the meanest + plays a pro-style game, even if he is older. Is he my number #1 choice at 81? No! But I am at least interested and willing to see what happens? Sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad