Prospect Info: With the 60th overall pick in the 2023 draft, the Ducks select Damian Clara

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
It's only an early pick if you're focused on pre-draft rankings and not on the context of the draft. Pretty much all the top rated goaltenders according to scouts were going off the board, if you wanted one you had to take on in the second round.

Yup. Four goalies were selected before Clara.

35th. Gajan
38th. Hrabal
41st. Augustine
51st. Bjarnason
60th. Clara

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
Yup. Four goalies were selected before Clara.

35th. Gajan
38th. Hrabal
41st. Augustine
51st. Bjarnason
60th. Clara
Will be interesting to see what goalie comes out on top for this class, especially considering the other dark horses like Fowler Milic and Ratzlaff. Hopefully it’s our guy, he has a good shot imo.

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
IIRC Clara already played at 2022's Worlds for Italy against Germany, because their first two goalies went down. He was very good there.

Edit: nevermind, he was on the bench against Germany in 2021 but didn't play.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kalv

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
One impression I get from Clara is that he's a pretty intelligent and thoughtful guy. At 18, he's fluent in at least four languages (well, in three for sure: German, English and Swedish; I haven't heard him speak Italian but I'd say it's very likely he speaks it well) and in interviews he comes across like someone who already has his own opinions and with whom coaches could have a nuanced conversation on questions like e.g. the intricacies of size vs mobility for a goaltender, etc.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
From my understanding, he is the first Italian born and raised player drafted.

Reactions: Kalv

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
I like him too but it was early. Madden said he had 4 on his list and it sounds like the other 3 went early so they felt they had to make the pick earlier.

That is what it sounds like. I think a potential #1G at that point in the draft was the best value. I don't think there was anyone taken after him who has the same potential at any position.

Goalies being drafted always reminds me of fantasy sports. It’s like the one person takes a goalie or QB and then it’s like ok here comes the positional run lol.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Sbisa is of Italian ethnic background of Swiss Citizenship like Dionicio.
Western Switzerland is French speaking, South Eastern Switzerland is Italian & Romansch speaking, the rest is Swiss German. Sort of like how 1 part of Belgium is French, the other part is Dutch and then a minority that speaks German.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Sbisa is of Italian ethnic background of Swiss Citizenship like Dionicio.
Western Switzerland is French speaking, South Eastern Switzerland is Italian & Romansch speaking, the rest is Swiss German. Sort of like how 1 part of Belgium is French, the other part is Dutch and then a minority that speaks German.
Some swiss folks might be italian speaking but they shit on italians like they were germans.

:devdance:

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Anaheim has one of the best young goalie talents in the world in Damian Clara.

If I understand it correctly he will play for Färjestad in SHL next season?

Anybody knows the background behind this strange story? Why not developing him in Anaheim together with the rest of young talents, isn't he good enough?

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Anaheim has one of the best young goalie talents in the world in Damian Clara.

If I understand it correctly he will play for Färjestad in SHL next season?

Anybody knows the background behind this strange story? Why not developing him in Anaheim together with the rest of young talents, isn't he good enough?
We already have our NHL tandem set in stone and 4 other goalies signed (who are older than Clara) that will fill out our tandems in the minors. His time will come.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
We already have our NHL tandem set in stone and 4 other goalies signed (who are older than Clara) that will fill out our tandems in the minors. His time will come.

Ok, thanks, my impression is that everybody vastly underestimating Clara even though he is proving everybody wrong. First Brynäs getting him on a loan from Färjestad. The biggest mistake made by Färjestad in many years, Clara had a truly outstanding season for Brynäs but now Anaheim don't think he is good enough for them either? 🤔 I just don't get it but ok, I read your post. After/if winning SHL next season I assume he could possibly get a chance? :rolleyes: (Färjestad is usually a top team)

Last edited:
Reactions: Son of Gib
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Ok, thanks, my impression is that everybody is underestimating Clara even though he is proving everybody wrong. First Brynäs getting him on a loan from Färjestad. The biggest mistake made by Färjestad in many years, Clara had a truly outstanding season for Brynäs but now Anaheim don't think he is good enough for them either? 🤔 I just don't get it but ok, I read your post. After/if winning SHL next season I assume he could possibly get a chance? :rolleyes: (Färjestad is usually a top team)
Hope he reads this, man.

Reactions: Son of Gib

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Ok, thanks, my impression is that everybody is underestimating Clara even though he is proving everybody wrong. First Brynäs getting him on a loan from Färjestad. The biggest mistake made by Färjestad in many years, Clara had a truly outstanding season for Brynäs but now Anaheim don't think he is good enough for them either? 🤔 I just don't get it but ok, I read your post. After winning SHL next season I assume he could possibly get a chance? :rolleyes:
Good enough for Anaheim as in actually play in the NHL?
Why would they do that? He is 19. Gibson is not going anywhere unless he is traded, Dostal is better then Clara right now.

He could play in the AHL, but the Ducks have 3 goalies older then him, and 1 will already be in the ECHL. Whats the problem with him staying in the SHL?

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Good enough for Anaheim as in actually play in the NHL?
Why would they do that? He is 19. Gibson is not going anywhere unless he is traded, Dostal is better then Clara right now.

He could play in the AHL, but the Ducks have 3 goalies older then him, and 1 will already be in the ECHL. Whats the problem with him staying in the SHL?
Nothing but I thought Anaheim was interested in winning. Clara is really really good, I am telling you. Yes, he is young but some adjustment to North American hockey is necessary, why wait?

Well, good for SHL and Färjestad.

Peace

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
Nothing but I thought Anaheim was interested in winning. Clara is really really good, I am telling you.
Once the Ducks' organisation sees he's better than Dostal or Gibson, he will be brought to Anaheim. There's no hurry and absolutely no reason to bring him over just to sit on the bench. Much better for him to develop in a competitive league where he gets starts.

Honestly, if his development trajectory continues the way it has gone until now, it won't be long. But we'll see, patience is a virtue with prospects.

Reactions: JabbaJabba and 21

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
It took Dostal several years before he arrived in the AHL, its only been nearly a year since Clara was drafted and you don't see many 19 yearold goalies in the NHL.

Reactions: 21 and JabbaJabba

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
Nothing but I thought Anaheim was interested in winning. Clara is really really good, I am telling you. Yes, he is young but some adjustment to North American hockey is necessary, why wait?

Well, good for SHL and Färjestad.

Peace
Frankly, as good as he was last year, I highly doubt that works for him right away, even in the AHL. Like others have said, Dostal was .928 his last full Liiga season and still had work to do. Goalies develop just fine and Euro leagues have 4 year signing period.

The roster limit is what keeps Ducks from signing all their prospects currently. You can only have so many guys under contract even if they are loaned to juniors or Europe. They have a lot of guys knocking on the door and even Dionicio is going to Europe for a year instead of getting a contract despite perhaps earning it. And they're going to add another high end prospect and who knows what else.

Reactions: 21

Ad

Upcoming events

• Melbourne Demons @ West Coast Eagles
    Melbourne Demons @ West Coast Eagles
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,800.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Austria vs Norway
    Austria vs Norway
    Wagers: 3