Prospect Info: With the 207th Overall Pick the Rangers Select Patrik Virta

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Defected player rights don’t expire. If Virta remains on the reserve list, his rights stay with the Rangers until they remove him.

In Valentenko’s case, the team didn’t keep him on the reserve list. Same is true for Klingberg.

Edit: wrong about Klingberg. Rangers lost his rights when he moved to the Swiss league.

Last edited:

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Defected player rights don’t expire. If Virta remains on the reserve list, his rights stay with the Rangers until they remove him.

In Valentenko’s case, the team didn’t keep him on the reserve list. Same is true for Klingberg.

Edit: wrong about Klingberg. Rangers lost his rights when he moved to the Swiss league.
I do believe we still have Jensen’s rights (I think through next year?)

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
We definitely have Jensen's rights, and if Capfriendly is to be believed, indefinitely. That squares with my understanding, so I believe it. LOL.

They say we also hold Pashnin's rights still. I guess we haven't renounced them. We held Gorokhov's rights until he was like 33 or something.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

upload_2018-7-19_19-50-58.png

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
We definitely have Jensen's rights, and if Capfriendly is to be believed, indefinitely. That squares with my understanding, so I believe it. LOL.

They say we also hold Pashnin's rights still. I guess we haven't renounced them. We held Gorokhov's rights until he was like 33 or something.
Oh, cool! I never fully grasped RFA rights when a player goes to Europe, so this definitely clears it up.

Thanks for posting the chart, @Amazing Kreiderman

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

The reserve list is, I think, 80 or 90 which means we can have 30/40 players that aren't under contract in the system. No need to denounce rights to a player.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Oh, cool! I never fully grasped RFA rights when a player goes to Europe, so this definitely clears it up.

Thanks for posting the chart, @Amazing Kreiderman

Always happy to help. I read a lot on the CBA, and even I am still learning each week. There's so much that gets cleared up even years later.

Sometimes I worry it annoys people when I throw out these random bits of information or that it makes me sound like a pompous ass :laugh:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The reserve list is, I think, 80 or 90 which means we can have 30/40 players that aren't under contract in the system. No need to denounce rights to a player.
Yeah I get it, just kind of interesting to me that they still feel it worth it to keep Pashnin's rights. Do they have a belief that he'd like to try the NHL one day?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
huh? He's leaving the KHL? I'm confused
Yeah it was being discussed in the Prospect Thread, he and Slovan agreed to a mutual termination of his contract.

Still don't know why, but he had seen a reduced role lately and I think missed the past couple games.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
That's a bit crazy, but I don't see this as a downgrade for Virta. Slovan is trash and although the reasoning is due to him "not being as prominent as hoped", the SHL is still a good league for him to develop.

Nothing is confirmed, yet, but all the best!!
I'd really like a Swedish-speaker to translate that quote for us. Is that saying he wanted to leave because he wasn't featured as prominently as hoped, or Slovan didn't want him because he wasn't playing up to what they hoped?

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I'd really like a Swedish-speaker to translate that quote for us. Is that saying he wanted to leave because he wasn't featured as prominently as hoped, or Slovan didn't want him because he wasn't playing up to what they hoped?

It assume Slovan. Sorry, should've specified. FWIW, I also google translated it, lolol.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It assume Slovan. Sorry, should've specified. FWIW, I also google translated it, lolol.
Yeah I did the same. I don't know. Unless they signed him to a big contract (which is unlikely), then it's hard to see how a team like Slovan would be in a hurry to dump Virta, who posted decent production given that team sucks.

Reactions: Joey Bones

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
What are the expectations for him?

I'm not sure it's necessarily a performance issue with Virta. Maybe he just doesn't feel at home in Slovakia. It's not exactly a destination for people. It's possible he'll be more comfortable in Sweden where he speaks the language (most Finns speak Swedish).

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He did officially sign with Orebro, if there was any doubt to that. He'll join the team this weekend. This is according to the team's website.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad