Prospect Info: With the (2013) #46 pick, the Wild select (D) Gustav Olofsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
The best thing about Olofsson's development, with Suter/Brodin/Scandella either playing the left side (or able to, in Brodin's case) in the NHL already, is that we can legitimately afford to wait 2-4 years for him to develop in Iowa. On the other hand, if he forces us to bring him up sooner, we can always move Brodin back over to the right side and find a place for him.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Is he injured all this year or something? I cant find any stats for him this season anywhere. Who would you consider a comparable?

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Is he injured all this year or something? I cant find any stats for him this season anywhere. Who would you consider a comparable?

He was injured in the pre-season vs the Jets and never came back. He had a "procedure" that was noted in October and was said to be a long term injury.

It was never clarified beyond being an upper-body injury, and the procedure suggests it was something that needed surgery to correct.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
I think he's going to try and play before Iowa's season is over...not sure but I'm pretty certain I've seen Russo say that once or twice before.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
I think he's going to try and play before Iowa's season is over...not sure but I'm pretty certain I've seen Russo say that once or twice before.

Well at one point everyone was targeting for his comeback to be mid/late January.

And obviously he never made it.

Then the target was beginning of February.

He didn't make that, either.

No timetable has been released. Kind of disappointing, tbh.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Really hope he isn't rushing himself back... I know he wants AHL experience, but he's not going to save Iowa's season.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Update on Olofsson in Russo's blog for today:
Defenseman Gustav Olofsson’s first professional year in Iowa has been wrecked because of early-season shoulder surgery after one game, but the Wild hopes to get him back in a few weeks.

The 2013 second-round pick has started non-contact skating, although if Olofsson doesn’t feel completely comfortable once he takes contact, his return could be delayed.
“Everything has been positive so far regarding his recovery, but we’re not going to be rushing him,” assistant GM Brent Flahr said.

“It’s a shame. The injury set him back, but he has worked hard and hopefully can … have a big summer and come in strong next year.”

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Looking forward to watching him develop over the next few seasons in Iowa. We can most certainly take our time with this kid.

El Nino22

Nov 19, 2010
Olofsson is definitely the forgotten prospect right now. He's going to need a couple years in Iowa but he's got a great skill set and frame to grow into.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Yes he looked very promising to be honest.

But surely he's not going to make it. Anti-jinxed it!:yo:

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
Its worth keeping in mind that Olofsson missed the last year growth wise and would likely be playing better. He is a bright prospect for sure and I am happy to have him. Also it would be good if the Iowa team wasn't a stain but hey can't have it all.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
He looked really good, just got nervous on that scoring chance w/ Vanek imo. Could have easily had his first goal there.

We're so deep on defense, Iowa really needs to get their **** together.

Suter, Spurgeon, Scandella, Brodin, Dumba, Folin, Reilly, Olofsson, Prosser

Reailistically, we could be rolling:

Suter - Brodin

Scandella - Spurgeon

Olofsson - Folin/Prosser

Dumba either needs some time to rehabilitate his hurt foot or he needs to find his game again in the AHL. Honestly, Dumba looks terrible in his own end with the puck right now, the guy is a very one-dimensional offensive defenseman. His skills come from offense, he would have been fun to test at RW that one game we had 7 defensemen playing.

Anyways, if you send him down, Reilly and Dumba can work together or Olofsson and Dumba.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Goose was recalled today, and he should play vs. Dallas.

Wonder if he'll be re-assigned once Scandella's back? Seems likely given the comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad