Prospect Info: With the 101st Overall Pick the New York Rangers Select Nico Gross

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I really don't think Gross will have a problem finding a team. I wouldn't be shocked at all if an NHL team grabbed him on reentry (if that's still a possibility) or signed him as a free agent. I also don't think he'll have any problem finding European employment if that's what he decides to do. Four straight years on the Swiss WJC team would lead me to think the NLA would certainly be an option and pretty much right away.

Zug already wants him if he doesn't play in the AHL.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Notice the birth dates on those guys. They're old. Only 79 of the 541 guys on that list are "active" players. When Bernie Nicholls was drafted in the fourth round in 1980 there were 21 teams. If he was picked in 2019, he'd be the 11th pick of the third round. If Gross was drafted in 1980 he'd have been picked at the tail end of the fifth round. The 1970 draft with Gilles Meloche and Billy Smith going in the fifth round had 14 teams. The fourth round today isn't the fourth round of twenty years ago or forty years ago.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
good point, a similar list just of guys drafted 100 or later could thin that herd....

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
you should be, they wasted away picks on too many Dmen, you don't need so many Dmen. With Dmen you need to go for quality not quantity.

We are talking 2018. We didn't have Robertson, Trouba, Jones or Fox at the time. Reunanen, Lindgren, Rykov, Hajek, Pionk, Keane Lundkvist and Miller were all still question marks.

You do understand this, right? That the point you're trying to make with the knowledge of June 2020 doesn't really apply in June 2018...

Reactions: Ranger Ric

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Sure, I misspoke. I think McKegg may be back as well, despite being UFA. Some of the other RFAs like Raddysh or Nieves could be back, too. Regardless of the designation my point is that 50 contracts isn't a concern--we could clear 10-12 guys from the roster overnight if we wanted to, and replace a lot of those AHL guys like Gropp, Crawley, Fontaine, Leedahl, whatever, with AHL deals.

McKegg shouldnt be back, if they are serious about this rebuild they gotta put some faith in the minors and let guys like Nieves, Gettinger or whoever take that spot for cheaper money and if not spend the money on someone who is better. McKegg doesn't move the needle for me to justify bringing him back.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
We are talking 2018. We didn't have Robertson, Trouba, Jones or Fox at the time. Reunanen, Lindgren, Rykov, Hajek, Pionk, Keane Lundkvist and Miller were all still question marks.

You do understand this, right? That the point you're trying to make with the knowledge of June 2020 doesn't really apply in June 2018...

Plus dmen are valuable assets, there's nothing saying we can't move those guys for players we need. The Keane trade is a good example.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

I think the lack of understanding is on your part in terms of who you are responding to

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Little disappointed we didnt atleast get a pick for gross if we werent planning on keeping him.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
McKegg shouldnt be back, if they are serious about this rebuild they gotta put some faith in the minors and let guys like Nieves, Gettinger or whoever take that spot for cheaper money and if not spend the money on someone who is better. McKegg doesn't move the needle for me to justify bringing him back.
I mean whether it's McKegg or someone like him, they will sign a couple guys to NHL SPCs to play in Hartford. McKegg made $750K this year, which means his salary counts for nothing in Hartford, and would actually be less than most of the guys on ELCs in the NHL. You need guys like him in the organization--someone with experience who is on or at the minimum and can step in if needed.

And even if you disagree, it's gonna happen. With McKegg or O'Regan or some other guys.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018

I still say common sense is to draft about twice as many forwards as dmen, not 50/50 and with Dmen go for quality rather than quantity because the Dmen have to be good and you usually dress only 6.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Notice the birth dates on those guys. They're old. Only 79 of the 541 guys on that list are "active" players. When Bernie Nicholls was drafted in the fourth round in 1980 there were 21 teams. If he was picked in 2019, he'd be the 11th pick of the third round. If Gross was drafted in 1980 he'd have been picked at the tail end of the fifth round. The 1970 draft with Gilles Meloche and Billy Smith going in the fifth round had 14 teams. The fourth round today isn't the fourth round of twenty years ago or forty years ago.

so what, about 130 that were drafted recently still prospects but not made it to the NHL yet. Who cares how many active. 79 is not a small number that is almost 13% of NHL teams as you can almost ice 4 out of 31 teams with just the 4th rounders.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I still say common sense is to draft about twice as many forwards as dmen, not 50/50 and with Dmen go for quality rather than quantity because the Dmen have to be good and you usually dress only 6.

The year prior they drafted 5 forwards and 2 defensemen. In 2016 they drafted 3 forwards, 2 defensemen. In 2015 they drafted 5 forwards and 1 defenseman.

That's a total of 13 forwards and 5 defensemen. Looks like they had to make up a bit of ground in terms of defensemen in 2018 according to your logic.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
so what, about 130 that were drafted recently still prospects but not made it to the NHL yet. Who cares how many active. 79 is not a small number that is almost 13% of NHL teams as you can almost ice 4 out of 31 teams with just the 4th rounders.
Same site lists 970 active players (not including guys who haven't made it--like you mentioned). So 8% of the current NHL is made up of guys from round 4. Round 4 makes up 14% of the picks in the draft. What does all this mean? I don't know, they're just numbers. That late you just pick the best guy you think is available.

The last ten drafts we've taken 42 forwards, 24 defensemen, and 7 goalies. The F/D ratio is pretty close to your 2/1 thing. Without the 2018 draft where we grabbed Miller and Lundqvist (and Keane who became Gauthier), we'd be at 39 forwards and 18 defensemen--more than your 2/1 ratio. A forward-heavy draft can flip it again.

The team basically does what you propose, not sure what the complaint is.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
The year prior they drafted 5 forwards and 2 defensemen. In 2016 they drafted 3 forwards, 2 defensemen. In 2015 they drafted 5 forwards and 1 defenseman.

That's a total of 13 forwards and 5 defensemen. Looks like they had to make up a bit of ground in terms of defensemen in 2018 according to your logic.

good point, I guess it pissed me off they drafted 6 dmen in 2018. Also last draft I think Hunter Skinner pick should have been used on a forward considering they already had so many defensemen prospects and just drafted Robertson and Jones.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
SO Gross re enter so the draft? Does he go late ?

Either a late pick or undrafted and free to sign after the draft. If you're interested in Gross, and you have a chance in the 7th round, do you pick him or hope he goes undrafted and approach him afterwards?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad