With how stacked next year's draft is...do we tank for one more year or try to make the playoffs?

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Well then, do we spend one more year embracing the suck, or do we try to build a mediocre playoff team during the summer?

I don't believe they're attempting to build a mediocre playoff team. The young players are going to get their opportunities. They aren't going to throw big money at another UFA if they don't get Panarin.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Whether you want it or not, the rebuild is still going on. The team is a mix of green boys, talented veterans and grey veterans. This is still a bad team.

In any case the earliest I see the rebuild being over is in two years, when the anchor contracts are up. (repeating myself here)

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Well we will not tank on purpose, but we will still not be good at all. Getting another franchise forward like Lafreniere, Raymond, Byfield, Lundell, Holtz or Gunler would be great and could create a contender for years.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I don't believe they're attempting to build a mediocre playoff team. The young players are going to get their opportunities. They aren't going to throw big money at another UFA if they don't get Panarin.

I don't think we'll be throwing a big long term contract at another player. Pavelski was mentioned yesterday--a contract for 2/3 years I could see if we fail on Panarin. Have him coming off the books when our ELC's are coming into their second contracts. So the $ amount is not really something that f***s things up so much as the term length. But maybe not Pavelski either--though he is a leader type--and that enhances the rest of the package he brings--kind of like bringing Zucc back for a 3 year term.

I think the Rangers are going to try to pick up a free agent forward or two to enhance their offense though.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Here's my timeline...
2019 2020 rangers truly bottom out, finished bottom 3 in the league draft a superstar.
2020 2021 rangers finish just outside the playoffs but pick up major ground
2021 2022 rangers make the playoffs but get bounced in the first or 2nd round.
2022 2023 rangers win the cup.

I think that's an aggressive timeline. Apparently many people think it's not aggressive enough.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
We absolutely shouldn’t be buyers or trying to contend this year, but I would really like to avoid an Edmonton culture.
Buyers? no. I agree

Every team should be trying to contend. Having a season where the games actually mean something is better for this team going forward than a crappy season resulting in another high pick.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
I don't want to see them tank, per se, but I'd happily wave goodbye to Namestnikov etc at the deadline, assuming they don't get dealt before the season. Likewise, I don't want them trading away picks and prospects if they think they have a shot at the playoffs. Stay the course. If we sneak in, great. If we're bottom of the pile, great.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I think the window really opens in 2021-22 and stays open for a while.

2021-22 will be the third and final season of Kakko, Kravtsov, and Fox's ELCs. Shestyorkin, Rykov, and Chytil will be on second contracts. 2021-22 is the season the Rangers can really max out talent under the cap. After that, it might become trickier -- hard decisions made and guys moved for futures.

I would grab Panarin now, get some playoff experience for the kids, and go after 2021-22.

Last edited:

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
We absolutely shouldn’t be buyers or trying to contend this year, but I would really like to avoid an Edmonton culture.

This is such a frustrating comparison. And one that is utterly simplistic and lazy. The culture Edmonton has cultivated is far more complex than to be judged upon wins and loses. Some basics:

1. They have serious trouble attracting FA's.
2. They lose (in many cases dramatically), seemingly every single trade they make. (Hall, Eberle, even minor trades like Strome).
3. Their management is in constant disarray. From GM to Coach and on. There is absolutely no stability in that organization from players to management.
4. Their player development is utterly horrendous. They basically throw players to the sharks and say f*** it.

All four of these points are the complete inversion of the Rangers situation. Losing like last season hardly hurts kids. Losing again this season will again, not pose any issue.

The Rangers should never be compared to Edmonton. The situations are in no way comparable. Trying to rush progress for a team that is developing is almost surely as bad as purposefully tanking. We should be taking the exact same approach as we did last year, with a bigger role carved out for the youngsters (both the new ones and the ones who will have a year+ of experience under their belt).

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
I think this will be a better team than people expect. Tanking implies intentional losses. We didn't even tank last year. We just didn't win a lot. The team battled from the first game to the last. This season is wide open opportunity with young talented players who can seize it. If we wind up in the lottery again, I won't be sad, but if we make the playoffs it would be a good thing. I haven't been this excited for the puck to drop in years.

What leads you to believe that? The only way I could see anyone thinking this is through having relatively high, if not unrealistic expectations for our rookies.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
It'll be the same as last year.

This team sucks but they won't be a total ****show to the point where it affects the whole atmosphere of the team.

If they are a shitshow next season, Trouba is grossly overrated, Fox sucks, Kravtsov is nothing special, and Kaako isn't a franchise player, and we have all been sold total bullshite.

If these players are as advertised and there is expected progress among Chytil, Anderson, and Howden at al, this team will at the very least be a legit playoff contender.

If the above isn't true Gorton is a buffoon. I don't think he is.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
This team might make the playoffs if they sign Panarin. Don't underestimate what Kakko can do as a rookie. This is not a 160 pound child like Hughes. This kid is a man, physically ready for the NHL. You add 2 guys like that to your roster and get a full, behavioral mature year from DeAngelo, this team can win a lot more than last year. Despite their record last year, they lost a ton of one goal games. Blowing many in the third period.

Hughes is a child?

Yeah, right.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers play their young guys. Hayes, Zuccarello, Kreider and Vesey along with Zibanejad received the most ice time for Rangers forwards last season. The Rangers are looking to move Kreider and Vesey. More young guys will play more minutes this season than last season.

The Rangers are a competitive team like last season but they miss the playoffs and in the mix for a top pick in the lottery. That's the best path. One more top young player added to the Rangers mix.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
What leads you to believe that? The only way I could see anyone thinking this is through having relatively high, if not unrealistic expectations for our rookies.
Because I think people like you believe they are going to go out and get killed every night. Therefore, I think they will be better than that. I think people are underestimating the group and the coaching staff. I think Quinn is a good teacher, and he's a good communicator. I think the dynamic of almost all young players eager to impress and keep their lineup spot combined with the obvious available threat of giving that spot to a new young player should you not bring your battle level and attention to detail on a nightly basis will add up to more than people like you expect. The key is if the group buys in, and I am betting they do.

Last edited:

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Buyers? no. I agree

Every team should be trying to contend. Having a season where the games actually mean something is better for this team going forward than a crappy season resulting in another high pick.
Seemed almost every post game Valiquette said something like "yes, they lost again by a goal, or in OT........but they got alot out of it, as opposed to a 6-1 thumping. The game meant something".

So yeah, I am down for a similar season and yet another potential lottery pick. But NO HOW, and in NO WAY will I ever accept losing games in which there was no heart. Quinn will never allow that.

It should be a season of enjoying watching Kakko and Trouba taking the ice in a Rangers uni for the 1st time, and the emergence of Buchnevich, Chytil and Howden. The stability of Hank, Zbad, Strome and possibly Kreids.

Have meaningful games. But this team should at the very least be entertaining and hopefully getting better with experience.

Reactions: DrewN and Faceless

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
If they are a ****show next season, Trouba is grossly overrated, Fox sucks, Kravtsov is nothing special, and Kaako isn't a franchise player, and we have all been sold total bull****e.

If these players are as advertised and there is expected progress among Chytil, Anderson, and Howden at al, this team will at the very least be a legit playoff contender.

Yeah those Crosby and Malkin guys sure busted hard after being one of the worst teams in the league their rookie seasons. Certainly not franchise players.

Reactions: Faceless

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
If they are a ****show next season, Trouba is grossly overrated, Fox sucks, Kravtsov is nothing special, and Kaako isn't a franchise player, and we have all been sold total bull****e.

He said they aren't going to be a shitshow. Just as it wasn't really a shitshow last season.

But if you are expecting this team to be a 'legit playoff contender,' then you are probably setting relatively unrealistic expectations for our rookies. Fox, Kravtsov, even Kaako are unlikely to come in and set the world on fire.

Joe Thornton had 7 points in his first NHL season. In his second he had 41. People need to stop thinking these kids are just going to waltz in and put up 20 goals and 40-50 points.

You also have to take into account that we subtracted Hayes and Zucc and are replacing them with rookies. We very well still may subtract Kreider or another more veteran player like Vesey or Names. Expecting rookies to replace the production of quality, NHL forwards is not practical.

The Rangers are probably going to suck next year. And as long as they play exactly the way they did this year, I'm completely fine with it. If they exceed expectations and somehow fight to be a bubble team, good for them. But I'm hardly expecting it and firmly believe anyone that is, is going to be frustrated and letdown.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

All of Trouba, Fox, Karvtsov, and Kakko could have very good years and this team could still be bad. Look at their center depth.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
You mean, you don't have faith in Strome as the 2C?
I know you are making a pun, but I have to say that Strome had a very solid half season with us. He played hard and did some nice things. A 2C? Yeah, maybe as a temp. Then again, exactly WHO of Howden, Lias and Chytil will be able to do handle 2nd line duties? Asking alot.

As it is, Zbad could struggle as 1c without Zuccha and possibly Kreids. Again, asking alot. Not thinking Zbad will score 35+ thats for sure. Unless the PP kicks some serious ass.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
I know you are making a pun, but I have to say that Strome had a very solid half season with us. He played hard and did some nice things. A 2C? Yeah, maybe as a temp. Then again, exactly WHO of Howden, Lias and Chytil will be able to do handle 2nd line duties? Asking alot.

As it is, Zbad could struggle as 1c without Zuccha and possibly Kreids. Again, asking alot. Not thinking Zbad will score 35+ thats for sure. Unless the PP kicks some serious ass.

I am perfectly fine with Strome at 2C for next season.

But I am also of the belief that we should be focused on development next year. I do not think Strome is the 2C on a playoff team. I think he is the 2C on a bad team.

Anyone thinking we are going to compete next year should first look at our center depth then ask 2 questions.

1. Is this the center depth of a playoff team (obvious answer should be no).

2. What realistically can be done to fix this before the season starts (other than signing Pavelski - which is highly unlikely).

Reactions: jas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad