With both TB and Pens out the SC race it is now wide open. Who wins it?

With both TB and Pens out the SC race it is now wide open. Who wins it?

• Total voters

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
With TB and the Pens out of the PO's already the fight for the SC is now wide open. Who do you think can win it all.

My guess is the Caps or Leafs in the east.
Knights or Jets in the west.

With TB now out any team that survives the 1st round has a good chance to win it all.

Alexei Yashvalev

Nov 15, 2006
Victoria B.C.
I like how Columbus isn't in this poll's options.

Honestly though this changes a lot less than you think. That Tampa team was extremely mentally weak and the Penguins just weren't that good this year.

Washington has to be the favourite until they lose, I'd think. Columbus, New York and Vegas look real good too.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
I like how Columbus isn't in this poll's options.

Honestly though this changes a lot less than you think. That Tampa team was extremely mentally weak and the Penguins just weren't that good this year.

Washington has to be the favourite until they lose, I'd think. Columbus, New York and Vegas look real good too.

Sorry about that, I did not intend to skip them especially after what they did to TB. CBJ are now in the poll. I should of caught that myself but I didn't. My bad. Thanks for pointing it out to me. It is now corrected.

Reactions: bobholly39

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Caps were the best team coming in and Tampa and pens going out doesn't change that.

Tampa was clearly the best team coming into the playoffs. Maybe you liked Caps chances better based on cup win - but the best team was Tampa.

I think Caps are ecstatic now. The best team in the east is out - and the Pens, the team who likely gives them the most trouble, is also out. The path to the finals is certainly wide open.

I still feel like it doesn't happen. Only one team in past 20 years has ever repeated as a champ so it's a very rare occurrence. They do look good though - esp Ovi.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Tampa was clearly the best team coming into the playoffs. Maybe you liked Caps chances better based on cup win - but the best team was Tampa.

I think Caps are ecstatic now. The best team in the east is out - and the Pens, the team who likely gives them the most trouble, is also out. The path to the finals is certainly wide open.

I think people liked Caps because they are the champions. And because, you know, they beat both Tampa and Pittsburgh last season.

Pens being out changes very little - they weren't gonna go deep this year.
Tampa being out does change it a bit - but they were dismantled by a team that looks to be built for playoffs, no shame in that.

Whoever comes out of the East will be a tough cookie to crack. Jackets, Isles, all these teams are for real.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I think people liked Caps because they are the champions. And because, you know, they beat both Tampa and Pittsburgh last season.

Pens being out changes very little - they weren't gonna go deep this year.
Tampa being out does change it a bit - but they were dismantled by a team that looks to be built for playoffs, no shame in that.

Whoever comes out of the East will be a tough cookie to crack. Jackets, Isles, all these teams are for real.

You can say Caps were favorites based on cup win/experience - but the "best team" was Tampa. That's all I said and i think that's undeniable. Doesn't mean they have to technically be the favorites.
I agree Pens looked underwhelming all season long - but it doesn't matter, in a Caps/Pens matchup, judging from the last 3 years - it's a matchup that looked like it could go either way if it happened again this year. I'm sure Caps are happy to not have to go through Pitt this year, as it's never a given.

Outside of Capitals - I think Boston/Toronto are ecstatic too. Their path to the finals - or at least the ECF - just got a lot more wide open. Not that Columbus isn't a great team - but it's still not Tampa. Easier to contend with.

Mar 26, 2010
Hopefully Toronto, if they can play to their potential. Lots of skill.

I would not sleep on Columbus or the NYI. Two massive 1st round sweeps.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Who ****ing knows who will be coming out of the East at this point.

:laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: GoldenSeal

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
San Jose. Deep lineup, you got Burns and EK, two good goalies, a history of playoff success... all the way, San Jose.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !

I still feel like it doesn't happen. Only one team in past 20 years has ever repeated as a champ so it's a very rare occurrence. They do look good though - esp Ovi.

Then again, in the last 10 years only 5 different teams won. 13 in 20 years...so repeating is definitely there.

I honesty think every team in West just got better chances of winning because I had a feeling this year it was going to be East. But I strongly hope I'm wrong and Bruins take another one home.

A lot of people are ignoring what Columbus did at the TDL tho. They are all in, and they have the potential, the motivation to go all in (not that others teams do not). Columbus was built for these playoffs, if Bob, Panarin, Duchene go in the summer, who knows how long it will take to be this good again. All other teams, exception 1-2 players are the same squads they were last year.

nothingbeatshockey

May 3, 2013
CBJ won 10 of the last 11 going into the playoffs and just absolutely dismantled the recording setting regular season President's Trophy winning Lightning. Talk about peaking at the right time.

I don't see how CBJ isn't the favorite right now. The only caveat is that the one team they've lost to in the last 15 games in a dismantling by Boston.

Unless the caps find some playoff mojo, they may not even get past Carolina. Even if they do, the Isles would not be an easy out .... at all.

From the East, I'd say it's CBJ.
From the west, hard to ignore what the VGK are doing.

SC final prediction is CBJ vs VGK.

Reactions: McDLT

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The Knights. They're the best team in the West, don't care what the standings say and they already know what it takes to go far.

And they're better than last year.

But the Caps are right there. Could see a rematch.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I just want to know how much anguish and impotent rage will be expressed here if the Canes win the next 3 straight. "Muh integrity of the sport" etc...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: