Winterfest

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I think they wrongly assumed that people would want to be a part of the WC experience even if they weren't able to land WC tickets. The issue is, most people only want to be part of the WC. Michigan and Michigan State have both played in multiple outdoor games already (I believe this was the fifth and sixth times for UM), so the appeal for their fans was effectively nill. Western and Tech, god love them, don't really have particularly engaged fan/alumni bases. The Whalers and Spirit barely have fans at all, and I wonder if most casual Wings fans are even properly aware of what the Griffins are. It's not the same thing and people weren't going to waste time and money in the cold for it.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I was down there today. Not a capacity crowd but the place felt like it may as well have been. The Fan Zone was a nuthouse.

Aug 6, 2012
35k+ were in attendance according to them. I was really surprised at how many Wings fans were there. I think some of you are overreacting to the "lack" of people at the events. For a place where hockey is #3 in the sports market, it's done fine.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
I was worried that the game was going to be all TO fans but it seemed the Wings fans turned out. At least on TV it sounded like there were a lot more wings fans

MissNHL

Oct 31, 2008
Hockeytown, Michigan
I worked inside the fan zone and attended 1 day of the GLI, OHL and Alumni games. Friday was the slowest day. It got busier as the events went on. Alumni games was by far the busiest at the park and inside the fan zone. The heated tents were always full and certain outdoor games were popular. Also, the Tigers Club was open to the public except on the day of the Alumni games.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2011
Detroit
Everyone I talked to that went to the WC game said it was almost evenly split and had a blast. I watched all the games from home and wish I would've went. The Alumni games looked like a ton of fun, overall the whole thing looked like a blast regardless.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Same here :laugh: I figured they were trying to split the fans like in the commercial... didn't really work out.

It worked out as well as it could have. Pretty much had blue on one side and red on the other. Was a great sight.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
It worked out as well as it could have. Pretty much had blue on one side and red on the other. Was a great sight.

The funnier sight was how many fans were there together, but with blue and red split allegiances. The Great Family Divide.

And they all seemed to like each other, unlike say a Philly vs NYR game, or B's against anyone else. :laugh:

Aug 6, 2012
The Toronto fans, around me at least, were very tolerable. It was probably the most surprising part of the day.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
The Toronto fans, around me at least, were very tolerable. It was probably the most surprising part of the day.

From what I saw they were fantastic. The worst thing they did was chant "Go Leafs Go" :laugh: even on the shuttle a Leafs fan brushed the snow off of my jacket and we all had a laugh about it. They were great, much different than dealing with most Hawks fans :handclap:

I was shocked when I saw that walking out of the concourse. I thought it was just the commercial set like that. The fact that they got the fans like that for the game is fantastic... apparently I was on the wrong side :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad